Official Lockout Thread

Kazkal

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody just needs to go out and drink a beer or get some crack and relax.

That's what I've been saying for a couple of.....months.

I've definately been thinking that but have only voiced it to my wife who is Italian and very impatient about the lockout. I need to apply this type of patience to Sunday's during the season. That's my next step.

....puff...puff....(give)

Let's hope this is finally the beginning of t he end. I think it was interesting to see how the stance of the (we're not a) union changed from Thursday night into early Friday and then the rest of the day on Friday until now. I was off work yesterday and was amused by all of the tweeting and commentary on TV that the players were doing. At some point the tone changed and it seemed like the histrionics of the night before were done. Obviously, things weren't as bad as first reported.

I am interested in some of the other issues that need to be worked out once the NFLPA is reconstituted. Will drug testing, player conduct and suspensions become a larger issue once they resolve the major money points? Personally, I'd like to see them lower the hammer even more. But the Redeemer would probably have less to choose from, so he probably wouldn't go for any of it.

Let's hope this is finally the beginning of t he end. I think it was interesting to see how the stance of the (we're not a) union changed from Thursday night into early Friday and then the rest of the day on Friday until now. I was off work yesterday and was amused by all of the tweeting and commentary on TV that the players were doing. At some point the tone changed and it seemed like the histrionics of the night before were done. Obviously, things weren't as bad as first reported.

I am interested in some of the other issues that need to be worked out once the NFLPA is reconstituted. Will drug testing, player conduct and suspensions become a larger issue once they resolve the major money points? Personally, I'd like to see them lower the hammer even more. But the Redeemer would probably have less to choose from, so he probably wouldn't go for any of it.

I heard the players want a review board for discipline. They don't seem too thrilled with Goodell having real ultimate power.

I think the owners really put the players in a bad light. I think they made them look stupid and unprepared.

The players gave a vote of confidence to De Smith and company to get things done and then immediately after the owners made their announcement about their proposal agreement, the players were tweeting all kinds of bullsh*t. Sort of like the dude from the Redskins talking about getting bambozzled and all that crap. Here we are a couple of days later and I think all those players look really stupid.

Lesson learned here for the players ??

Just keep your mouth shut unless you know what the f*ck you are talking about.

I use to feel bad for them. Not anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

And we're not...quite...done...yet...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/nfl-nflpa-continue-to-work-toward-completing-cba/

NFL, NFLPA continue to work toward completing CBA

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT

Steelers safety and NFLPA representative Ryan Clark sounded an unexpected alarm on Wednesday regarding the completion of the new CBA. Clark said that the deal may not be done in time for players who signed new or restructured contracts to practice on Thursday.

Clark blamed the delay on Commissioner Roger Goodell’s stance on player discipline.

Still, a subsequent Associated Press report paints a slightly more optimistic picture. Per Barry Wilner of the Associated Press, Giants long snapper Zak DeOssie said it’s “looking very optimistic” that the deal will be done on time.

Clark echoed his Debbie Downer disposition to Wilner: “De Smith is still working, and we’re trying to get this figured out. But it’s not an absolute that guys will be at practice tomorrow.”

While HGH testing remains a point of contention, Goodell’s authority when it comes to fines and suspensions apparenty has taken center stage. “[W]ith Roger Goodell having total control over the fine process, that’s a deal-breaker for us in this situation,” Clark said. “We feel like someone else should be on there; there should be some . . . type of way — actually someone who’s not on the NFL payroll. A big issue, for us, especially, as a team, is Roger Goodell . . . being judge, jury and appeals system.”

While Clark has a point when it comes to penalties imposed under the substance-abuse policy, the steroids policy, and the personal conduct policy, the Commissioner currently doesn’t have final say when it comes to discipline for illegal hits and other on-field conduct. In reality, Art Shell and Ted Cottrell make the final call on these matters, and the two former coaches were jointly selected by and are collectively compensated by the NFL and the NFLPA.

Unfortunately, this paragraph from Wilner will perpetuate the misconception: “Pittsburgh has been one of the most fined teams in the league, particularly star linebacker James Harrison. The Steelers have been vocal about what they perceive as unfair treatment by the NFL.”

Another potential sticking point comes from the stated intention of the NFL to hold players responsible for off-field misconduct during the lockout, a position that we continue to regard as ludicrous.

Either way, De Smith expressed optimism last week on PFT Live that the deal will get done. And since many of you have made it clear that you don’t want to hear about CBA matters now that football is back, we’ll stop her and get back to football.

Awwww...those poor Steelers, so abused... :rolleyes: