1st Round: Tyler Eifert

ArmyBengal

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you promised us destruction of major appliances, Army :-)

I am just confused. TE? Really?

I agree the offense needs bolstering, but I really dont see this guy as doing it

i honestly wasn't even projecting us picking a TE in any round this year

sorry if thats hatin', Baltbengal

now pardon me while I go and read this guy's profile stuff

Guys i would have prefered a trade, but this will work. Now go RB and Safety in the second round and i will like this draft.

Gresham and Eifert will be a scary combo, and another big target for Dalton. We all said Dalton has to get better well here is a huge guy that will catch in traffic for him. Now go get that frachise RB!

nfl.com:

OVERVIEW

Some thought an average tight end class would push the tall, athletic Eifert into the 2012 draft as a redshirt sophomore. After all, it was the decision of Kyle Rudolphs to leave a season early for the 2011 draft (he was picked in the second round by the Vikings) opened the door for Eifert to become a star. And while a freshman at quarterback hurt his production as a junior, he still led the team in receiving in 2012 with a team-best 50 catches for 685 yards and four touchdowns, winning the Mackey Award (Nations top tight end). Eifert decided to skip his final season of eligibility and enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

The son of former Purdue basketball player Greg Eifert led all FBS tight ends with 63 grabs for 803 yards in 2011, and his five touchdowns made him a nice red zone complement to first-round receiver Michael Floyd. Even with Rudolph starting ahead of him in 2010, Eifert made enough of an impact (27 catches, 352 yards, two touchdowns) as a redshirt freshman to earn the teams Offensive Newcomer of the Year award.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Very tough in a crowd, showing strong hands to make contested catches and a physical demeanor to come down with the ball in tight spaces. Tall, lean frame. Lines up with his hand down, in an H-back role, in the slot and outside. Threatens the seam with his long strides off the snap, takes a lot of hits across the middle and bounces up. Nice job gaining position in coverage with very good footwork, taking pride in his routes and showing much improvement in this area. Elevates well to go up and attack the ball, just needs an opportunity and chances are hell come down with it very good at mid-air adjustments, making a lot of catches with his feet off the ground. Uses his height, length and strong hands to snatch passes out of the air. Flashes quick feet on out-cuts to be an effective safety valve. Fights through arm tackles to get extra yardage. Gets off the line effectively from a three-point stance, can shimmy past a defender near the line to get into his route. Gives effort as an in-line blocker, uses his length to hold off defensive ends, uses agility to get angle and create outside running lane. Also works hard to prevent defenders from reaching teammates downfield. Productive in his three seasons, leaving Notre Dame with just about every school receiving record for a TE including catches (140) and receiving yards (1,840).

WEAKNESSES Lean receiver-like build. Does not play with consistent explosiveness and leverage when blocking in-line, will get pulled down by NFL ends and miss reach-blocks against quicker ends. Still growing as a blocker and needs to use better angles. Stronger linebackers will rip off his blocks and ride him off his route when he does not use his hands effectively. Allows throws into his body on occasion, will drop the ball when trying to run before securing.

NFL COMPARISON Greg Olsen

BOTTOM LINE Eifert was a 215-pound TE out of high school who didnt receive too many scholarship offers, but has developed into one of the top all-around tight ends to enter the NFL draft in recent memory. He was Notre Dames No. 1 offensive weapon in 2012, lining up out wide as a WR or in-line as a traditional TE, and was the type of target defensive coordinators had to game plan against. Eifert is a fluid pass-catcher with vacuum hands and the hand/eye coordination to make tough catches and although he doesnt create a lot of space, he secures grabs in traffic, showing outstanding tracking and high-pointing ability. He is a soft spoken guy, but an animal on the field and a much better blocker than given credit, improving in leaps and bounds the past three years with excellent effort projects as a starting NFL TE with excellent potential as both a receiver and blocker.

Sorry Mem, but I don't like this pick.

Mind you it has nothing to do with Eifert. I think he's a hell of a talent.

It's how the Bengals use (or don't use) the position that concerns me.

We drafted Orson Charles last year for this reason. Did he suck that bad ??

What about the guy we just signed from Cleveland ?? I didn't think much of him, but still.

The other thing that jumps in my mind that I suppose I can take ease in, is that maybe they are planning to let Gresham walk.

walter:

Strengths:

Excellent receiver in the middle of the field

Athletic

Good blocking technique

Smart

Quick release off the line

Superb body control

Good route-running

Excellent hands

Quickness

Red zone weapon

Three-down tight end

Dangerous seam tight end

Durable

Experienced

Improved blocker

Weaknesses:

Questions regarding his commitment

Needs to continue blocking improvement

More quick than fast

Lacks elite speed

Lacks elite strength

Summary: Eifert spent the past few seasons becoming one of the best tight ends in college football. He was a reliable and consistent producer in the Notre Dame passing game.

Eifert debuted as a sophomore in 2012 with a solid 27 receptions for 352 yards and two touchdowns. He made big improvements as a junior and was a perfect complement to Michael Floyd. Eifert was lethal in the middle of the field. He racked up a lot of yards and receptions while Floyd was commanding double coverage. Despite less than stellar quarterback play, Eifert caught 63 passes for 803 yards and five touchdowns.

Eifert could've been in the running to be the top tight end in the 2012 NFL Draft, but decided to return to South Bend. The senior saw constant double teams this season since Floyd was gone and playing for the Arizona Cardinals. Eifert hauled in 50 passes this year for 685 yards and four touchdowns. He was one of the few Notre Dame players who held their own against Alabama with six receptions for 61 yards. While Eifert saw bracket coverage, the Fighting Irish were terrible at getting the most out of him. The team's quarterback play was extremely inconsistent.

Eifert is an NFL-ready pass catcher. He has good speed running down the middle seam with excellent hands. Eifert is fearless leaping in the middle of the field to make tough catches despite knowing that massive hits are coming his direction. He showed real toughness for the Fighting Irish. Eifert is very good on third down to help move the chains. He gains separation on linebackers and is too big for defensive backs. Eifert should be a real contributor in the passing game early in his NFL career.

Eifert made a lot of improvements in his run blocking for 2012, including added strength and improved technique. He made real strides in his final season. Eifert needs to continue that in the NFL, especially if he's drafted into a power-man scheme.

Eifert was the most impressive tight end at the Combine. He showed off better athletic ability than expected. Eifert blazed a 40-yard dash time of 4.68; one of the fastest times for any tight end. He helped establish himself as the top tight end for the 2013 NFL Draft with his Combine performance.

There is a possibility that Eifert could be a first-round pick. If he slides out of the first round, he won't last long in Round 2.

3 TE sets guys, get ready! There is no reason now for Dalton not to exceed! I wasnt sure about this pick either Army, but the more i think about it, they are giving Dalton every chance now. They will have to use the TE more thats for sure. Oh and Charles will now be the HB.

ourlads (had him going 27 to Houston:

Nothing like a big fast tight end that can align anywhere on the field to keep the pressure off of Andre Johnson. James Casey is in Philly. Owen Daniels is injury prone. Keenan Allen is still on the board. Rick Smith thinks they may add a speed receiver later after the right side of the offensive line is addressed. Eifert led Notre Dame in receptions with 44. Finds the soft spots in zone coverage. Beats linebackers in man-to-man coverage. Has the speed to run deep. Possesses good leaping ability, concentration, and timing. Plucks the ball with his hands. Catches the ball in traffic over the middle. If he's not there at 27 Allen is the pick.

This was all BPA, and for that, I can't blame them, he was projected as a top 10-13 pick, and it basically gives them a New England style (Gronk/Hernandez) option to compliment Gresham. Eifert is a safe, solid pick despite the lack of need.

If they didn't have the luxury of two 2nd rounders, this would be highly questionable, but, it is what it is. You get the most impact you can with the 1st rounder.

This was all BPA, and for that, I can't blame them, he was projected as a top 10-13 pick, and it basically gives them a New England style (Gronk/Hernandez) option to compliment Gresham. Eifert is a safe, solid pick despite the lack of need.

If they didn't have the luxury of two 2nd rounders, this would be highly questionable, but, it is what it is. You get the most impact you can with the 1st rounder.

For once, I am the same page with Shula. Old bengals reach at need. New bengals take talent. I am very cool with that approach.

Again, I don't hate the kid in the least.

I'm trying to understand the reason.

These are my questions and I ask in hopes of liking the pick more.

Didn't we hear about Charles allowing us to have an unstoppable two TE set last year ??

Does Charles suck that bad ??

Is Gresham going to allowed to walk come free agency ??

Are we actually going to use the TE's more to warrant having 2 first round and 1 third round selections at that position on the roster ??

I really like Eifert actually and want to love LOVE this pick.

No hate, just confused.

Charles is nice and all, but he doesn't have the skill set of eifert. I have no issues with them having three highly skilled players at tight end. The Alex smith guy can be camp fodder now, as god intended.

I can see why people don't like this pick, given our need at SS and LB but something I think worth nothing is how well our D played last year in comparison to our O. With Sanu hopefully coming back strong and becoming the guy we hope he can be, I can see why the TE spot was considered a weak link on O with Gresham dropping balls like he does.

walter's insta-grade agrees with shula:

21. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: B+ Grade

This is the ultimate "BPA vs. need" argument. The Bengals didn't have a hole at tight end with Jermaine Gresham there, but Tyler Eifert was definitely the top prospect available. Besides, teams like to use two-tight end sets, and it's not like Gresham is setting the world on fire with his receiving ability. Andy Dalton has limited arm strength, so he'll lean on Eifert quite frequently.