Official Lockout Thread

Kazkal

Is anyone else disappointed that there will be a season? I was completely ok with the Bengals not playing this year and seeing how much better I could get my house and yard to look.

Seriously, this season is going to be PAINFUL. This team, and city, could've used a break.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Rookie Wage Scale we all knew it needed to be done with the amount of bust teams gets every draft and the astronomical amount of money they were making without even playing one snap was a necessity for the future of all franchises you can't expect a team to advance when one bad pick in the top 5 can set your team back financially and competitively 5 years. It just became ridiculous when nobody wanted to have anything to do with the number 1 pick it became a burden not a reward.
    What nobody has asked themselves is could this become a problem with the 2011 draft class? Can we not expect a few draft brats suing the NFL induced by their agents saying that the new CBA is taking away the earnings they should be entitled for based on what previous players got in the past by being selected in the same spot or same position? Can we actually assume agents who live and breathe for getting these young talents and getting that huge rookie contract without having to maintain a good business relationship for years? Are we supposed to believe they won't jump when the NFL cuts their commission by half? Think about it for a second can this actually be over or are we just in the tip of the iceberg.

I would hope that they worked through that during the discussions. Since the current CBA expired prior to the draft I don't see how they can claim any grievances with the new system. Changes, good and bad, are part of the collective bargaining process. These same agents are representing established players as well. I hope the federal mediator/judge that is presiding over the negotiations will throw out any of these suits before they happen. They serve no purpose other than to delay the process and feed their own greed.

Greed is the root of all evil and it's simple "presedent" it only takes 1 player or more that feel cheated or want the HUGE payday to file another grevence saying there's presedent of players getting drafted before getting more money that they do now. Yo usay it can happen but right now when all things seem to be getting fix you see players that really don't need the money and the only reason they were named as part of the lawsuit was because of their name recognition asking for something extra for them to sign. Brees and Manning asking for them to get the Franchise excemption and Jackson and another asking for the same or 10 million bucks. So instead of thinking about the other 1890 players the want something extra for them special threatment.

So what makes you think we wont have the same thing with the rookies heck every year we have rookies holding on to get that extra millions in his contract Remember Andre Smith Holding out ot get that extra money? and how we all saw on hardnocks when he signed his contract his agent said congratulation you're a multimillionare. Instead of Congratualtions you're a Bengal or You're an NFL player. Some players are jsut looking to cash in and never have to work again so why would they take a 50% paycut?

We'll have to see how it shakes out I guess. My belief is that this process was supposed to fix the issues with signing rookies and create some security for the owners. Being able to quickly sign drafted players and immediately get something for their investment is in the best interest of all parties. Hopefully they won't take it to court. But again, once the players vote to ratify, they are bound by that agreement whether everyone likes it or not.

Is anyone else disappointed that there will be a season? I was completely ok with the Bengals not playing this year and seeing how much better I could get my house and yard to look.

Seriously, this season is going to be PAINFUL. This team, and city, could've used a break.

Your comment kind of reminds me of when somebody brings in donuts or a cake or something and puts it in the lunch room at my office. Immediately, all the secretaries say "I hate ____ for bringing that in" because now they're tempted to eat it. My response is always the same ... just don't eat it.

[*]The Rookie Wage Scale

The thing is, as far as I can tell, it's not really a rookie wage scale in the sense that there will be set amounts for each pick or anything like that. Instead it's all about contract lengths and option years. Conventional wisdom is that it will cut at least the top-tier deals about in half. Last year's No. 4 got $10 million/year, so Green should get roughly $5 million a year.

But the point is, there will still be negotiations between the two sides and no doubt teams and agents will soon come up with plenty of nifty new financial gimmicks to circumvent the system as much as possible. So if anyone was hoping that this "wage scale" would eliminate the Bengals' perennial top pick holdout issues, well, I don't think it will.

Your comment kind of reminds me of when somebody brings in donuts or a cake or something and puts it in the lunch room at my office. Immediately, all the secretaries say "I hate ____ for bringing that in" because now they're tempted to eat it. My response is always the same ... just don't eat it.

True. If being a football fan were a logical process I would've stopped being a fan 20 years ago. This is an emotional investment to which there is a greater degree to attain that control or "logical mindset". I'm not going to say I don't have a problem, because I do.

Those secretaries that complain are the one's that devour the coffee cake when nobody's looking.

True. If being a football fan were a logical process I would've stopped being a fan 20 years ago. This is an emotional investment to which there is a greater degree to attain that control or "logical mindset". I'm not going to say I don't have a problem, because I do.

Those secretaries that complain are the one's that devour the coffee cake when nobody's looking.

Guilty pleasures KICK A$$!

I'm not sure I fully agree with the above, but yeah....part of me was looking forward to much smaller monthly bills from DirecTV while enjoying newly free Sunday mornings walking on the beach with the WifeOnFire.

Truth be told I'm not sure if I'm in a hurry or even ready to embrace Bengals Neuevo.

Can't buy into that one. I look forward to the football season like crazy.

Bonus is, being back in Cincinnati, there's no reason for Directv's Sunday Ticket for the sole purpose of watching Bengals games.

They are either sold out and on or not and the Ticket wouldn't have helped anyway.

That being the case, if they aren't sold out, I will still get some yard work done this fall !!!

Bring on the season !!!

part of me was looking forward to much smaller monthly bills from DirecTV while enjoying newly free Sunday mornings walking on the beach with the WifeOnFire.

Sounds like a Simpsons from the first or second season when Homer quits drinking beer. Good for you! Personally, I'm looking forward to getting drunk and watching Bengals games, but that's just me.

Tentative NFL Schedule for 2011

Projected schedule from NFL

Following are key dates on the revised 2011 League Calendar, contingent upon ratification of the agreement by the players prior to these dates:

JULY

July 23

Voluntary training, conditioning and classroom instruction permitted until first day of clubs’ preseason training camps.

July 23

Pre-2011 League Year Period commences. 2011 Free Agency List to be issued and will become effective on the first day of the 2011 League Year (July 27). Clubs/players may begin to renegotiate contracts. Clubs may begin to sign Drafted Rookies and their own UFAs, RFAs, Exclusive Rights Players and Franchise Players.

July 23

Waivers begin for the 2011 League Year.

July 23

Starting at 2:00 PM ET, clubs may negotiate with, but not sign, Undrafted Rookie Free Agents, free agents, and other clubs’ UFAs, RFAs, and Franchise Players.

July 24

Starting at 2:00 PM ET, clubs may begin to sign undrafted rookie free agents.

July 27

2011 League Year commences at 2:00 PM ET, provided NFLPA has ratified CBA. Free Agency Signing Period begins. Clubs may sign free agents and other clubs’ Unrestricted Free Agents. Clubs may sign Offer Sheets. Trading period begins. All Clubs must be under the Salary Cap. Top 51 rule applies.

July 27

Expand rosters to 90-man limit.

July 27

Training Camps open for all clubs, provided NFLPA has ratified CBA. Day One activities limited to physicals, meetings, and conditioning. No pads permitted on Day Two or Day Three.

AUGUST

August 9

Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an Accrued Season for free agency.

August 11-15

First Preseason Weekend

August 12

Deadline for signing of Offer Sheets by Restricted Free Agents. (17-day period concludes)

August 12

Deadline for June 1 Tender to Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by August 26, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from August 26 until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00 PM ET, only with his Prior Club.

August 12

Deadline: if a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract by this date, he cannot be traded during his initial League Year and may sign a Player Contract only with the drafting Club until the day of the Draft in the next League Year.

August 13-17

Each Club has until five days prior to its second preseason game to provide any tendered but unsigned Exclusive Rights Player or Restricted Free Agent with written notice of the Club’s intent to place the player on the Exempt List if the player fails to report at least the day before the Club’s second preseason game.

August 16

Deadline for Prior Club to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents. (Four-day matching period conlcudes)

August 17

Deadline for June 1 Tender to Restricted Free Agents who have received a Qualifying Offer for a Right of First Refusal Only.

August 18-22

Second Preseason Weekend.

August 25-28

Third Preseason Weekend.

August 26

Signing Period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents who received the June 1 Tender.

August 29

Deadline for June 15 Tender to Restricted Free Agents. If player’s Qualifying Offer is greater than 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior year contract carried forward unchanged), the Club may withdraw the Qualifying Offer on August 29 and retain its exclusive negotiating rights to the player, so long as the Club immediately tenders the player a one-year Player Contract of at least 110% of his prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, with all the terms of his prior year’s contract carried forward unchanged.

August 30

Clubs reduce rosters from 90 players to 75 players.

SEPTEMBER

September 1-2

Fourth Preseason Weekend.

September 3

Clubs reduce rosters to 53 players.

September 8-12

First Regular-Season Weekend.

September 18-19

Second Regular-Season Weekend

September 20

Deadline at 4:00 PM ET for any Club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multi-year contract or extension.

If approved by the players, the new collective bargaining agreement will include the following key terms:

TERM:

* The fixed term of the agreement covers the 2011 through 2020 seasons and includes the 2021 draft.

PLAYER HEALTH AND SAFETY:

* Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by:

1. Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10;

2. Limiting on-field practice time and contact;

3. Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season;

4. Increasing number of days off for players.

* Opportunity for current players to remain in the player medical plan for life.

* An enhanced injury protection benefit of up to $1 million of a player's salary for the contract year after his injury and up to $500,000 in the second year after his injury.

* No change to the 16-4 season format until at least 2013; any subsequent increase in the number of regular-season games must be made by agreement with the NFL Players Association.

* $50 million per year joint fund for medical research, healthcare programs, and NFL Charities, including NFLPA-related charities.

RETIRED PLAYER BENEFITS:

* Over the next 10 years, additional funding for retiree benefits of between $900 million and $1 billion. The largest single amount, $620 million, will be used for a new "Legacy Fund," which will be devoted to increasing pensions for pre-1993 retirees.

* Other improvements will be made to post-career medical options, the disability plan, the 88 Plan, career transition and degree completion programs, and the Player Care Plan.

DRAFT/FREE AGENCY SYSTEM:

* An annual Draft of seven rounds plus compensatory picks for teams which lose free agents.

* Unrestricted free agency for players after four accrued seasons; restricted free agency for players with three accrued seasons.

* Free agency exceptions (franchise and transition players).

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION SYSTEM:

* New entry-level compensation system including the following elements:

1. All drafted players sign four-year contracts.

2. Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts.

3. Maximum total compensation per draft class.

4. Limited contract terms.

5. Strong anti-holdout rules.

6. Clubs have option to extend the contract of a first-round draftee for a fifth year, based on agreed-upon tender amounts.

* Creation of new fund to redistribute, beginning in 2012, savings from new rookie pay system to current and retired player benefits and a veteran player performance pool.

ECONOMICS:

* Salary cap plus benefits of $142.4 million per club in 2011 ($120.375 million for salary and bonus) and at least that amount in 2012 and 2013.

* Beginning in 2012, salary cap to be set based on a combined share of "all revenue," a new model differentiated by revenue source with no expense reductions. Players will receive 55 percent of national media revenue, 45 percent of NFL Ventures revenue, and 40 percent of local club revenue.

* Beginning in 2012, annual "true up" to reflect revenue increases or decreases versus projections.

* Clubs receive credit for actual stadium investment and up to 1.5 percent of revenue each year.

* Player share must average at least 47 percent for the 10-year term of the agreement.

* League-wide commitment to cash spending of 99 percent of the cap in 2011 and 2012.

* For the 2013-2016 seasons, and again for the 2017-2020 seasons, the clubs collectively will commit to cash spending of at least 95 percent of the cap.

* Each club committed to cash spending of 89 percent of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.

* Increases to minimum salaries of 10 percent in Year 1 with continuing increases each year of the agreement.

2011-2012 TRANSITION RULES:

* Special transition rules to protect veteran players in 2011. All teams will have approximately $3.5 million in what would otherwise be performance-based pay available to fund veteran player salaries.

* Each club may "borrow" up to $3 million in cap room from a future year, which may be used to support veteran player costs.

* In 2012, each club may "borrow" up to $1.5 million in cap room from a future year. Both these amounts would be repaid in future years.

OTHER:

* No judicial oversight of the agreement. Neutral arbitrators jointly appointed by the NFL and NFLPA will resolve disputes as appropriate.

* Settlement of all pending litigation.

With all the new thoughts of how rookie contracts are to be handled i'm left to wonder if Katie will still be able to use the old:

"You don't know how hard it is to run an NFL team"

I mean, close to set amounts, set years on contracts with an extra year possible for first rounders.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure there will be something new to cause a Bengal rookie holdout, but boy they appear to be making things easier.

Well im not sure the players are even going to vote yes to this, this could be an ongoing process.

Brown actully liked the deal im kind of suprised, but im just ready for football now.....get this crap done!!!

The Raiders abstained. Did anybody tell Al about the vote?

This is good for us. Mike is forced to spend more, and there will be fewer holdouts.

I can picture it now. Andy Dalton is sitting in a church, and Jay Gruden walks in and says "What are we waiting for!!!!!!!!!" Start the Rocky theme music! Super Bowl march 2011 begins now!

(I realize in Rocky II that Mick says that in the hospital. I just couldn't think of that scenario)

This is good for us. Mike is forced to spend more, and there will be fewer holdouts.

I can picture it now. Andy Dalton is sitting in a church, and Jay Gruden walks in and says "What are we waiting for!!!!!!!!!" Start the Rocky theme music! Super Bowl march 2011 begins now!

(I realize in Rocky II that Mick says that in the hospital. I just couldn't think of that scenario)

I think it was Rocky IV when Adrian yelled at Rocky from the top of the stairs "You can't win!!!!". (Cue "No Easy Way Out")

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e3984/article/owners-ok-new-labor-agreement-focus-now-on-players-vote?module=HP11_breaking_news

Now it's up to the players. Earlier Thursday, Smith said recertification is a serious issue that the players will consider individually.

"I certainly remember comments from some of the owners about how we may not even be a real union," Smith said. "Well, guess what? The decision to decertify was important because at the time we were a real union. And the decision for our players, as men, to come back as a union is going to be an equally serious and sober one that they have to make."

One of the things being discussed in terms of a settlement is how and when the NFLPA would recertify as a union. Player sources indicated to NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the NFLPA wants to use a system of signed cards and follow certain bylaws in order to recertify.

The issue between the parties is mainly one of time, specifically how long it would take to collect approximately 1,900 signatures. Getting those signatures takes time, and the league obviously is looking to open for business as soon as possible. There is the possibility the National Labor Relations Board could help speed things up, even if the recertification process is done by actual signature.

The parties also could come to a compromise, according to a source, whereby the lockout is lifted before a full global settlement is reached -- which would have to include recertification in order to have a full CBA -- to allow players to report in the interim.

That would make it easier to collect signatures and cards of players currently under contract since they would be centrally located at team facilities. If that takes place, in theory, then the signatures needed could be obtained over weekend and allow the league year to begin next week.