Washington @ Bengals (London) Game Thread

HoosierCat

48 minutes ago, Dimster28 said:

for Cardinals game which is on tv now, I am fully support Panthers for this game fuck Cardinals for ruin my day.

It appears the Cardinals seem focused on ruining their own day. Carson Palmer is already bleeding from the nose and it isn't halftime yet.

And as I type that out he throws a TD pass.

13 minutes ago, Dimster28 said:

This has nothing to do with Marvin. I just watched Carson Palmer get an Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty. He should have gotten flagged for that upon his exit from Cincinnati.

All this tie did was make things more definitive.  

Anything less than 6-2 here on out will result in no playoffs.

8-7-1 no way that gets them in.

9-6-1 almost certain that gets them in.

At this point, a dud season might actually be the best course of action to shake things up.  Get a better draft pick, etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Another game goes into OT. Raiders kicker just missed the game winning FG. Seems to be a trend today.

Things are mediocre all across the league this year.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/there-are-no-great-nfl-teams-this-year/

1 minute ago, cincyhokie said:

All this tie did was make things more definitive.  

Anything less than 6-2 here on out will result in no playoffs.

8-7-1 no way that gets them in.

9-6-1 almost certain that gets them in.

At this point, a dud season might actually be the best course of action to shake things up.  Get a better draft pick, etc.

All of this. My only addition is that I judge the chance they go 6-2 or better to be roughly the same as Blutarsky's grade point average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

I feel sorry for anyone who started the Bengals defense on their fantasy team this week. Major negative points.

I did ......and it was against Billys Bad Boys !!!

Jeebus cripes, looking at Twitter and fan boards, Skins fans are whining at the volume of a billion crying babies. Did you all know that the Bengals only got a tie because they're dirty and the refs were outrageously on their side and it's a conspiracy by the NFL to do something something WAAA WAAA WAAA!!!

Makes me feel suddenly warm about this game.

2 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Jeebus cripes, looking at Twitter and fan boards, Skins fans are whining at the volume of a billion crying babies. Did you all know that the Bengals only got a tie because they're dirty and the refs were outrageously on their side and it's a conspiracy by the NFL to do something something WAAA WAAA WAAA!!!

Yeah, the refs always favor the Bengals. They're stupid that way.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Things are mediocre all across the league this year.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/there-are-no-great-nfl-teams-this-year/

Every year I found myself watching as many game as I could and the prime time games, this year it is quite opposite. 

I will watch or listen to the bengals, but after that I don't watch games anymore. I hate what the NFL is becoming. 

Maybe it's because my 2 year old is screeming for Mickey the whole time or my 6 year old girl hates football. I played fantasy football for the last 15 years I even quite that. I bought the NFL game pass again this year 99 dollars and I'm sort of regretting that as well.

Well maybe all of this because of how the bengals are playing, but I just can't get into it like I have other years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

It seems every fan base has a growing segment in which they believe the league is against their team.   Even Steelers and Patriots, lol.

IMO, it stems from this expectation in sports that every call must be made and made correctly.    I always grew playing/watching expecting the officials to be competent enough to make sure the game was executed with a natural error rate of missed/blown calls.

Probably part of the reason the ratings are down because the networks by into it and promote that thinking by harping on missed calls.  Over officiating destroys flow of the game, adds dead time, and of course pro longs the game.

Another part is the rules are not solid and fans don't know what being called anymore.  Every network has the former NFL ref expert on call during the broadcast.   That should be a red flag.

Game Pass shows this perfectly.   The condensed version with just action takes an 1 hour to watch yesterdays Bengals v. Skins OT match up.  The broadcast was over 4 hours.

But whatever if that's what they want to sell so be it, I guess.

16 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Every year I found myself watching as many game as I could and the prime time games, this year it is quite opposite. 

I will watch or listen to the bengals, but after that I don't watch games anymore. I hate what the NFL is becoming. 

Maybe it's because my 2 year old is screeming for Mickey the whole time or my 6 year old girl hates football. I played fantasy football for the last 15 years I even quite that. I bought the NFL game pass again this year 99 dollars and I'm sort of regretting that as well.

Well maybe all of this because of how the bengals are playing, but I just can't get into it like I have other years.

It's tough to stay excited about a team that stubbornly insists on locking itself into a losing strategy. Year after year they do the same thing and expect different results. They win just enough games to get to the postseason, at which point they promptly collapse, because while they are talented enough to get there, they aren't talented enough to win there. Next comes free agency, where year after year they bleed talent while signing some old, washed-up dudes. Then in the draft they pick guys who are already injured or who promptly get injured. And finally they come up with a new t-shirt slogan in camp that is forgotten as soon as the season starts (remember "pound the rock?" Dalton is 9th in passing attempts and 4th in yards so far this year). This year they might foul up the "get to the postseason" part but other than that I don't expect the cycle to change. I think I stick with this team more out of inertia than anything else.

21 hours ago, volcom69 said:

I'm with you.  In my opinion the NFL has some competition issues that are turning viewers off.  

Did anyone look forward to Sunday's big Patriots-Bills showdown?  I wouldn't have watched if you paid me.  And that game happens twice a year.  Tom Brady is 26-3 versus the Bills.  The parity the league has tried to instill has worked in some ways, and it has failed in others.

I'm just not interested in a league in which so many things seem preordained.  Teams like the Steelers and the Patriots seem to get every break from the league, then on top of it they blatantly cheat, and said cheating, instead of resulting in meaningful penalties, is somehow exalted and celebrated as showing how "competitive" the team is.  

The Patriots filmed opposing teams' walkthroughs, they stole signs during games, they deflated the balls, etc.  And that's just some of the things we know about.  Sure they get fines and suspensions.  Which have approximately zero deterrent effect.  Then the NFL media and game commentators just slobber all over that organization for doing things the "Patriot" way.

The Steelers?  Steroids in the 70s that absolutely wrecked the lives of some of their players.  It's beyond pathetic what some of those guys went through.  Kicking punters in the face and breaking their jaws?  Crown shots to the head and injuring guys like Rivers?  Knockout hits like we saw last year on Gio?  All evidence of good ol' fashioned Steeler football!  Meanwhile your team, assuming you are a fan of one of the 28 or so "unchosen," gets attacked if they get too uppity, if they play too rough.  Also, please don't complain if the Steelers, or the Patriots, or the Seahawks, etc., injure a player on your team, or if your team gets jobbed out of a game by the referees against one of these teams.  Don't you know that's just part of the game?  Bad calls happen all the time!  Sorry, Raiders, the tuck rule game stole a playoff game from your team, and the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl.  Super Bowl XL win by the Steelers?  Try watching that game and not laughing at the defensive holding by the Steelers, the blatant blown calls that helped hand that game to Pittsburgh.  

I'm just tired of it.  The whole narrative of there are these certain organizations that have figured it out, and everyone else can take it, has really grown stale for me.  I really have no interest in watching games involving any of these legacy type organizations.  There is something illegitimate about them.  

I watch the Bengals games and thoroughly enjoy them.  Other games I will watch - almost none.  If there are two upstart teams, by that I mean two of the unchosen that happen to have that lightning in a bottle year, and they are playing each other, I'll enthusiastically watch those games.  Say when Carolina suddenly got good, let's say they were playing Tampa Bay, assuming Tampa suddenly had a good year.  I'll watch a game like that.  There does not seem to be any league favoritism in a game like that.  The players are playing hard and it's fair.  Turn on the tube on Sunday afternoon and watch the Steelers o-line give a clinic on holding while the d-line from some hapless team cries to an uncaring squad of officials?  Fuck that.  

• Like 1

You know what would have helped Sunday? Probably a lot?

Home field advantage. Crowd noise etc when we were on defense, trying to stop 3rd down conversions. Etc.

Nothing like playing a season with only 7 homes games. 

So wrong.