Bengals @ Jets Game Thread

HoosierCat

So happy with the result that I may skip the last beer ...... and give the mrs one instead !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Fuk yes Josh shaw!

Shaw had a strong game. 

Our tomato-can Center did not. Wow, he's bad. Leonard Williams is a beast but cmon, son. Have to give it more than that. Please they won but the O-line was shaky at best. Can't recall a game giving up 7 sacks and still winning. 

Dre Kirk struggled a bit, too. PI call set up one of their scores. 

Surprised Gio didn't get more touches, he seems ideal for the gimmick formation, out wide behind blockers. 

LaFell also showed he has some juice. 

A win is a win. 

• Like 1

@kingwilly yup, a win is indeed a win, but I honestly don't know how they pulled it off. The oline was on skates all day and while Bodine was terrible as usual everyone had struggles. Dalton had some mental errors too, probably seeing some rust there. The dline got little pressure and that exposed everyone behind them. And come the fuk on Marvin you don't roll Nuge out there for a 50+ shot unless it's the final seconds.

But somehow they scraped together just enough plays to pull it out. AJ Green was unbelievable. LaFell came through after being absent all preseason. Uzomah had a big play. Almost two. Hunt resurrected his college self long enough to block that kick. Hill willed himself into the end zone from 12 yards out. And while Army's favorite whipping boy Williams couldn't make the pick, Shaw could. And then Nuge made it look easy. Go figure.

If I'm the Bengals, I'm gonna take the W and get the hell out of town before the cops come looking for a thief!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

Shaw had a strong game. 

Our tomato-can Center did not. Wow, he's bad. Leonard Williams is a beast but cmon, son. Have to give it more than that. Please they won but the O-line was shaky at best. Can't recall a game giving up 7 sacks and still winning. 

Dre Kirk struggled a bit, too. PI call set up one of their scores. 

Surprised Gio didn't get more touches, he seems ideal for the gimmick formation, out wide behind blockers. 

LaFell also showed he has some juice. 

A win is a win. 

Hey Paul Alexander knows what he's doing he is a genius after all.Bodine will stay just like cook did and every crappy center we've had sense Richie 

Let's recap...

• Thrilled to have the win (and tiebreaker over the Jets)
  • Wouldn't want to face them again in January
  • Vintage bend but don't break D
  • New comers Hunt, Dre, Lewis-Harris and Shaw all showed positive things
  • Skill position players on offense all looked positive
  • Bodine had a miserable day against a D line that will do that to centers all year
  • I felt like Zeitler was cheating to try to help Ogbuehi at times.  Could have exposed Bodine more.

On to Shitsburgh, another big game with unresolved issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kazkal said:

For as banged up as we are team did well and will only get better once vontez and Tyler are back

When that happens this team will really

grab a gear and take off. As for today, I'm happy the Bengals got a win in New York.

If Dalton was rusty (and he probably was) - 77% completions in the face of the rush he dealt with is absolutely elite level QB play. Fact of the matter is, as long as we have Dalton and if this is now his level, we are one of the teams whose year could end in a Super Bowl at some point. 

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

If Dalton was rusty (and he probably was) - 77% completions in the face of the rush he dealt with is absolutely elite level QB play. Fact of the matter is, as long as we have Dalton and if this is now his level, we are one of the teams whose year could end in a Super Bowl at some point. 

I thought Dalton had some really great moments and some really bad moments.  AJ Green is a beast, Lafell had a great first game and the OC no matter who it is always seems to forget that we have a pretty stout run game.

Margus Hunt is my MVP on D

AJ Green is my MVP on O, even though he fell out of bounds on his own that one play, that would have been a long TD.

1 hour ago, jdeacon88 said:

I want to give you guys kudos on a great game Sunday. No serious injuries occurred thank god and we both look to have successful seasons this year. Hopefully you guys can go into Pittsburgh and smack the rapist around a bit for us in the future. 

I was sweating bullets there at the end. I like a good back and forth game, very entertaining.

42 minutes ago, membengal said:

Dalton was skittish in the early going but absolutely nails from there on out.        Pre-game convo was about what would the Bengals do when the Jets take out AJ Green using Revis or double coverage from a very good defense.

Dalton is showing that he's on a surgical level QBing right now.      Found our 3rd TE for catch and run 54 yards.

Of course, national media has to make excuses for Revis on being Burned by Green saying there should have been safety help.   Well yeah they are right but that's all Dalton finding the mismatch and Green being superior then putting that Safety in a tough spot.   If he gives help to Revis,  Dalton puts the ball on the other option for a big gain.   

It's going to be very difficult for teams to shut anything down on the Bengals offense with the recognition Dalton is showing.    MVP level for sure.

2 hours ago, jdeacon88 said:

I want to give you guys kudos on a great game Sunday. No serious injuries occurred thank god and we both look to have successful seasons this year. Hopefully you guys can go into Pittsburgh and smack the rapist around a bit for us in the future. 

Not for nothing but the Jets have all the tools to compete in the AFC East. The front 7 are brutal (7 sacks) and Forte seems to have lots to give. 

Hard to judge by one game but this match up could have gone either way. We were on positive end, given the block but easily could have ended up different. 

Jets were my brother's fav team growing up so it's good when the Jets are tough. Best of luck down the line. 

Over at JetNation Andy is getting a lot of love.

35 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I was actually really impressed with Dalton.

7 sacks, and he stood there and took it.  When he wasn't being sacked, he completed, what, 12 in a row at one point. 

Dalton deserves every prop coming his way today. To take the kind of pounding he did and still put up a triple-digit rating is impressive.

That said, the "pounding" part of yesterday's game is not a formula for long-term success. You can tell Ced is at the start of a steep learning curve and Bodine is Bodine -- and as good as he can be, Zeitler can't be in two places at once.

Getting Hill going would be a big help, Zampese.

The only negative that I will say towards "Jets Nation".    Your kicker didn't miss a 22 yd FG.   IT WAS BLOCKED!    Even Greenburg off Mike and Mike this morning tried to go down that path.   Bengals made the play it wasn't a dumb error by your kicker.

Edit:   The second  negative I will say towards "Jet Nation" -   Bengals are good at  WR screens because if you try to come up to quickly they'll go by you.   This isn't some strange play your D-Coordinator failed to recognize.   If you are more aggressive stomping out WR screens,  AJ goes by you eventually.  

Clearly a pick your poison situation for the Jets D.

Re the block, even if Hunt hadn't gotten a hand on it I'm not sure it would have been good. Folk really mishit that one. Does not by any means negate a good play, Hunt made sure it didn't go through, but it was a legitimately bad kick. At least it looked that way to me.