The draft is blowing up right now.

HairOnFire

hmm... i think it's clear by now that we have to go either pass-rusher or LT. at our draft spot, that means orakpo or curry for the primary, and jason smith or eugene monroe (or andre smith, it seems we're a bit undecided on him) for the latter. since stafford is (basically) a lock for detroit at #1, we'll get one of the aforementioned guys, guaranteed. the bad part is that two LT-needy teams will be drafting before us (seattle to replace jones and st. louis to replace pace), so we'll "only" get whoever remains from the Ts, if that's the direction we indeed want to go. as for curry and orakpo, both KC and the Turds i think will go D, so they might both be off the board - either of those teams will have to pull a surprise move and draft jenkins or crabtree or maualuga or something like that.

on a side note, isn't everyone saying that this draft is pretty deep in terms of T talent? so what are the chances of picking up an eventual starting LT/RT in the 3rd round or so, and go DE/LB in the 1st and get a C in the 2nd round?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat guys get fat. That's a fact, and it's not one that scares me away from the Alabama fat guy. The question is whether screwing up the combine was a one-time stupid move. Or was it the way he handles everything? There will be plenty of background investigation done to determine this. If it's the latter, Marvin will probably steer clear. 22-year-old guys are dimwits, at least I know I was.

I guess I'm saying one stupid move doesn't tell me enough about this kid. But I do know I've read the phrase, "road-grader," to describe him. I'd say that fits pretty well with Marvin's vision of our future offense. It's pretty clear he's not a team leader type. And that's ok, as long as he can be a follower.

anyone remember how jamarcus russell was like two years ago? highly talented guy, was projected to be a top-5 pick. fantastic college career. then he showed up overweight at the combine, didn't really perform in Indy IIRC, held out for ages (prolly his agent told him to do that). and look what he's doing now in oakland.

i just don't want to draft andre smith and have him turn out the same.

The only concern I ave re SMith is he tanked so he would go to a better team later in r1. I doubt he goes past TB at 19, he is simply too talented but those at the top will be gun-shy due to his flakiness.

There could be many reasons, some already discussed.

He tanked to be taken by a better team later, but that's money out of pocket.

Agent is trying to get him to a better team later, but that's money out of HIS pocket.

Teams are trying to get him to fall so they can pick him later. (This sounds the most reasonable)

There could be many reasons, some already discussed.

He tanked to be taken by a better team later, but that's money out of pocket.

Agent is trying to get him to a better team later, but that's money out of HIS pocket.

Teams are trying to get him to fall so they can pick him later. (This sounds the most reasonable)

If we trade Chad you can bet your ass Mikey will spend number 6 on Crabtree. Id rather keep him and go DE at 6 and OL at 38.

go DE at 6 and OL at 38.

but that just about limits you to curry and orakpo at #6 (i don't think we need a DT, so raji's out), and both KC and the turds might be looking to get those two guys.

Brown is considered top 10 and well he said limit to End or LB even...probably depending whos there if Curry is gone Orakpo is gone and don't feel brown is worth 6 then acourse gonna look another direction...

....I do know I've read the phrase, "road-grader," to describe him. I'd say that fits pretty well with Marvin's vision of our future offense.

That's the key word. Fit.

Because for all of the talk about drafting an OL at #6 the best fit has always been Andre Smith.

Plug and play.

A day one starter.

....I do know I've read the phrase, "road-grader," to describe him. I'd say that fits pretty well with Marvin's vision of our future offense.

That's the key word. Fit.

Because for all of the talk about drafting an OL at #6 the best fit has always been Andre Smith.

Plug and play.

A day one starter.

Music to my ears.

I know that this is "smokescreen" season but Marvin had this to see at the Combine, regarding the O-linemen (from the Enquirer):

"I have not seen all the prospects, but the total group is probably a pretty good group," he said. "I don't know that there's the standout, a franchise guy type player, but maybe I'm wrong. Generally guys go up and down, but I think in the total group this is a particularly good group."

Also noteworthy is the fact that Paul Alexander interviewed every O-lineman there on the first day, except Andre Smith, who was still at the Combine at that point. Needless to say, it is very unusual for a team to pass up an opportunity to interview a top prospect at one of the first opportunities to learn more about a player as they prepare their prospect evaluations. I believe the Bengals have taken Smith off of their draft board.

Marvin has been attempting to get a bonafide pash rusher ever since he got here in 2003. He team was reportedly set to take Derrick Harvey just last season, when Jacksonville traded up before the Bengals pick to get him. This year, he'll have the oportunity to get one of the top rushers from a group of Orakpo, Brown and Maybin. I think one of those 3 players (unless Curry falls) will be the pick and the Bengals will look for a player (or two) they can develop along the O-line in the middle rounds.

Only going by what I've sat and listened to, but the other day on NFL Network all the "gurus" were talking and they all said if they were going to pick one OT that they would project to LT in the NFL, it was A. Smith. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a better RT at the next level, only their response in relation to the other OT's in the draft. Take that for what it's worth...

michael lombardi (ex-raiders front office) said on nfl network that al davis lives and drafts by the 40 time - with crabtree not running, and magically shrinking prior to the combine (listed at 6'3'', combine was 6'1''something'''), i dunno. plus, davis loves home run hitters - crabtree, on all accounts, lacks the deep burner speed.

The timed 40 can be a bit deceiving as well in regards to it not accurately being able to determine a players quickness in and out of routes, but I get what you are saying. The Raiders have a great need at WR and were a team thought to covet T.O, but not at the asking price. There is absolutely no reason for the Raiders to claim they want Crabtree if they don't. If they really don't and are just throwing his name out there, once again it works to the Bengals advantage because teams will have to them at #6 to get Crabtree knowing we don't want him.

The draft is also deep at OT, which is a need they can address later.

I know that this is "smokescreen" season but Marvin had this to see at the Combine, regarding the O-linemen (from the Enquirer):

"I have not seen all the prospects, but the total group is probably a pretty good group," he said. "I don't know that there's the standout, a franchise guy type player, but maybe I'm wrong. Generally guys go up and down, but I think in the total group this is a particularly good group."

Also noteworthy is the fact that Paul Alexander interviewed every O-lineman there on the first day, except Andre Smith, who was still at the Combine at that point. Needless to say, it is very unusual for a team to pass up an opportunity to interview a top prospect at one of the first opportunities to learn more about a player as they prepare their prospect evaluations. I believe the Bengals have taken Smith off of their draft board.

Marvin has been attempting to get a bonafide pash rusher ever since he got here in 2003. He team was reportedly set to take Derrick Harvey just last season, when Jacksonville traded up before the Bengals pick to get him. This year, he'll have the oportunity to get one of the top rushers from a group of Orakpo, Brown and Maybin. I think one of those 3 players (unless Curry falls) will be the pick and the Bengals will look for a player (or two) they can develop along the O-line in the middle rounds.

Count me as one of the guys that is happy we got Keith Rivers and not Harvey.

michael lombardi (ex-raiders front office) said on nfl network that al davis lives and drafts by the 40 time - with crabtree not running, and magically shrinking prior to the combine (listed at 6'3'', combine was 6'1''something'''), i dunno. plus, davis loves home run hitters - crabtree, on all accounts, lacks the deep burner speed.

I also read a article that Al has learned the error in his ways and he is no longer going gun hoe on his GM style. I think he has toned his insationable hunger for workout warriors and one year wonders, which is why he hasn't done to much this off season. He has actually had a pretty damn good offseason, he has signed the top punter and corner in the league to long term deals. He cut the fat that he signed last year, and he got Walker to take a hugeeee paycut. I think if CrabTree is their at six Al takes him, not because of his combine workout for once, but his college numbers. The only other pick I see him taking is OT, but the top two won't be their for him! If Crabtree isn't their and neither of the OT's are as well, I see him taking Raji to fill the spot Sapp left!

A fresh ranking of tackle prospects from the Sporting News's top draft scout, Russ Lande. FWIW, he's got Andre Smith 3rd ranked, but admits he's more talented than the so-called safe pick, Eugene Monroe. The articles biggest boom comes later, much later, where Michael Oher finds himself ranked...(wait for it)....7th.

:lol:

NFL draft: Top 10 offensive tackles

Posted: March 10, 2009

A quick look at the top 10 draft prospects at offensive tackle:

1. Jason Smith, Baylor (6-5, 309)

Not only is Smith the best athlete among offensive line prospects in the 2009 draft, he also is a tireless worker who wants to be the best player on the field. There are not many negatives to his game. He will be a starter from the day he is drafted and has a strong chance to be a Pro Bowler by his second NFL season.

2. Eugene Monroe, Virginia (6-5 1/4, 309)

Monroe emerged as an anchor for Virginia's offensive line as a junior, and his play continued to improve his senior season, causing him to rise on draft boards. He already is a solid pass blocker and strong run blocker, and he simply needs consistency in his technique to become an elite offensive tackle. Overall, he must have done something right to keep the left tackle job at Virginia when Branden Albert (Chiefs) was relegated to playing left guard. Monroe hasn't received the hype of Andre Smith and might not be as talented, but when it comes to overall consistency and a safe bet with a high draft pick, Monroe is the winner.

3. Andre Smith, Alabama (6-4, 332)

Smith has the talent to be an elite offensive tackle in the NFL but will struggle to attain that level unless he can keep his weight under control and play with consistent technique. He might be better as a right tackle, which doesn't require as much responsibility. While Smith is a likely top-10 pick, he has characteristics of being a possible bust.

4. William Beatty, Connecticut (6-6, 307)

Beatty jumps out on film because of his quick footwork and all-around athleticism. If he improves his strength and learns to use his hands more aggressively, Beatty has the tools to become a solid starting left tackle. An impressive Senior Bowl performance really helped his draft status, as he has jumped into first-round consideration.

5. Eben Britton, Arizona (6-6, 309) Britton, a junior, definitely could have returned to school to help his draft status. There's no doubt he has the size, strength and athleticism to become a solid tackle in the NFL, but his tendency to block upright and high leads to ineffectiveness in that area. With improvements in his blocking, he could start at either side at the next level.

6. Jason Watkins, Florida (6-5 5/8, 318)

Watkins' athleticism jumps out on film, but so does his lack of consistency. He has the physical talent to be a premier NFL left tackle, but his technique allows shabby defensive ends to beat him too often. Watkins regressed when he switched from left tackle as a junior to right tackle his senior season. He had fallen more than almost any player over the last year but had a strong week of work at the Senior Bowl. While the ability is there, players with his inconsistencies are not worth gambling on Day 1.

7. Michael Oher, Ole Miss (6-4 1/2, 309)

Oher has the size, strength and athleticism to be an elite left tackle but sure didn't play like it in '08. If he does not greatly improve his technique, footwork, consistency and intensity, he'll struggle to make it in the NFL. Although the book The Blind Side has given him a tremendous amount of positive publicity, details about Oher's learning struggles have hurt his draft stock because coaches are concerned about whether he can handle the mental side of the game. Some less-gifted offensive tackle prospects will be drafted ahead of Oher because of that.

8. T.J. Lang, Eastern Michigan (6-4 1/4, 312)

Lang received marginal evaluations two seasons ago, but his play in '08 took him to a new level and put him in elite company. He has the ability to play all along the offensive line and will rise up draft boards because of his athleticism and versatility. Lang still must get stronger, but he shows the work ethic to be drafted in the first two rounds.

9. Troy Kropog, Tulane (6-5 3/8, 309)

Many thought Kropog would move up draft boards this spring, but he didn't start out well with a bad week at the Senior Bowl. He looked out of place in Mobile, was pushed around at the point of attack and couldn't pass block consistently. Kropog has the athleticism coaches covet, but he must greatly improve his strength and become more consistent with his technique to develop into an NFL starter.

10. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (6-7 3/4, 332)

Loadholt has all the physical tools to develop into a productive NFL starter, but to make it happen he must play a lot better than he did in college. He needs major improvement in his technique, which was exposed at the Senior Bowl, where Loadholt was consistently beaten by just about anyone who lined up against him. He's a major risk if drafted before the fourth round.

Russ Lande founded GM Jr. Scouting LLC, a football scouting service that analyzes NFL draft prospects for Sporting News.