1st Round: Tyler Eifert

ArmyBengal

File Jay's comments under "lying liars who lie." They're letting Jermaine down easy. Unless Eifert is a bust and Gresham blows up this season, Gresham will be gone next year.

The idea that they drafted Eifert in the first to be a backup is absurd.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gruden may be trying to ease the blow, re Gresham. Kind of blame it on the FO, then in camp just let them compete. Though it is odd to not hear him express any enthusiasm for the pick or any intent to install a new formation that uses both. Other teams use 2 TE sets very successfully. Maybe he's just still in spy vs spy mode.

This strikes me as a purely BPA selection with little-to-no regard for need. I don't really mind that, so long as the scheme is modified adequately to make use of Eifert. I don't see why this must be perceived as a signal that Gresham is gone when his contract expires, because there's no reason the Bengals should have perceived a need to replace him. I don't even think this is necessarily an effort to "give Dalton more weapons". If that were the most significant rationale, they'd have drafted a receiver or Lacy. I assume Gruden either intends or is being asked to use both of them together, with neither as a true long-term backup.

I am skeptical that such a thing will work out to a first round pick's desired production simply because the Patriots' success cannot so easily be replicated. I grant them the opportunity to make the attempt before I bother panning the pick much though.

If Eifert and Gresham both put up numbers (or if Eifert shows the promise they want to see from him and Gresham puts up numbers), they would be rather silly to simply let Gresham walk by default next offseason. Having both ought to create some very interesting matchup problems for opponents as early as week one of 2013, and that can only benefit Green and Sanu.

I can't even grade this pick. The question of motive is unanswerable from our perspective, and without knowing exactly why they made the pick I don't think it makes any sense to celebrate it or hate it.

I think it is an indictment on Gresham. I just went back and read the stuff guys posted in this thread about Eifert's skill package. Keeps jumping out, "catches it in traffic, good in traffic, tough and will snatch it out of the air in traffic, willingly takes hits over the middle and bounces right back up." That's what they want in a tight end. Gresham flinches and gator arms in traffic. An addition true, but also an upgrade.

+1

Strongest evidence that Eifert was a good pick? Pete Prisco hates it.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/22139226/grades-2013-nfl-draft-round-1

When/if they take Cyprien with the 37th pick, he'll go back to liking the 21st pick.

This is all so arbitrary it's not even funny.

After several solid drafts the last few years, and much more success, I'm giving the Bengals the benefit of the doubt.

So first we complain (me included) that the Bengals continually back themselves into a corner, keep forcing drafted "playmakers" to step up when they can't, and basically bury their heads in the sand when their plan doesn't work refusing to fix it....

Now we're complaining that they took the best playmaker on the board, a player that is dynamic and will make Dalton better, and therefore make the entire offense better, including AJ Green????

The Bengals are simply seeing and recognizing that the TE position is LACKING...the same thing we were all saying last season, especially in the playoff loss.

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it.

What is there to complain about, they are doing everything they can to help Dalton succeed! It wasn't my first choice, but everyone I wanted was gone, and this guy can only help Dalton, and really help in the redzone! Efiert, Gresham, AJ, and Sanu yep looks pretty scary to me.

Slept on it and while feeling slightly better, i'm still trying to figure things out with it.

If you believe Gruden and truly think they are going to not only run more 2 TE sets, but actually target them when they do, then I can see this being a good pick. I can also recall not being very happy with one Mr. Gresham, so there is that, but he's under contract through 2014. I was looking at a WR like Hunter due to his size, so maybe Eifert fills that redzone capability.

However, I can't say as I believe that thought, because the same thing was said last year when they got a "steal" with Charles in the 3rd round. Everyone was going on and on about what Charles was going to bring to the passing game as that pass catching TE. We didn't see that. So i'm back to asking if Charles sucks that bad ?? Are they now saying he's the odd man out ??

Charles had 94 receptions for 1370 yards with a 14.6 YPC and 10 TD's

Eifert had 140 receptions for 1840 yards with a 13.1 YPC and 11 TD's

So in their three years in college, Eifert averaged 15 more catches per year, 150 more yards per year and about the same in the other two areas.

That isn't an overwhelming difference in college production when further averaging it out per game.

It's also arguable saying the Bengals simply took the BPA as well.

I'm still left wondering how much of an impact Eifert is going to make.

Who knows, maybe he beats out Gresham as the #1 ?!?!

Maybe it's because Charles is only 6'0.

Take a look at highlights from the national championship game. Eifert was able to make several catches over Dee Milliner who was a top ten pick.

I like the pick. I think it's a two-fold pick. One, he is someone that can come in and contribute right away. Secondly, he should be a great insurance policy in case they decide to let Gresham walk after next year. And as I've read elsewhere, he really doesn't have any baggage or major issues coming in which is good.

BTW his dad played college hoops at Purdue and Tyler was a top hoop player and played some DB (along with TE) in his hometown of Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Lastly, I was certain that the Steelers or the Bears were going to take him just before us.

File Jay's comments under "lying liars who lie." They're letting Jermaine down easy. Unless Eifert is a bust and Gresham blows up this season, Gresham will be gone next year.

Yeah, agreed.

I'd say the same thing if I had an ego-fragile TE like Gresham too, to signal "we still want you, big guy"

If Eifert is as good as advertised, it pushes Gresham to take his game up a notch or three, which is a good thing for this team

However, I can't say as I believe that thought, because the same thing was said last year when they got a "steal" with Charles in the 3rd round. Everyone was going on and on about what Charles was going to bring to the passing game as that pass catching TE. We didn't see that. So i'm back to asking if Charles sucks that bad ?? Are they now saying he's the odd man out ??

Charles had 94 receptions for 1370 yards with a 14.6 YPC and 10 TD's

Eifert had 140 receptions for 1840 yards with a 13.1 YPC and 11 TD's

So in their three years in college, Eifert averaged 15 more catches per year, 150 more yards per year and about the same in the other two areas.

That isn't an overwhelming difference in college production when further averaging it out per game.

I'm also wondering is Charles is a donkey treading water hence Gruden mentioning him as a possible H-Back. Or perhaps Quinn is gonna get cut and they want coverage/depth although I don't think that would warrant your first round pick.

I think it's a two-fold pick. One, he is someone that can come in and contribute right away. Secondly, he should be a great insurance policy in case they decide to let Gresham walk after next year.

Lastly, I was certain that the Steelers or the Bears were going to take him just before us.

According to the Gruden press conference he will be introduced GRADUALLY ......... IF he can get to grips with the playbook I assume

"Gruden said. "But that attack with A.J. and Mohammed Sanu can be very effective. Like I said, it keeps the base personnel on the field and you can create matchups favorably if you use it properly. Hopefully, we’ll get that done offensively and get him out there on the field as soon as possible. But still, you can’t discount the fact we have (wide receivers) Andrew Hawkinsicon-article-link.gif and Sanu. And we’ll bring him along gradually and if he picks it up, we’ll use him as best we can.”

So the coaches aren't looking at him coming in straight away and making (much of) a contribution.

I hate this pick ... that's not saying I hate the player, just I think our first pick could've gone in an area of more need than Tight End and a project Tight End at that.

A wasted first round selection in my book.

so why use the first pick THIS year to replace a guy possibly leaving NEXT year ???? I'd have much preferred an OT and stuck two fingers up to Smith or a position that can contribute this year - LB, CB, Safety, whatever.

I really really really don't get this as our first round selection

This is something I think really works for what the offense is wanting/needing and helps Dalton greatly:

No pass catcher in college football did a better job of winning jump ball opportunities the past two seasons (2011-'12).

Now all they have to do is find a way to get him on the field more often and then target him when they do.

From Marvin:

We feel he's a player who's going to add a lot to our football team in his first year

This kid is not a developmental pick. They plan for him to have an immediate impact. All of the Gruden talk that you guys are taking so literally is just the typical coach speak about a newly drafted person.

The biggest thing I got from the interviews is matchup problems, which will ease the burden on A.J. They talked about how they sometimes split Gresham out wide, and now they can use packages where they do that with Gresham and Eifert. This gives them more flexibility with Green in terms of lining him up in the slot or even putting him in motion. Good luck to opposing defenses trying to double team A.J. when all of the Bengals receivers are moving around to different spots and you never really know what's coming next.

And, all of this is ignoring the hopeful return of Sanu, which adds one more tall, easy to hit target for Dalton to work with. Put those 4 guys on the field in a red zone situation and there's no way the defense can cover all of them.

Now, it's just up to Andy to use the weapons that he's been given. This year is crucial for him. If he can't take that next step, then COB gets to start pimping a QB in round 1 for 2014. I imagine he's already begun work on the campaign buttons.

Kilper with very kind things in print:

Summary: He finished the draft season as the No. 8 player on my Big Board, and the Bengals took advantage of a major value and the fact that they don't have a ton of needs. With Eifert, you now have a situation where him, A.J. Green and Jermaine Gresham are causing major matchup problems. You can throw to these guys even when they're covered. You also help to maximize Andy Dalton, who doesn't have a huge arm, and could use another intermediate target who can work the middle of the field.

I am telling you Jay Gruden is just a guy who likes the way words roll of his tongue. He is like a freaking car salesman. (I know, I`ve been in sales half my working life). Look at his comments in writing, he uses attractive sounding verbage but never really shows his hand.

---GRADUALLY--- is his way of saying, we aren`t going to gameplan Eifert over AJ Green.

---Use the base personnel, keep it on the field continually, and use it properly to create winnable matchups--- Sound like anything different than any other football coach has ever said?

---But that attack with A.J. and Mohammed Sanu can be very effective.---- Ok... um... I can be very effective at shaving my `stache, too... and btw everyone knows A.J. is effective

---But still, you can’t discount the fact we have (wide receivers) Andrew Hawkins and Sanu--- Gruden, what are you saying? Do we have two Sanus? You just said Sanu is very effective, why would we discount him?

---And we’ll bring him along gradually and if he picks it up, we’ll use him as best we can.--- This is a meaningful statement here. It is a shot at Eifert through the media to challenge his committment to premier blocking. They know he is smart and a great receiver so they hope to challenge his pride. May be a way to let Gresham know that Gresham is still Top Dog until further notice, as well.

I won't say it's a wasted pick.

That's right, I said it, but i'm still not convinced it was the best way to go.

I'm getting more comfortable as this goes, but that just tends to happen.

This. I am a big fan of BPA as I have said many times in many other threads and Tyler is going to be a good to very good player but honestly how many TEs can you play? Gresham, Alex Smith, Orson Charles, Richard Quinn and now this guy? Are we going to roll out the 5 TE offense? there simply isn't space to have another TE on this roster, it is one thing to buttress a position of strength it is quite another thing to draft a guy and not have room on the 53 man roster to sign him....now I expect Quinn and Smith to get cut in short order so they will go into the season with Gresham, Charles, and Eifert which is a pretty formidable combination and I expert Eifert to push Gresham which should tell us if Gresham should be in our long term plans, if he wilts then let him walk next year. No doubt Gresham's inconsistency cost us games last year, no doubt Eifert gives Andy options he didn't have last year and I am looking forward to this offense. We got good value on a good player but there were other good players I would like to have more give it a B- selection and lets hope we hit a home run in the second (think it is lining up for us to).

One other thing...the Bengals were renowned for panicing in the draft, reaching for players at positions they felt they had to fill regardless how the draft fell to them. Last night was an opportunity for them to do that, the top Safeties were gone and people were reaching for O-Linemen all over the place they could have reacted to their situation and reached for a Brennan Williams or a Menelik Watson or a Terron Armstead but they didn't they kept calm stayed true to their draft board and picked the player they thought had the best value, kudos to that and I credit Marvin Lewis for bringing that calmness into the front office...now I can only hope that they bring him in as GM full time and let Mike Zimmer be the HC (if we are dreaming impossible dreams).

lets hope we hit a home run in the second (think it is lining up for us to).

to extend the thought of the 2nd lining up for us well, assuming the 4 picks ahead of us dont eliminate more than 1 of the prospects we covet, we can actually trade down a tiny bit - maybe up to 5 or 6 spots - if a willing partner (someone who wants Geno or Nassib, perhaps?) steps up, and thereby pick up an extra r4 pick in the process

I think there will be plenty of value, even potential starters, in r4

Dear wraith:

No

No, they won't need five tight ends. Smith and Quinn prob cut.

I am fine with that. Losing zero sleep over that, in fact.

---membengal

So the scenario of Gresham, Charles and Eifert adds more to the team than Gresham, Charles, Smith/Quinn AND a replacement for Andre Smith (who still hasn't inked his offer) ???? I don't believe it does

Dear wraith:

No

No, they won't need five tight ends. Smith and Quinn prob cut.

I am fine with that. Losing zero sleep over that, in fact.

---membengal

So the scenario of Gresham, Charles and Eifert adds more to the team than Gresham, Charles, Smith/Quinn AND a replacement for Andre Smith (who still hasn't inked his offer) ???? I don't believe it does

#1 - it does if Eifert is a better receiving threat than Charles, etc. which he is.

#2 - I think they go with 4 TE and one of them is exclusively a blocker/HB option that can also break out for short passes. I think they go one less WR to compensate since their TEs should fill that role more than in the past.