All things T.O.

agreen_112

And, right of schedule, comes the next page in the Rosenhaus playbook, the public leaking of TO's salary demands...

http://profootballta...t-asking-price/

Some call it leaking, I'll call it begging.

Here's the video clip of TO......
/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/07/27/report-owens-would-cut-salary-in-half-to-play-in-cincinnati/

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the whole situation, why is anyone surprised that the Bengals are getting "Sapped" again?

Quite honestly...there's a big part of me that would be just as thrilled to miss out on Owens as I was when the Raiders stepped in and saved the Bengals from a bullet. Because just as in that example I see the Owens signing bringing as many potential negatives as positives.

That said, at this point I'm not taking the Jet rumor seriously....even though I kind of want to.

Relax guys. TO will be a Bengal. The Jets explore everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY. They get linked to anyone and everyone including Jamarcus Russell a few weeks ago. I don't see Owens in NY. I guess it can't be ruled out but it is highly unlikely. Some of you might have nailed it sensing this as a bargaining tactic from Rosenhaus too....

Ok, let me try this again...

Why would we want Cosby as the #6 WR and claim we can't get rid of him because of what he brings to the ST table, when he would be inactive ??

Because he would not be Mr Inactive #6, he'd be Mr Active #5. Caldwell would be the inactive if Bryant is healthy, and some other schmuck would be if Bryant is not healthy.

Marvin says signing TO has nothing to do with the health of Bryant's knee, so I will remain hopeful with that statement.

I still think Bryant was a good signing and will have a better than average season.

I hope he is not just blowing smoke, as any head coach is wont to do. Obvously, would prefer Bryant to be Healthy.

Don't get me wrong TJ, I'm with you in what Cosby brings to the table and his production last year. My line of thought is how little he brought to the table as a WR. He's very one dimensional as a slot guy, whereas Caldwell brings the ability to play all WR spots and can also be counted on in the return game. So, for how much I like Cosby, he just doesn't offer as much as Caldwell does from my standpoint and if Cosby isn't the #5, I think he's gone.

I've made the statement that I'm expecting big things from the team this year regardless of who shows up on the schedule.

A top 5 defense, a top end running game, a top end o-line, a real TE threat, a healthy Carson, an improved WR corps, and people cast doubts due to the schedule.

I get that, I just don't agree.

Not sure about the "top end 0-line" part though...I think pass protection like last year and the year before is still a major issue/weakeness. The lack of a passing game had just as much to do with Palmer's inability to step up and have time to throw too often, as it did losing TJ (and Kelly to a lesser extent).

Of course we can hold out hope that Andre Smith and Gresham (if he doesn't miss half of training camp per the norm here) are the real deal and improve that part of things.

In any case I would say the 0-line is, once again, their weak area, although that was certainly shared by the TE's and WR's last year.

Maybe I should have defined that a little better. While I don't think they are the #2 o-line, as a recent article suggests, I think they are a top 10 line, which would put them in the top end of things. While I agree, although others won't, that the pass protection wasn't as good as some think last year and could potentially be a problem again this season, I simply think they will be an improved unit that will give a healthy Carson more time to allow his WR to get where they need to be in their routes.

With that being the line of thought in regards to the line, all of the WR's should by default have a better season. While their individual stats may not be overwhelming with there being so many weapons for Carson, I think the passing game improves greatly this season. Adding TO to that mix isn't the great concern for me that it may be for others.

I won't shed a tear if he doesn't end up in stripes, but I won't complain if he does...

For those of us who love a little front office hardball....this is good stuff.

And for those of us who prefer winning games?

First, remind yourself how no games are being played right now...so what you're asking for is currently impossible. Next, ask yourself if Owens is the type of player who needs to be added at all costs? Unless your answer is yes....you've got very little grounds for complaint. Finally, if Owens is added at a fraction of his asking price hasn't Mike Brown done his job?

Frankly, I want Owens cheaply or not at all.

One thing is crystal clear - the whole "I just want to join a winning team" statement was a falsehood.

If it were not, he'd have signed days ago

He is holding out for money. His last payday.

I really, really hope we don't sign this lying sack of crap.

Why? Because the bengals are the only team in the NFL that is a "winning" team?

Give it up.

I've said it before, but I'm not at an "all in" point with TO and won't ever be. We have other options.

I'm simply intrigued with the "what could be" understanding the answer might not be much.

However, if the answer is on the positive side of that question, no one would be complaining.

I'm neither here nor there and can certainly admit this is one of those times that I am enjoying seeing Mike Brown play hardball.

You just know he isn't going to budge even a half inch with how much they offer TO.

If TO can be had for $3M and change - as TO claims - he's worth it for a one-year deal.

He's worth that much if he can get it.

If he can't.....he isn't.

And there's the rub because without a viable second bidder Owens worth is determined by whatever amount the Bengals are willing to pay.

Well, it's happened. Receiver Terrell Owens has agreed to terms with the Bengals.

Per a league source, Owens will receive a base salary of $2 million. He can earn up to another $2 million in incentives.

(We reported it first, scooping even the OCNN, which put the word out several minutes after us.)

The source says that the incentives are based on receptions, yards, and touchdowns.

Given that the Bengals didn't really have a need at the position and in light of the franchise's reputation for being extremely careful with money, it's a good deal for Owens. He gets more than twice the veteran minimum for a player of his experience, and though the specific triggers for the $2 million are not yet known, it's our understanding that if he performs like he did last year in Buffalo (55 catches, 829 yards, five touchdowns), he'll earn most of the money.

That said, the decision to tie that much money to performance could create friction, if Owens isn't on the field as much as he believes he needs to be. But the Bengals likely know this, and the decision potentially reflects a concession that Antonio Bryant isn't going to be what they thought he was going to be.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/27/to-picks-the-bengals/

2 million with the chance to earn 4 ?? Not a bad deal for either side.

If he doesn't earn it, we get him for 1.25 million less than what he was looking for.

If he does earn it, we got a WR that helped the passing offense greatly.

Now I simply hope Marvin wasn't blowing smoke about the signing having nothing to do with Bryant's knee

**LADIES AND GENTLEMEN**

Let me direct your attention to the center ring !!!

Matt jones!!! :( Haha i guess we have the big 3 now,.. If we keep Simpson Caldwell and Shipley they'll be the big 3 of the future :D

Pretty f**kin' pumped about this. Which surprises me.

Bryant insurance? Check.

Teams no longer able to double up on our receivers? Check.

Let's do it.

Mike Brown has gone all in. Never thought I would live to see the day.

wow. carson has a nice selection of weapons this season... Ocho, TO, Bryant, Shipley, Caldwell, Gresham, Coffman, Scott... hope he can get it going again.

in related news, the Ravens suddenly realize they might need a CB or two...

Pretty nice things said on NFL Network when they broke in with the news. Also nice things said on ESPN on SC at the top of the hour.

More at 7:00 on NFL Live for those interested on ESPN, along with Total Access on NFL Network.