Cowboys @ Bengals Pre-Rodeo/Game Thread

HoosierCat

...not an optimistic bunch, eh?

I think this game will be similar to the Redskins game. Cowboys can score in bunches, have a depleted D, and are prone to sacks/mistake. Typcial NFC East ball.

Bengals jump ou fast, harrass Romo all day and win 27-17.

Playing at home to a sell out crowd with the season on the line.

If they don't come to play, there's no one to blame.

I think they continue the streak however.

The stadium needs to come alive and make it loud for Romo. I want to see them continue running the ball and getting Jones and Hawkins involved in the passing game. I want to make sure Dez Bryant doesn't get a chance to do anything. Best way to do that ?? Pressure Romo. Everyone knows he sucks when there is pressure in his face.

Playing at home to a sell out crowd with the season on the line.

If they don't come to play, there's no one to blame.

I think they continue the streak however.

The stadium needs to come alive and make it loud for Romo. I want to see them continue running the ball and getting Jones and Hawkins involved in the passing game. I want to make sure Dez Bryant doesn't get a chance to do anything. Best way to do that ?? Pressure Romo. Everyone knows he sucks when there is pressure in his face.

Have they announced it a sellout yet?

Whitten gets 75+ yards and a TD, Murray runs wild, and Romo turns the ball over just enough times to allow the Bengals to win 27-24 Bengals.

I still get pissed because the Bengals can not cover a TE, or cover a good RB our of the backfield. I say I break at least one remote because Zimmer can't f**king figure out a scheme to cover TE's and RBs.

Anybody ever think they should have signed a guy like Deion Branch to help out at WR? Seems like many don't have faith since Sanu went down? Just a thought on a vet guy who could help out these young guys on a playoff stretch. I guess the coches have faith in the guys that are here. More Binns less Tate please!

Still think they should spread Charles or Gresham wide on some plays, especially in the red zone.

Anybody ever think they should have signed a guy like Deion Branch to help out at WR? Seems like many don't have faith since Sanu went down? Just a thought on a vet guy who could help out these young guys on a playoff stretch. I guess the coches have faith in the guys that are here. More Binns less Tate please!

Still think they should spread Charles or Gresham wide on some plays, especially in the red zone.

They've had Charles lined up in the slot a few times. I'd like to see more of that please.

They've had Charles lined up in the slot a few times. I'd like to see more of that please.

Find a way to get him the ball! He can be huge in the Red Zone, they have two big TEs find a way to get them open down there. I understand Sanu is gone, but Andy was missing guys wide open yesterday in the endzone, because it seems like all they want is AJ catching TDs. Find a way to get the bodies open down there.

How about more screen passes to Leonard? Yesterday agaisnt the blitz, which the Chargers were blitzing alot use the screen. This week agaisnt a pretty good Cowboys rush, use the screen more.

For what it's worth, I lobbied for James Jones of the Packers when there was thought of him leaving and mentioned playing here.

Gresham has lined up in the slot many times this season. Charles may see more of it as well.

This still isn't a team that consistently utilizes the TE. They are getting better though.

Hobs on potential roster moves this week:

This figures to be a week of moves for the 7-5 Bengals as they ready for another must afternoon Sunday against the 6-6 Cowboys (1 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 19) at Paul Brown Stadium.

Backup running back Cedric Peerman injured his ankle during Sunday's win in San Diego and head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday his status is unclear. But with the club down to two healthy backs in BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Brian Leonard, look for the Bengals to hold some tryouts on Tuesday for veterans on the street. Another option is signing rookie Daniel Herron from the practice squad.

The Bengals will have an open roster spot when they put rookie wide receiver Mohamed Sanu on injured reserve following Monday's surgery to repair his broken fifth metatarsal in his foot.

They could also activate center Kyle Cook from the injured reserve-recall list this week, but they would also have to make room for him. The Bengals won't keep three centers and since rookie Trevor Robinson has started the last five games, they have to figure out what to do with veteran Jeff Faine.

PFF grades for the Chargers game, per one of the commenters at CJ.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/12/3/3724972/profootballfocus-com-grades-for-week-13-bengals-vs-chargers

Offense

Best: Andre Smith (+7.0; +4.1 run block)

Other good grades: Clint Boling (+2.7), A.J. Green (+1.7), Dennis Roland (+1.7), Andrew Whitworth (+1.0), Trevor Robinson (+0.9)

Worst: Marvin Jones (-1.8)

Other bad grades: Andrew Hawkins (-1.1), Brian Leonard (-0.9), Andy Dalton (-0.9)

Defense

Best: Carlos Dunlap (+5.1; +4.3 pass rush)

Other good grades: Geno Atkins (+4.4), Reggie Nelson (+1.4), Domata Peko (+1.4), Wallace Gilberry (+1.1), Rey Maualuga (+0.8; +1.2 run defense)

Worst: Vontaze Burfict (-2.3; -1.4 pass coverage)

Other bad grades: Manny Lawson (-0.9)

Other performances of note:

-Make no mistake, Carlos Dunlap has had a very good year (+13.2 overall, 2nd highest on the defense), but his pass rush grades - aside from this game (+4.3) and his season debut in week 3 (+4.8) - have mostly disappointed (-5.3 otherwise). Last year, his pass rushing ability had the PFF folks slobbering: he finished 5th among 4-3 DE's in their Pass Rushing Productivity stat and had an overall pass rush grade of +19.2. Has the beast been reawakened?

-Same old, same old: Again, the linebackers struggle in pass coverage (Maualuga: -1.2, Burfict: -1.4, Lawson: -0.9).

-Is Zeitler tiring? He still hasn't graded less than 0.0 since the first week of the season, but his last 3 games (+0.4, +0.3, +0.2) have not met the standard he set earlier in the year (>1.0 in weeks 3-10).

-Burfict hasn't grade positively overall in any of the last 6 games for a cumulative grade of -8.4.

~Okay, that's enough 'negatives'~

-Since week 5, Andre Smith hasn't had a run block grade less than +0.6. His cumulative run block grade in that span is +9.6.

-Before last week's game, the Bengals' highest team run block grade for a game was +2.8. The last two games: +6.0, +7.0.

-I'm not entirely sure how meaningful it is to look at cumulative team grades, but I like what they have to say at the moment, so, FWIW:

* Bengals: +137.6 overall (+55.9 offense, +45.8 defense, +39.2 special teams)

* Ravens: +100.3 overall (+53.1 offense, -8.7 defense, +55.9 special teams)

* Steelers: +39.1 overall (+25.6 offense, -2.7 defense, +16.2 special teams)

* Browns: +26.0 overall (+0.2 offense, +22.1 defense, +3.7 special teams)

Hobs on potential roster moves this week:

This figures to be a week of moves for the 7-5 Bengals as they ready for another must afternoon Sunday against the 6-6 Cowboys (1 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 19) at Paul Brown Stadium.

Backup running back Cedric Peerman injured his ankle during Sunday's win in San Diego and head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday his status is unclear. But with the club down to two healthy backs in BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Brian Leonard, look for the Bengals to hold some tryouts on Tuesday for veterans on the street. Another option is signing rookie Daniel Herron from the practice squad.

The Bengals will have an open roster spot when they put rookie wide receiver Mohamed Sanu on injured reserve following Monday's surgery to repair his broken fifth metatarsal in his foot.

They could also activate center Kyle Cook from the injured reserve-recall list this week, but they would also have to make room for him. The Bengals won't keep three centers and since rookie Trevor Robinson has started the last five games, they have to figure out what to do with veteran Jeff Faine.

Are there any RBs out there who could help at this point? Any PS guys on other teams?

Josh Vaughn on the ATL PS.

Lennon Creer on the TEN PS.

SD just waived Curtis Brinkley - he seems like a "Peerman" type guy, who can play teams and pick up carries and return kicks. http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/curtis-brinkley/aae67d71-a062-4fec-bddd-8bf5c316177f/

ugh.

Bengals put Sanu on IR, and bring Boom Herron from the practice squad. I hate the move, didnt like Herron in the preseason. On a team that trying for the playoffs why not sign a vet. They had a couple guys in today, who I thought would be better options.

Yep, I think there are veterans out there that would have brought more to the table for a playoff run. I never trust rookie RB's picking up blitzes.

Dunlap wins Defensive Player of the Week for his work against SD, Whit appealing fine.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Dunlap-named-AFC-Player-of-Week-Whit-waits-on-appeal-but-wants-no-financial-aid/067b88b8-ca32-4641-9b2b-3f92127c8476

Story updated to add a bit about Pacman having a chip on his shoulder playing Dallas and some injury/practice news:

Lewis said rookie cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, who suffered a concussion, wouldn't practice Wednesday. Backup running back Cedric Peerman (ankle) was still in his boot for a sprained ankle and he looks like he won't practice...

Rookie running back Boom Herron practiced for the first time Wednesday on the roster after being signed following all season on the practice squad. He says he's more comfortable in the offense and feels liker can it go more wide open and relaxed.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Dunlap-named-AFC-Player-of-Week-Whit-wants-no-aid-Adam-Jones-has-double-chip/067b88b8-ca32-4641-9b2b-3f92127c8476