All things T.O.

agreen_112

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This from Josh Kirkendall

I think that we are OK at WR without T.O. and Bryant.

I would much rather have a young Matt Jones or Andre Caldwell starting than an over the hill T.O.

Gotta Disagree if it meant Caldwell wouldn't make team then I'd pass on Jones but starting? Caldwell still hasn't proven he can do that Matt Jones looks to be on his way out of football.I'd like to give Briscoe a chance but I'd take Owens over Jones,Simpson & Briscoe.

Who gets the last spot ??

Byrant,T.O & Chad = no Special teams Unless Simpson looks simply amazing I think cosby has to be the guy he improves all special teams just not returning.

I just watched an ESPN update featuring Marvin and Mike discussing why they're interested. Both looked relaxed and comfortable. Marvin seems fully onboard. Mike looked like a guy who just drew a third ace.

Football elf John Clayton followed, saying the Bengals want a deal done by Thursday, and said both sides are moving very aggressively right now. Clayton said Owens has other options, but none are as serious as the Bengals. In short, it's almost a done deal.

Yes, it seems like it's come down to formalities. I think it certainly makes the offense better. I'm very interested in seeing how a coach as mild-mannered but still iron-fisted as Marvin handles Owens, especially considering the experience he as already accumulated managing Chad's questionable sanity for seven years.

Its time to let Simpson go he has not gotten yet, and what are the chances that he will?

Wasn't it just yesterday Marvin spoke about how excited Simpson was knowing he'll finally get a chance to show what he can do in preseason games?

Speaking only for myself, I'm willing to wait a few more weeks....just to see what Simpson can do.

No, make me the boss and the Matt Jones experiment ends the moment Owens brings popcorn to our circus.

From all I've read about Jones' performance from his initial workout to minicamps, it's sounded like his chances of making the roster were roughly 0.00001% anyhow. Certainly, I think you can safely call a swap of Coke Zero for T.O. an upgrade.

As for Simpson, unless they are willing to sacrifice Caldwell or Cosby (or go light at some other spot) it's hard to see where he fits. But sure, take him to camp. Can't hurt.

I think it certainly makes the offense better.

It's instant offense. Timing will need to be developed, but the Bengals can now build this seasons passing game around at least three veterans. Four if you count Caldwell, which I will. And five if you count Matt Jones, which I won't.

I'm very interested in seeing how a coach as mild-mannered but still iron-fisted as Marvin handles Owens, especially considering the experience he as already accumulated managing Chad's questionable sanity for seven years.

I could write a million words why I hate this idea but I won't. Because there's no need to say what could be said. And there's no logic in fighting what can't be fought. So instead I'll comfort myself knowing the Bengals are taking a shot, swinging for the fences, et cetera.

Just watch. They'll surpass the Ravens as favorites.

As for Lewis and how his sanity might be tested? I've wondered to myself if the Bengals might be the only team in the NFL where Owens might not be the distraction myself many have feared....precisely because of how little Lewis seems to care about those types of things. As others have said, this is the only place where Chad could get away with his antics....and Owens brings with him a nearly identical act, right?

Ok bear with me on this...

Chad, TO, Bryant, Shipley right ??

If Caldwell is there, isn't he the 5th over Cosby ?? If Caldwell is in fact the #5 WR, what purpose does Cosby serve at that point ??

All of what he may bring to ST is useless being inactive as the #6. I just don't see Caldwell being the inactive guy of the group.

Soooooo, with Cosby being shown the door, the #6 inactive guy is going to be an outside guy.

Simpson, Jones, or Briscoe will get the spot. I'm still thinking Briscoe is the new Simpson...

Ocho, Bryant, T.O., Shipley, Caldwell, and a fight between Cosby and Simpson for the last spot. That sounds like a damn good WR corps to me. We can put Briscoe on the practice squad for the season (I REALLY doubt anybody would sign him off our P.S.) so if the T.O deal is only 1 year, we still have Dez next year and hopefully he comes out better/learns from being on the P.S.

Write this down....If we do sign T.O. there may be some antics, but there DEFINITELY will be FIRE. Chad and T.O. will draw off each other and are very competitive guys (think Chad and TJ). I think it will make both of them better....and most importantly....HAPPY.

We just might be a passing team again.....Those WR's and Jermaine Gresham at TE gives me chills......

with Cosby being shown the door

uhm, no.

Cosby is a lock whether we sign Terrible Owens or not.

on special teams talents alone, tho he brings more to the table than just that

ya who knows maybe they go 6 WR's game day(doubtful but you never know) I just can't see them dumping cosby for Jones/simpson...Someone may get hurt or they may decide they need more for there special teams unit...You have your top 3 who will play Zero special teams I just can't see 6th# going to someone who also doesn't play special teams...People get injured and Cosby could be activated if a ST from another position goes down Simpson or Jones still would remain inactive.

I think what everybody is missing is the team chemistry that this team has had and T.O. will destroy.

And why are we in this spot ? we counted on L. Coles an aging WR at the end of his career and was not the asnwer.

Then we signed A. Bryant another aging WR at the end of his career- he may have never healed from injuries suffered last year.( old guys tend to get injuried more)

Now we are looking at another aging WR at the end of his career ,who didnt look that good last year ,in T.O.

If we had limitless roster spots it might not be so bad but, if we keep T.O. it means that we will have to get rid of a good WR inorder to keep T.O.

Who ever we cut will no doubt be picked up by another team and maybe a team in the division just to have T.O. for one year.

Another thing, Everybody has been down on Matt Jones based on what a handful of writters wrote about the guy at what is not even practice or training camp but is pretty much walk throughs.

Dont foget Matt Jones did not play football for a year and is no doubt out of shape- he will get better closer to the end of camp.

Dont forget Matt Jones is 6'6 over 220 and runs a 4.39

Dont forget Andre Caldwell looked great at times and won some games for us last year he runs a 4.31 and Marvin called him the "most imporved player" from last year to this year.

Dont forget that people have been raving about former 2nd rnd pick Jerome Simpson.

Can anyone imagine Chad and T.O. on the same team ? it makes me sick to think about.

Team chemistry aside, I just dont want to loose Matt Jones, Dez Briscoe , or Jerome Simpson (good young WR's)forever just to rent T.O. for a year.- plus I am not so sure anything is left in his tank.

If TO signs

and

if there are no injuries (and this means bryant is healthy, which is a big if given the pursuit of Terrible Owens)

then

1 Chad

2 Bryant

3 Terrible

4 Shipley or Caldwell

5 Cosby

6 Caldwell or Shipley (inactive on Sunday)

7 Briscoe (Practice Squad)

If Bryant is as beat up as I suspect given this activity, tho, he goes on IR despite the huge signing bonus, Terrible moves to 2, Shipley/Caldwell move up to 3 and 4 (order dependant on production), Cosby stays at 5, and then its a free for all for the inactive-every-sunday 6th spot. I'd favor Purify here over the alternatives.

The only way Simpson survives again is through injury - his or another's

I think what everybody is missing is the team chemistry that this team has had and T.O. will destroy.

If you think the psyche of the football team is so fragile that one controversial elderly receiver can destroy it, then I recommend you just skip watching this season. I'm kidding of course, but I am more than sick of hearing that sort of silliness.

with Cosby being shown the door

uhm, no.

Cosby is a lock whether we sign Terrible Owens or not.

on special teams talents alone, tho he brings more to the table than just that

Haha you really think that bro... Props to you... T.O is the coffin for my favorite... (matt jones) and yours... (cosby) Just gotta face the facts

Apparently they are cooling off on Antonio very quickly. We need to get Palmer weapons. We should all be happy if T.O. signs and most importantly it's just going to be a 1 year deal. We have young receivers who could use another year. This is going to be a crazy year, but the depth and talent at receiver needs to be there for the playoff run!

We need to get Palmer weapons.

It appears Palmer feels confident enough to start picking his own weapons and demonstrating that by pimping the signing of T.O. and working out with him. For me that's all I need to hear from the man who leads our offense.

Ok, looking at this again if Marvin is to be believed when he says, signing TO has nothing to do with Bryant's knee:

Chad

Bryant

T.O.

Caldwell

Shipley

Who gets the last spot ??

Purify is out along with F. Brown.

Do they go Cosby or hope the return abilites of others pans out ??

If it's an outside guy, does Simpson or Jones have one last life or do they go with a rookie in Briscoe who won't clear waivers ??

My honest opinion is they hope the other return guys can make it happen (Shipley or Adam Jones) and Cosby is done.

I will say if Briscoe is healthy, he gets the inactive 6th spot. Just a guess...

I agree Shula, it's appealing for sure and this team is simply at a stage where good players get cut.

Dude. You're so wrong. T.O. is a #2 if not a #1!!! Bryant > T.O. I'm just happy that we'll have a triple threat..

Ok bear with me on this...

Chad, TO, Bryant, Shipley right ??

If Caldwell is there, isn't he the 5th over Cosby ?? If Caldwell is in fact the #5 WR, what purpose does Cosby serve at that point ??

All of what he may bring to ST is useless being inactive as the #6. I just don't see Caldwell being the inactive guy of the group.

Soooooo, with Cosby being shown the door, the #6 inactive guy is going to be an outside guy.

Simpson, Jones, or Briscoe will get the spot. I'm still thinking Briscoe is the new Simpson...

I'm thinking Bryant might be worse than they are letting on. Is he possibly headed for the PUP list? In that case one of the above mentioned will have to stick (for now).

It's premature but this tells me that something isn't quite right with AB.