Official Lockout Thread

Kazkal

From Liz Mullen's twitter:

SBJLizMullen Liz Mullen

Players side source: The NFL owners voted their own proposal to put pressure on the players to accept these terms now. #NFL Lockout

1 hour ago

SBJLizMullen Liz Mullen

Source: The owners' negotiating team took to their constituents terms the players' negotiating team told them they would not agree to. #NFL

1 hour ago

SBJLizMullen Liz Mullen

Players side source: "The NFL passed their own proposal. There are numerous items in the proposal that players never agreed to."

/>http://twitter.com/#!/SBJLizMullen

Doesn't sound promising.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yawn.

What's the deadline to get the first preseason game in? The 24th? It'll be done by then. Money will talk as it always does.

Posturing down to the last minute.

They already canceled the HoF game which is gonna cost Canton a lot of money.

If the owners did do this, its a very risky thing to do. This could cause the (we're not a) union to dig in deeper and prolong things. But I would have to think the owners are smarter than that. Something had to give them the idea that the players would go for this. I'm so confused. :blink:

It appears to me the owners tried to play a little bait and switch on the players. They're claiming what they read today isn't what they read yesterday. Mike Brown signed on with this with no problem which immediately makes me suspicious.

I believe the owners are trying to deal from the bottom of the deck.

It appears to me the owners tried to play a little bait and switch on the players. They're claiming what they read today isn't what they read yesterday. Mike Brown signed on with this with no problem which immediately makes me suspicious.

I believe the owners are trying to deal from the bottom of the deck.

That's what Freeman at cbs thinks, too.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15341317/players-dont-vote-on-cba-rip-gamesmanship-of-owners

July 24th. Nobody hold their breath until then. Like the players are saying. The owners just made a "power play" and are posturing.

The end result will be a delay and further piss fans off. Then once it passes all will be "normal" again.

Well you can't blame the players on this delay. The owners resorted to playing a game of dirty pool, and got caught.

I don't believe the owners did any such thing. Kessler, the player's lawyer, has been fighting like hell against a deal for weeks. This is his latest attempt to stop a deal. Kessler wants this thing to go nuclear and end in court with the owners broken.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110721/SPT02/307200084/Mike-Brown-gives-thumbs-up-deal

Said Bengals owner Mike Brown of the agreement the owners approved: “It has been a long and difficult process but I think it is a good agreement that satisfies everyone. I think this is a deal that understands what is needed from both sides. There were compromises made on both sides.”

Five years ago, Brown was one of two owners to vote against the CBA. Two years later, owners opted out of that agreement, which set in motion a long road that has included a lockout that has lasted more than four months. Thursday’s vote was 31-0 with Oakland abstaining.

One reason why Brown voted against the CBA five years ago was because he felt it did not address the needs of small-market teams like the Bengals. When asked if this proposal did, Brown said: “It’s an agreement where all sides are satisfied.”

Someone explain to me why it's different for the owners to agree to a proposal and then present it to the players for their consideration versus the players to agree to their proposal and then present it to the owners ?? Wasn't this whole, "there are things in this we don't like" thing inevitable ?? One of the two sides had to agree to something first and as much as I think the players are in the right through all of this, what the hell have they been waiting for ??

And another thing, what the hell is with all the "We as men" bullsh*t I keep hearing from all the player reps when interviewed ??

Is that their motto through the whole lockout ??

Look, I don't care if the owners tried to jack them. I don't care if the players are pissed off.

Just get it done for God's sake and stop b*tching.

Both sides are using the fans in their arguments and quite frankly, i'm f*cking sick of hearing it.

Someone explain to me why it's different for the owners to agree to a proposal and then present it to the players for their consideration versus the players to agree to their proposal and then present it to the owners ?? Wasn't this whole, "there are things in this we don't like" thing inevitable ?? One of the two sides had to agree to something first and as much as I think the players are in the right through all of this, what the hell have they been waiting for ??

And another thing, what the hell is with all the "We as men" bullsh*t I keep hearing from all the player reps when interviewed ??

Is that their motto through the whole lockout ??

Look, I don't care if the owners tried to jack them. I don't care if the players are pissed off.

Just get it done for God's sake and stop b*tching.

Both sides are using the fans in their arguments and quite frankly, i'm f*cking sick of hearing it.

:sure:

DeMo is trying inject his man card into it. I think they took some heat and raised a lot of questions when they decertified. Basically, what's the point of doing that if you are still representing the players in negotiations? So now he's trying to make it sound like it's some kinda soul searching thing and is justifying his existence.

About 10 years ago the union at my company de-certified. A year or so later the company improved benefits by giving them several sick days, a personal day and added them to the profit sharing plan. This all took place without the collective bargaining process. While many were fearful of the company without representation, most would say it was a good move. They have a job with the following rules if they so choose. If you are OK with all that then you know there's a job there for you every day. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

So all of this posturing and trying to save face since the owners beat them to the punch is complete crap. Sign the damn thing and get back to work. If not, then head to Canada.

Seriously, when they interview the owners, they say some crap like, we are doing this for the fans who want to see football on Sundays.

Then they interview the players and they something along the same lines, but with thier own spin on it.

While I think they understand they don't have football without the fan support, I don't think for one millisecond that they are concerned about the fans through this process. What they are concerned about is the bottom dollar and how many of them will end up in their bank account. In the business line of thought, I have no issue with anyone trying to improve their situation. What I do take issue with is when they want to babble on about the fans when in fact I think we are an afterthought.

F*CK YOU OWNERS AND F*CK YOU PLAYERS !!!

Oh yeah, how the hell do some of these players go about spouting off in regards to the things that have been added to the proposal when the player reps haven't even seen it yet ?? They want to fight and Heath Evans or whatever his stupid f*cking name is, proved that point yesterday. What a douchebag.

We'll see how it goes. Reports today suggest that player objections aren't as serious as it originally appeared. So hopefully things get settled here in the near future.

All I know is if I were about to sign a 10-year contract I'd want to vet all the fine print, too.

So now you have more players saying things like, "There will be a deal when we agree to a fair deal" and "The owners have agreed to a deal we haven't seen yet".

Riddle me this...

Isn't that exactly what would have happened with the owners if the players has made good use of their time and voted on and agreed to a proposal of their own and then forward that to the owners to vote on ?? I mean, maybe there would have been things in the players proposal that the owners didn't think were quite fair. Not only that, but the players most certainly would have agreed to a deal the owners hadn't yet seen.

It's like, no sh*t, really ??

I'm beginning to think these players are just to d*mn dumb for their own good.

They would have you believe that's what the owners want the fans to think.

I think they are making it to easy for the owners to pitch that idea.

This crap is so confusing. Sounds to me like there is little to no talking going on here, what a waste of time! All i ever hear is how close they are to signing, but yet the player reps keep saying they will not sign this until they are ready, which hell who knows when that is.

I love how the players say they will get a deal done, that they wont miss any preseason or regular season games. However we could see some very very sloppy football this year, alot of out of shape guys, alot of injuries, alot of players not on the same page. Really not sure im looking forward to watching pro football if they dont get a deal done very soon. This could be the worst year of football. So if they only have a couple weeks to get ready for regular season games, how do they expect to put on a good show for the fans, this could be embarresing!

Like with any addiction, the impatient, impulsive, got to have it now mentality takes over. Then you have to stop and ask yourself "If I had what I wanted right now, would it make a difference?"

The owners and players have until Sunday to save the first preseason game. They'll use all of that time to jockey this thing. If it's signed tomorrow, today, or Sunday nothing can happen anyway until next week.

Everybody just needs to go out and drink a beer or get some crack and relax. I'm going to head to my FA meeting.

This crap is so confusing. Sounds to me like there is little to no talking going on here, what a waste of time! All i ever hear is how close they are to signing, but yet the player reps keep saying they will not sign this until they are ready, which hell who knows when that is.

I love how the players say they will get a deal done, that they wont miss any preseason or regular season games. However we could see some very very sloppy football this year, alot of out of shape guys, alot of injuries, alot of players not on the same page. Really not sure im looking forward to watching pro football if they dont get a deal done very soon. This could be the worst year of football. So if they only have a couple weeks to get ready for regular season games, how do they expect to put on a good show for the fans, this could be embarresing!

This could play into the Bengals hands! They notorious for their slow starts. They should be in shape by mid-season just like everybody else.

The players should quit crying and review the thing, change it, sign it, and send it back.

These owners didn't get mega rich by being the nicest guys on the block. They just tried a little business hardball, typical in their world. The players don't cry and quit when someone throws a head fake off the line of scrimmage to try to get open. This is the same thing.

Get in their world, players. Throw some crap in there the owners will never accept, then send it back.