Official Lockout Thread

Kazkal

And there's part of the disconnect between what the owners want and what the fans expect.

I don't think there's a fan out there that really cares how revenue sharing impacts their team.

I know I don't. After everything is said and done, the organization will go about doing things as they always do.

It won't affect things that directly impact me as a fan.

I agree that in general fans aren't interested in/don't care about revenue sharing. They just want football. The trouble is -- and Ray Ratto had a good column on this a couple days ago -- that until the revenue-sharing problem is addressed, situations like the lockout will reoccur, probably with increasing frequency.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there's part of the disconnect between what the owners want and what the fans expect.

I don't think there's a fan out there that really cares how revenue sharing impacts their team.

I know I don't. After everything is said and done, the organization will go about doing things as they always do.

I agree that in general fans aren't interested in/don't care about revenue sharing. They just want football. The trouble is -- and Ray Ratto had a good column on this a couple days ago -- that until the revenue-sharing problem is addressed, situations like the lockout will reoccur, probably with increasing frequency.

Such is life when trying to determine the best way to split billions of dollars among a bunch of greedy ass individuals...

I'm all for whatever they need to do in order to keep football going for an extended amount of time.

Thing is, I don't care how they go about doing it. Don't play it up in the media and expect me or any fan to take sides.

Just shut the f*ck up and make this sh*t happen !!!

Oh good God, not another article naming someone or something about the Bengals is the worst ever.

Now there will be another tired response to the ranking on the Who Dey Perspective on the official site.

Again, while I am more than willing to give credit where credit is due, does anyone think this question would have been any different at the #1 spot ??

I could probably think of a few more guys that could have been on that list, but #1 was a lock with little to no thought.

Joe Montana doesn't even make the top 10?

Kids these days...

Reggie Jackson, Dick Wagner, Steve Garvey, Akili Smith, Bill Cowher, Art Modell, Ray Lewis, Tommy LaSorda, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Roger Clemens came to mind right away. Like you said.....kids.

John Clayton said this morning that one of the issues for owners like Mike Brown (yes, he mentioned him by name) was that the salary floor was going to be raised to 90% of the cap. That could very well influence what us fans see on the field when you're used to an owner that gives the line every year "well we have to save $X million for bonuses/injury settlements"

John Clayton said this morning that one of the issues for owners like Mike Brown (yes, he mentioned him by name) was that the salary floor was going to be raised to 90% of the cap.

Could be. But generally speaking the Bengals do spend up to or close to the cap each year, it's just that they often get there by amortizing bonus money ahead of time. Now, if they are talking about some kind of "hard floor" where teams have to spend actual cash each year up to 90% of the cap, I could see a lot of owners, not just Brown, objecting.

But from what Mike has said over the years, his big beef is that the '06 deal changed the cap formula from all shared revenues to total football revenues, which means that the big pots of unshared coin generated by teams like DC and New England drive up his costs, but he doesn't get any of that money. And for the record, I think he has a point. But since it doesn't sound like this new deal will address that issue, I would say that whatever its other vices/virtues, the chances Mike gives it a "yes" vote are practically nil.

Mort with some actual details of the deal being discussed:

/>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6687485

Players to get 48% of $9 billion vs. 60% of $8 billion, which amounts to a player giveback of $500m.

Rookie wage scale to be included, still being tweaked.

18 game season included as an item to be discussed down the road, not mandated.

Teams have to spend 90% to 93% of the cap.

Mort with some actual details of the deal being discussed:

/>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6687485

Players to get 48% of $9 billion vs. 60% of $8 billion, which amounts to a player giveback of $500m.

Rookie wage scale to be included, still being tweaked.

18 game season included as an item to be discussed down the road, not mandated.

Teams have to spend 90% to 93% of the cap.

Here's the math:

Under this CBA, owners payout 48% of $9Bill= $4.32Bill...divided by 32 teams equals a salary cap of $135M per team.

Under the old CBA, the owners took $1B off the top leaving a pool of $8B x 60%= $4.8B...divided by 32 teams= salary cap of $150M.

So each team is saving $15M per year under this plan. Will that be enough for the owners? I also have read that the salary floor will be quite high, like maybe 90% of the cap which will piss off owners like Mike Brown

So each team is saving $15M per year under this plan. Will that be enough for the owners? I also have read that the salary floor will be quite high, like maybe 90% of the cap which will piss off owners like Mike Brown

I'm all for anything that pisses off owners like Mike Brown who cares more for his bank account than for the product he puts on the field.

F**k him.

So each team is saving $15M per year under this plan. Will that be enough for the owners?

I think so. Originally, the players were getting about 60% of total revenues ($9 billion) minus $1 billion off the top. As you note that's about $4.8b. What the owners proposed was lopping another $1b off the top, and if my math is right that would have reduced the players' share to about $4.2b. The deal leaked today gives the players about $4.3b. So basicaly the owners wanted about $600m in givebacks and got about $500m. I think thats a pretty clear win for them.

I also have read that the salary floor will be quite high, like maybe 90% of the cap which will piss off owners like Mike Brown

Maybe. But in the $135m example, 90% is $121.5m, so there's still some room. And it should cut down on signing bonus craziness, since there won't be near as much room to amortize such things any more. So it will be more of a pay-for-performance league, which Mike will definitely like.

• 2 weeks later...

Minus a rookie payscale, we won't get anyone into camp. I saw that on NFL Network as well and they speculated that if the deal were to be struck by th 15th of July, it would give the teams 3 weeks to conduct all business prior to the first preseason game. So, minus that rookie payscale, would anyone have a ton of optimism they would get their players in on time ??

Maybe it wouldn't last into week one, but I certainly wouldn't be thinking we would see a bunch of the rookies in the preseason.

That would just suck when looking at our situation with Dalton and Green.

At this point, I'm not too worried about when anyone gets into camp (if there is a camp, of course). The Bengals are already screwed. One week or three weeks of prep doesn't strike me as likely to make much difference. Preseason 2012 starts when they sign a new deal and will end in about 14 months.

Call it what you will, but the more time guys like Dalton and Green get in this season, when few fans have high expectations, the better off they will be when next season rolls around. Maybe instead of winning 5-6 games, a winning season might be in store. I'm just sick of always having a rookie miss the better portion of training camp and then the following season hear, "Well so and so should be better since he will have a full camp under his belt".

Sure, the season is probably done before it starts, but I want to see these kids play early and often.

Sure, the season is probably done before it starts, but I want to see these kids play early and often.

Absolutely, which is why I'm not on the vet QB bandwagon. This will be a learn-as-you-go season. One small blessing is that the schedule is somewhat weaker up front: @Cleveland, @Denver, the San Fran and Buffalo in the first four games. So at least Dalton -- and at this point I am assuming he's the starter -- will have a little time to pull it together before encountering the Pitt and Balti defenses in the second half of the season.

This lockout has caused so much crap! If and when it's over, teams have to scramble to sign FA and draft picks. I hope our Draft picks don't decide to hold out! Then we need to get the coaches and players on the same sheet of music, learn the systems, get back in football shape, etc. Not sure what kind of season it'll be but I am hoping for a season!

Preseason 2012 starts when they sign a new deal and will end in about 14 months.

Correction: The Cincinnati Bengals official unofficial 2012 preseason actually began in earnest sometime around June 2010. In fact, the Bengals have played five pre-pre-season games and 16 regular season pre-season games already, and are scheduled to play another four pre-pre-season and an additional 16 regular season pre-season games this year.

You do realize that by repeatedly posting these updates you guys are making it needlessly difficult for guys like me to ignore everything related to the lockout. Even worse, your updates appear to be s**t.

You're not helping.

The above was true in April. It was also true once again in May. And yes, it proved to be just as true in June. And now here we are in July.

Some things never change.

I was listening to espn on the way in to work this a.m. and from the reports they had, it sounds like they're in the home stretch. Apparently God-el, De Smith, and some of the owners and players are getting together today and tomorrow to review what the lawyers have drawn up. There's some hopeful talk of a "handshake deal" by the weekend, with actual pens hitting actual paper sometime next week. If they don't get something done by next week, you can pretty much scratch the Hall of Fame game and the 1st week of preseason, so here's hoping...

I was listening to espn on the way in to work this a.m. and from the reports they had, it sounds like they're in the home stretch. Apparently God-el, De Smith, and some of the owners and players are getting together today and tomorrow to review what the lawyers have drawn up. There's some hopeful talk of a "handshake deal" by the weekend, with actual pens hitting actual paper sometime next week. If they don't get something done by next week, you can pretty much scratch the Hall of Fame game and the 1st week of preseason, so here's hoping...

Thats leaving alot of cash on the table. That Hall of Fame game last year had a 13 share, game 6 of the NBA finals had a 15 share. Thats amazing.