2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

Quote Tweet
Lucas
@Skoobys_
 · 13m
Replying to @JoeGoodberry and @EricB0709
So if Linderbaum is gone at 31, who are you begging the bengals to take?

Goodberry
@JoeGoodberry
·
9m
I want somebody that checks all the boxes.
Tape: ✓
Production: ✓
Testing: ✓
Health: ✓

Goodberry
@JoeGoodberry
Players that do that in that range:

George Karlaftis, Zion Johnson, Travis Jones, Logan Hall, Kaiir Elam, Kyler Gordon, Dax Hill, Lewis Cine, Arnold Ebiketie

that's a solid list from Goodberry. I am more down on Gordon than he is, but otherwise, generally co-sign that list. 

• Like 1

There are more than a couple players on that list from Prisco that I like as well. Him coming in on Thornton now and calling him a second round steal is being late to the party. It wasn’t that long ago he was considered a later round pick at best. Love that guy.

By many accounts, his captain is too stupid to learn the playbook. 

Talk about a haul… My latest effort in TDN:

1. Tyler Linderbaum, Center
2. Logan Hall, DT/DE
3. Troy Anderson, LB
4. Coby Bryant, CB
5. Matt Araiza, P
6. Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB
7. Tyquan Thornton, WR
7. Leon O’Neal Jr., S

Not that I believe there’s any chance in hell that would happen, but talk about addressing needs !!

Rank is a goof ball when it comes to the Bengals.  Seems like he likes to troll.    RB at 31 is about as goofy as Center, IMO.   You'd have to shuffle roles etc. just like IOL at a time that you will be rolling out Eli Apple as a starter backed up by UDFA and losing 7 sacks off the Dline.    Just not a good plan to win the AFC, IMO.

17 hours ago, Stripes said:

Adam Rank’s “what teams SHOULD do” first round mock:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-every-team-should-do-in-round-1

Running back. First round. Running back. That’s good comedy.

Obviously they shouldn’t take a back at 31 this year. That said…I don’t disagree with his logic regarding the position. If paying QBs and WR1’s nine-figure contracts with massive guarantees is the new normal (and it looks like its headed that way) something on offense has to give. Drafting a back, then letting him walk at the end of his rookie deal and drafting a new guy, later, rinse, repeat is probably the future of the position.

Mixon is under contract through the 2024 season, but to me it depends on how things go over the next two seasons.
Prior to the 2024 season, if Mixon derails, the Bengals net 10 million that year in cutting ties.
While I don't want that to happen, I'm thinking the Burrow and Chase contracts may dictate where the team goes from there.

I'm one of those people that still greatly values the RB position, but even that has it's limitations.

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

do you think we can trade for Mayfield as our backup? 

we could give them our r2 pick

Please don’t recycle this nonsense here. This is my sane board.

I was tempted by the WRs and the possibility of one of the top ones falling.  Someone like Burks.  

But as I look deeper into it.  They have a scary situation along the Dline and CB.    The number of snaps Hendrickson and Hubbard played in the regular season then add extra 4 games while currently being down 700 snaps without Larry O.  has to be a focus of the draft, IMO.  Without some kinda of significant upgrade in rotation, I can't really see a repeat of the same performance as their Superbowl run.   Look at the current depth chart,  I believe they are actually 1 player down from their typical cut down day roster number at DT.   Between DT and DE you can make strong case of needing 2/3 to build a better Dline rotation.  I know they get the preseaon wonder pass rusher DE back. 

CB, IMO, is almost equally as concerning.  Eli and Flowers gave them quality play.  It is eye opening those guys go on the market and come back on 1 year deals.  Good for Bengals but that is a risk for sure and statement of the actual quality or lack they maybe counting on.   Factor in 5th and 6th CBs are UDFA and they will enter training camp with spots 3-6 a notch above street FAs.   There is another case of needing some bodies.  1/2/3 maybe.

Luckily there are still options of decent vets on the FA market.   I assume those guys are going to hold out until draft weekend or past and see if they get an uptick in interest as team's look to fill spots they don't fill in the draft.

I'd almost like a trade down to see if they could pick up an extra top 100-150 pick. 

I again think there could be a multitude of positions they could consider at #31 with CB and DT certainly a top 3 priority.

I think anyone would at least consider a trade down and would not surprise me in the least when considering the overall depth of talent in this draft.
While I don't like the thought of giving up the 5th year option on a player, this is a year to have extra mid round picks.

Then again, since I do view this draft as having a plethora of talent, I think rounds 1-3 could all be viewed as starters depending on who they pick.
That doesn't mean they will start this year, but give them the flexibility to move on from those 1 year deals in 2023.
Of course there are still guys out there that could fill a hole or provide depth.  Ogunjobi probably isn't out of the mix at this point.

I'm just at a point where we will have to see in a week and a half.  Who's there when they go on the clock will obvious determine their path.
What I won't be doing is absolutely advocating for any one position or player.

Goodberry
@JoeGoodberry
·
3h
Using consensus draft rankings and looking between 21-41 for a range of prospects, how I'd grade the potential picks at 31 are...

A: Linderbaum, Zion Johnson & McDuffie

B: Elam, Hill, Hall, Green, Ebikete, Cine,

C: Booth, Wyatt, McCreary, Dean, Mafe, Raimann

D: Ojabo

IMO, for players vaguely in range or often projected:

A+ - J. Johnson

A - Linderbaum, Wyatt, Elam, Karlaftis, McDuffie

B - Booth, Z. Johnson, Raimann, L. Hall

C - Green, Hill, Gordon, Cine, Ebiketie

D - Brisker, Mafe, Pitre, Penning, T. Jones, Dean, [insert WR]

F+ - Ojabo, McBride

F - B. Hall