Bubble? BUBBLE?

membengal

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Mike Brown action shot!

Mike is a fucking hammer.  He gets Paycor to cough up a gazillion dollars, then on the big day dude’s like, “Giant scissors?  That’s all me.” /elbows Paycor CEO out of the way, grabs giant scissors, hacks apart giant ribbon like a boss/

• Haha 1

Also, not for nothing, but this episode of Hear That Podcast Growling where Dehner interviews Elizabeth and Caroline Blackburn is really a must listen. As big a season change for me as a fan as anything is I no longer worry about the direction of the front office. Never thought I would say that. 

https://theathletic.com/podcast/68-hear-that-podcast-growlin/?episode=327

Front office is worlds better.  Deserve more credit nationally than they get since 2003 and 2010.  It simply has changed for the better. 

However, even with that drastic improvement in that same time period Balt and Pitt still beat them in terms of trophy case items.  (Playoff appearance, division champs, conference champ appearances/wins, Superbowls)

The next big step, IMO, once Joe gets paid (he will) how well do they do filling in the gap around him.   Once Dalton got his team friendly deal but still a cap hit increase they struggled once the talent drain came after 2015.   Key players left or got old and less productive.   Balt and Pitt seem to never hit complete bottom. 

I can get behind a pinky-out wine sipping session to celebrate the imminent destruction of any football foes daring to enter the jungle. It will be viewed as pretentious and snooty, but such a posture is earned by winning entire conferences in hostile stadiums against elite quarterbacks.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Front office is worlds better.  Deserve more credit nationally than they get since 2003 and 2010.  It simply has changed for the better. 

However, even with that drastic improvement in that same time period Balt and Pitt still beat them in terms of trophy case items.  (Playoff appearance, division champs, conference champ appearances/wins, Superbowls)

The next big step, IMO, once Joe gets paid (he will) how well do they do filling in the gap around him.   Once Dalton got his team friendly deal but still a cap hit increase they struggled once the talent drain came after 2015.   Key players left or got old and less productive.   Balt and Pitt seem to never hit complete bottom. 

I think you see part of the answer to that in the current “fire sale” mentality when it comes to paying Burrow, combined with their current available salary cap number of about $3 million.

In past years, when faced with the need to pay a star player, the organization would go into a spending lockdown. “You can’t pay everyone” became “you can’t pay anyone.” Hobson would fill articles with moans about how they had to save up to afford the star player, cries of poverty, small market, The Family’s only business, etc, etc. And all the while they would be hoarding cap space under the cover of rookie pools and injury pads.

Now that’s all gone. Yeah, the have to pay Joe and Chase in quick succession, but it hasn’t stopped them from resigning their own talent, being active in FA and even spending down their injury pad to grab that guard from Houston, meaning they will likely have to play the “convert salary to signing bonus” game with a player or two this year to manage that. Meanwhile they’re offering naming rights for everything down to the urinals in the men’s room, it seems, hawking overpriced bottle of wine with their logo on it and probably more as the year goes on to get cash.

How it all works long term will depend on a lot, especially how they do in the draft. But just in terms of the approach, it’s night and day.

They should do some fan interaction stuff.

Maybe sell raffles for a fan to be selected to kick off the first ball. Sort of like the first pitch, but the ball gets placed at the 35 yard line and the fan kicks towards the end zone. That would be super cool as a fan just to get that chance and if they should happen to make the kick, they win $1000.00 cash. At the end of the season the weekly winners go into a pot for a chance to watch the first playoff game from the field. If no playoffs, they are the week 1 Ruler of the Jungle the following season.

Raffle tickets cost $50 each or 3 for $125.

I’d cough up cash just to be on the field, let alone, kick for a shot at $1000.

• Like 1