The draft is blowing up right now.

HairOnFire

You never know

I'm just not sold on Orakpo, although like everyone I am in love with the idea of the Bengals someday mounting a ferocious pass rush, as opposed to the status quo, ie no pass rush at all

This leaves me with

Curry - who has the size and experience to play strongside, ie he'd complement Rivers

or

an OT, preferably a LT

I like Raji a lot, but feel we have to give Sims and Shirley a chance to develop, particularly after last year's dominant DTs were not so dominant after all, and Shirley went a full year w/o any new legal troubles.

I don't like any other players at 6 at all.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plus, they need a franchise QB.

Problem is, there's not one in the draft.

I'd much rather wait to get my franchise QB in a draft that has one. Some might say that Detroit will take a couple years anyway, and that dropping a rookie QB into that mess would just ruin him like Harrington. Why not spend a year to get some other pieces in place and draft a QB top-5 next year?

I'm no scout, but this is the weakest QB draft I can remember. Possibly worse than Smith/Rodgers. Taking Stafford or Sanchez first could work out - but could also cripple the team for years.

detroit already took a tackle in last year's first round (ghosder cherilus)... plus, they need a franchise QB.

Gosder plays RT and took over the starters job from George Foster, the guy who just visited the Bengals. OLT is still a need.

BTW, Gil Brandt stated if he were in a position to draft 1st overall Jason Smith would be his choice, but only if Andre Smith doesn't impress during tomorrows Pro Day.

They wouldn't throw Stafford into the mix right away with Culpepper being there. I'm not saying he's the answer there, but he is a vet QB that Stafford can take some time to learn behind. Along the lines of having Carson sitting for his first year. minus the whole year. All waiting to take a QB does is prolong things. If you don't have a QB, you take one. The draft is deep in OT's and not so much in QB's.

They wouldn't throw Stafford into the mix right away with Culpepper being there. I'm not saying he's the answer there, but he is a vet QB that Stafford can take some time to learn behind. Along the lines of having Carson sitting for his first year. minus the whole year. All waiting to take a QB does is prolong things. If you don't have a QB, you take one. The draft is deep in OT's and not so much in QB's.

You can't really pass on a guy like Stafford. He's won at a top level collegiate program and has all the measurables, as they say. He's head and shoulders above either Sanchez or Freeman, and you'd have to think Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow as potentially the top 3 NFL QBs in next year's draft. Quarterback always has and always will be the highest valued position on the team and if you think it's close between Stafford, Jason Smith and Curry, you have to go with the QB.

I agree that Smith has solidified the spot as the #2 pick, which means that Kansas City will likely either pick Curry or Raji third. Seattle should be considered a lock for Monroe at 4. Cleveland becomes the interesting pick as both them and Cincinnati will be looking for pash rushers. I think Cleveland will go with with Orakpo (if Curry is off the board), who is considered by most to be the best pash rusher available in the draft and a good fit for their 3-4 scheme.

That leaves Crabtree, Andre Smith or a slider between Raji or Orakpo on the board for Cincinnati, with dark horses like Everete Brown and Aaron Maybin closing in.

That leaves Crabtree, Andre Smith or a slider between Raji or Orakpo on the board for Cincinnati, with dark horses like Everete Brown and Aaron Maybin closing in.

I'm passing on Crabtree, which gives me Orakpo and Andre Smith as the top choices. Both could be off the board, but I expect one will be there. Then I've got Raji a very distant 3rd.

i wasn't aware of the fact that DT is a position we need to address...

And that's why I said he was a distant 3rd. Because at that point I've got to assume my first two choices were off the board....leaving me with the BPA option or overdrafting for need. In the end I chose a lesser known 3rd option by going with the BPAWINC* draft strategy.

*Best Player Available Who Isn't Named Crabtree.

I'm passing on Crabtree, which gives me Orakpo and Andre Smith as the top choices. Both could be off the board, but I expect one will be there. Then I've got Raji a very distant 3rd.

Re: the OT list you put above, hair, IF oher were to slide to the 2nd round, he'd be worth the flier there, that's for damn sure, whatever the whispers are that are surrounding him. Orakpo/Oher would be a nice first and second set of picks...

love that strategy right there.

out of interest, what are the chances of trading our draft choice to a team like the giants for one of their pass rushers (kiwanuka, tuck, umenyiora)?

Slim and NONE.....The Giants arent going to mess with that D, and I dont know that there is anyone that they would really covet with the #6 pick. Their D-Line, O-Line, Qb's RB's are set.

SO that means, Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe will be gone by 6.

There's increasing speculation both will be gone by 3.

I can see that...

It really opens things up. The Bengals have options, take the BPA at 6(Raji, Crabtree) or trade down and take Maualuga. They can still grab a great OT in the second, and even a good center in the third.

So they can do a number of things.