Week 4 - Falcons talk

Stripes

2 things -

1.  Reports are out that Eifert suffered a broken ankle that will need surgery, and he’s out for the year.

2.  I honestly would rather have AJ Green than Julio Jones.  The Bengals got the better of that draft.  Julio’s great and I love watching him play, but AJ is the more polished, better catching, and just seems to be a bigger threat.  Julio is huge and is kind of like a bludgeon.  Our corners were barely even willing to dive at his feet.  AJ has a strangely deceptive quality to his game.  I can’t explain it but that last touchdown was an example.

My quick thoughts (I missed most of second half because my Mom fell and was taken to ER and I went to help figure that out - she's mostly fine luckily) - so I was hit and miss on events of second half:

1. Generally, that is exactly the kind of game the Bengals by tradition lose - they tend to come up short in shoot-outs, and adversity like losing Eifert in the way that they lost him is something that they have to been able to overcome. That they did yesterday, felt special to me as a fan. These are the kinds of wins that can springboard a team to bigger things.

2. Bill Lazor is REALLY good at his job, especially given the state of things in the NFL where the teams that are good have really creative minds calling plays and putting the foot down. Thank god they went to him last year and kept him in place. 

3. That the offense held serve the last few weeks without Mixon and dealing with in-game injuries is a testament to Lazor and to Dalton who is running that team as well as at any point in his career.

4. I haven't seen a qb-wr connection in this town aimed at being able to move the sticks in critical spots since Carson-TJ. The Dalton to Boyd thing is really important, as Green will always draw the heavier coverage.

5. As for the defense, hopefully Burfict is over the foot issue at the end of camp and ready to go, because they dearly miss a leader to get them in the right spots and make some tackles. I suspect just having him on the field with his intensity will help the others do a better job at tackling, because the missed tackles in that scheme are killers. 

6. The roughing calls really are whole ass. As are the random other calls that make no sense. Officiating is truly as bad as I can remember it ever being. 

I had them 2-2 after that stretch in my pre-season thoughts, and still had them getting to 11-5. That they came out of that 3-1 is huge, given how unfair I thought the initial four games were from the schedulers. Devastating to lose Eifert, but hopefully enough firepower and development from Uzomah to help cover it - and Boyd's development with Andy now huge because Eifert was his other security blanket. Getting Mixon back now should help a ton as well.

• Like 1

Mixon is faster, and has a few more moves. Noting that isn't slagging Gio. But this team is better offensively with Mixon back than without him. Gio was every bit as good as I figured he would be,  but he also clearly ran out of gas at the end of this one (I mean, he wasn't available on the final drive, dinged/gassed - Walton was in). He's a supporting back, as opposed to finisher. And that's not a knock on Gio.  With Eifert gone, having both Mixon and Gio hopefully 100% will be essential going forward. 

Yeah, everyone says that, and yet...we've never seen Mixon do this consistently.  Everyone is making assumptions.

No big deal, and I agree that the Mixon/Bernard combo is ideal.  I simply question which of those two is truly 1A and 1B.

As for Mixon having more "moves"....ehhhh, I'm not convinced:

giotd.gif

Mixon closed out the Ravens game, hurt. He was clearly doing what he was asked as a bellwether back in games 1 and 2. I see what the coaches see. Mixon being back is huge, because he is a clear #1 back and it moves Gio back to the change-up back role that he is best at. While Gio can step in as a 1 for a game or two, that isn't gonna work long-term. And, like I said, he didn't even make it to the crucial last drive yesterday...

A lot of great comments in this thread 

Probably the best I’ve seen Redmond play.  I didn’t get upset at him as far as I recall.   

Terrible defence in the nfl this year and the bengals are one of them.  Just wow. No words.  I am stoked they are 3-1. Lazier and Dalton are crushing it.  Pollack’d guys have pretty much kept Andy from being killed.  But it’s been close a couple times.  Love beating Matt Ryan for some reason.  

Was keeping up with the score while in Indy for the weekend, but could only watch the highlights of the game.
Every time I go to Lucas Oil Stadium, I always walk away impressed.  They not only had the dome open, but the side wall as well, which is huge. 
Really just an awesome stadium experience they have going on there that I don't get when I have gone to PBS.

That being said, sucks to lose Eifert and I really feel bad for him.  However, I don't think they lose "much" with Uzomah in the lineup.
That's a shit ton of points to give up by our defense and really hope they can figure that out because this offense is just scary good.

I called for drafting Gio and have loved him since watching him at UNC.  He was always an explosive back and I knew he would be a solid player for us.
However, Mixon truly looks like a complete back.  No shade being thrown at Gio, but I'm more comfortable with Mixon as the #1 and Gio spelling him.
I love our stable of RB's though and hope they continue to produce well in this offense.  Just stay healthy men !!!

On to the Dolphins !!!

42 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

talk to the Browns.....

Bengals win, Rapistburgers lose. great weekend.

Talk to the Falcons. Back to back games at home they put up 36+ points and lost both. 

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I suspect they'd be trying Hopkins at RT if Price wasnt injured

Just so we're clear, ya'all, I want OL in the first and second round again this next draft

GIMME A LINEMAN!

You do acknowledge that lineman are struggling out of college a lot of places nowadays - that picks are struggling and busting at other teams besides cincinnati? Just saying, drafting lineman in first few rounds doesn’t guarantee competence from the draftees - see , for example, ogbuehi and fisher...

6 hours ago, membengal said:

You do acknowledge that lineman are struggling out of college a lot of places nowadays - that picks are struggling and busting at other teams besides cincinnati? Just saying, drafting lineman in first few rounds doesn’t guarantee competence from the draftees - see , for example, ogbuehi and fisher...

I think you have to guy T and LB next year in the first 2 picks 

5 hours ago, skyline said:

You guys clearly haven't been paying attention to drafts in the Marvin era.

They're going CB.  Book it now.

Sure he'll be a cornerback, but he'll only have played corner for his junior season, converted from being a receiver.  Also missed his senior year due to injury which we are pretty sure is healed.  Also, he'll have an exceptionally long tibia or something like that, longest ever measured at the combine.