Falcons @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The center seemed to play well. Dennard, didn't even notice him. Newman had probably the best game I've seen him play. He made a lot of plays on throws targeting his receiver. Iloka looked really good, picks.

Have to say though that some of the great defensive back play, and there was a lot of it, came thanks to rushed passes. Even rushing 4 produced pressure several times. Atlanta really missed their starting left tackle. Our o-line gave Andy a really clean pocket on most plays.

That was a replica of san diego offense that beat us last January. Controlled large parts of game on ground, kept the qb clean. Dalton looks supremely in control of the offense right now to boot. He's handling pressure with superb results. And doing so missing so many of his weapons. Hard not to be a little giddy.

How many times has Dalton been sacked so far ?? What about INT's thrown ??

Yep, not hard to figure out what plays into being 2-0.

No mention of Pollak coming in for Zeitler and handling business huh ??

Gilberry also is a larger impact on this defense than most realize.

No I may not have been able to call much about how this game was going to shake out in regards to players, but I expected the win and got one.

I'm more than happy to be wrong about most everything else !!! :sure:

I was at the game yesterday (got the sunburn to prove it) and loved when the announced "Devon Still with the stop on the play" and seeing the crowd get on their feet and cheer loudly. It really was a great moment of the game and I was really happy for him.

Bunch of Falcons fans running their mouth before the game only to being forced to shut the f*ck up. Thank you defense.

Someone tell me again, didn't Matt Ryan get put into the "elite" category after last week ??

I'm pretty sure I counted three INT's for him yesterday.

Matt Stafford and the bestest WR in the league lost yesterday.

Drew Brees got beat by the Browns. Hell, Wilson and the Seahawks lost in what most called an "upset".

I'm sure when Dalton has a poor game, it will be the end of the world though.

He wasn't asked to throw the ball 50 times and looked good under pressure.

Stupid injuries !!!

I could have sworn I heard people here or elsewhere complaining about his yards per attempt.

He's currently leading the league at 9.07 yards per attempt.

He has others to thank for assisting with where he is at this point in time, but that makes me wonder...

How come when other QB's have good outings, it's because they are so freakin' awesome, but when Dalton has good outings, he owes someone else ??

AGAIN, I was hoping Dalton could improve upon the things he needed to and at this point, things are going well.

I'm simply hopeful that they will.

I could have sworn I heard people here or elsewhere complaining about his yards per attempt.

He has others to thank for assisting with where he is at this point in time, but that makes me wonder...

How come when other QB's have good outings, it's because they are so freakin' awesome, but when Dalton has good outings, he owes someone else ??

AGAIN, I was hoping Dalton could improve upon the things he needed to and at this point, things are going well.

It's because there is little objectivity anymore. People are trying to support the popular narrative. They throw out everything that doesn't fit it and only focus in on what does. They'll fight to keep that narrative alive as long as they can. "The Steelers and Ravens are the best in the division." "Dalton is a terrible QB."

It shows itself more and more. In sports, in politics, in the news.

I couldn't believe the blind complete belief that the Seahawks were going to crush the Chargers. A road team playing a playoff team and it was an "automatic win". All of the heads have clung onto these seemingly unwaiverables.

"The Broncos and Seahawks are the top in their conferences."

"The Saints are a SB team."

"The Ravens and Steelers don't lose to the Bengals, they give the game away."

And the list can go on and on....

Ken Broo said on the post game yesterday that if Dalton can have the majority of games with little or no turnovers, this team will win 12 games. I agree with him.

If Dalton can have the majority of games with NO turnovers, this team can go undefeated.

The injuries aren't really helping that matter at this point though.

Seriously though, don't turn over the ball and this team has a better than average chance of winning games.

I know that is always the thought for most teams, but ours happens to sport one of the best defenses in the league.

I think that bumps our chances considerably.

On a side note, I'm equally stoked about getting 4 tickets for the Monday night game against the Broncos on Ebay last night.

Section, 338, I think the 15th row. Price for all 4 seats ?? $180.00 !!! Score one for me !!!

It's because there is little objectivity anymore. People are trying to support the popular narrative. They throw out everything that doesn't fit it and only focus in on what does. They'll fight to keep that narrative alive as long as they can. "The Steelers and Ravens are the best in the division." "Dalton is a terrible QB."

It shows itself more and more. In sports, in politics, in the news.

We just had a long discussion about that at work last week. How do less-than-factual things get started, become the "truth" and get perpetuated even when they are not entirely true or the measuring line has changed. All I heard at the end of the season was about how the Steelers would have made the playoffs last year but dug themselves too big of a hole early. Sounds like the mid-90's Bengals to me.

Same as the other thread about the team becoming one of the better franchises in the league but not getting much recognition for it.

I can remember a time when the Patriots, Saints and Colts were awful. Among the worst teams around. However, they began winning regularly and people can only excuse that away for so long. Hopefully the Bengals are at the beginning of a long successful run to an eventual championship.

without AJ and Marvin, Bengals WRs don't scare anyone, so Atlanta could focus on stopping run... yet absolutely could not get it done. It was like watching OSU steamroll Indiana. Special game for Bernard and the OL, which then opened up the defense for the second team WRs.

going against a third team LT really helped. Injuries are really a story in the NFL this season.

Dennard, didn't even notice him.

Was just looking at the snap counts. He and Kirkpatrick only played on teams yesterday.

Thats really, really odd.

I'd figure one or the other or both would be on in dime packages to cover 4 wideout looks, which I'd figure the Falcons had to go to a lot when they got 2-3 scores behind

Falcons didn't go 4-wides much - too worried about trying (and failing) to protect Ryan.

Going against a third team LT really helped. Injuries are really a story in the NFL this season.

Sure it did and I think it would be silly to argue otherwise, but at the same time, the entire defense came to play.

They were getting pressure on Ryan and the secondary did a great job in coverage.

Seeing Iloka finally getting his hands on some throws was really nice as well.

Marvin had been talking him up and said if he can just find a way to get some INT's, he would be stellar.

Just like the other said, it's an established narrative that people refuse to let go of. Just like how the Bengals never win games, the other teams lose them. I read something like that about yesterday's game. It wasn't that the Bengals played well, it was that Matt Ryan didn't have a good game. They did it last year when they beat the Patriots and Packers, no credit was given to the Bengals. All anyone could say is that Brady and Rodgers didn't play up to their usual standards. No **** Sherlock. Why do you think that was?

Dennard, didn't even notice him.

Was just looking at the snap counts. He and Kirkpatrick only played on teams yesterday.

Thats really, really odd.

I'd figure one or the other or both would be on in dime packages to cover 4 wideout looks, which I'd figure the Falcons had to go to a lot when they got 2-3 scores behind

I hardly ever see bengals in a dime defense, they love there Nickle to much.

Just like the other said, it's an established narrative that people refuse to let go of. Just like how the Bengals never win games, the other teams lose them. I read something like that about yesterday's game. It wasn't that the Bengals played well, it was that Matt Ryan didn't have a good game. They did it last year when they beat the Patriots and Packers, no credit was given to the Bengals. All anyone could say is that Brady and Rodgers didn't play up to their usual standards. No **** Sherlock. Why do you think that was?

I agree. They also beat Indy (Luck) and Pittsburgh (Ben) last year of the Ravens (Flacco) this year or Eli several other times. It won't change until we win the big one or win games in the playoffs for a long stretch.

And the big name guys will always get more play regardless. Just watch the opening to the Sunday Night Football game and see all of the "name" guys on there. Not a Bengal to be found.

This is all you need to know about how biased the four-letter-network is against all things Bengal.

Andy Dalton, after leading his team to a lopsided victory at home against a contending team without his top two WR targets and his best receiving TE, passing 15 for 23 for 253 yard 1 TD and no INTs taking no sacks, is your 20th ranked QB is ESPNs QBR for the week....Yes sir there were 19 other QBs that had a better day than Dalton. Yep Eli Manning who threw 2 INTs had a better week than Dalton, so did Alex Smith after a 26 for 42 with no TD and No Picks. Derek Carr had a better QBR after throwing for a worse % with 1 TD and 2 Picks. Geno Smith, yep he had a better day too, only threw for a 50% completion % while throwing for 1 TD and 1 pick and only 176 yards in a loss though........

Unfreaking believable.