Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

It wouldn't surprise me if some were put off by the pro day. The guy took a year off and did not look like the same athlete during his workout, that we saw his Sophomore season. That has to scare people since you can't have in person visits and no prospects are allowed to travel

Slater has always had his proponents due to his perceived “plug ‘n’ play” nature. Sewell has been more of an “upside” guy. In Cincy that might not matter as much given the lack of accountability in the FO, but for an organization where a high pick busting can get a coach and/or GM fired, Slater being the (allegedly) safer pick has to factor into calculations.

• Like 1

Tony Pike hates the idea of passing on Jamarr Chase bc of the 3 wide sets Zac likes to run (2nd most in the league last year)

It means he believes in Jonah Williams and adding Oline help later in the draft.  I see his point but still favor the trade down.  Also, point made today on Cincy360 that the Bengals FO will likely not drop the change required to keep Sewell or Pitts on a 2nd contract but could get a discount on Chase possibly with a team friendly deal with his pal Joe B. On the team longterm.

i still like a trade down.  Nothing against Chase or Sewell.  

• Like 1

I can't think of a tackle the Bengals drafted in the 1st or 2nd round that ended up starting with them; that didn't get at least 1 multi year deal past their rookie contract.

Willie, Levi, Whit, Smith all got deals.   I think even Stacy Andrews got a deal after getting tagged, maybe?   Even Anthony Collins got a deal, I think.

Pike or Cincy 360; whoever made that point is off base historically speaking.   They'll pay tackles.

Guards.  I agree.  They should never draft a guard in the top 50 again.  They'll won't drop the money into the player IF they get the pick right.   Happened twice Steinberg and Zeitler.

Billy Price might break that streak because he'd be a bargain prove it player.

Which is concerning for this draft because there is likely a starting guard starring them in the face at 38.  

I know we look to history to inform the future.  But their refusal to give a guard a second deal might be a thing of the past.  Decision makers might not be the same next time.  Even if it's the same decision maker, maybe the refusal to pay last time, and the difficulty getting a decent replacement afterwards, prompts them to pay this time.  Most businesses have to keep things somewhat fluid.  Circumstances change, variables come into play.  

3 minutes ago, COB said:

I know we look to history to inform the future.  But their refusal to give a guard a second deal might be a thing of the past.  Decision makers might not be the same next time.  Even if it's the same decision maker, maybe the refusal to pay last time, and the difficulty getting a decent replacement afterwards, prompts them to pay this time.  Most businesses have to keep things somewhat fluid.  Circumstances change, variables come into play.  

And Quentin Nelson has clued in a bunch of teams about how important a Guard really can be.....if it is the right Guard.

15 hours ago, COB said:

They had a chance to sign a guy they drafted in the first round.  Started from day 1 for them.  Rumored to offer 7-9 mil a year deal and watched him become the highest paid guard.   3 years later they determined there was better value and watched him sign with a rival for $7 mil a year.  WTF?

That's really my only hold back to getting "OL in the 2nd round" plan.   The immediate need is guard.  The probability of seeing a starting quality guard is high at 38.   But in reality the sweet spot for the Bengals is grabbing a Tackle that can fill guard spot for a year maybe two then kicking out.

Leatherwood and Dickerson worry me because recent Alabama draft picks seem to need a red shirt year.    So you don't fill the need.  Lose one year of 4 and then if the player is what you scouted him to be....you'll let him go because "guards too expensive"

If you bought into Malik Wright having sources at all during the FA period (and he did keep nailing certain things), then the LockedOn pod that just dropped w/ Jake and James w/ him as a guest will be highly interesting w/ regard to the draft. Highly. 

9 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Poll:

Suppose Atlanta takes Chase at #4. Nobody is biting if/when the Bengals try to trade down. What is your preference?

1) Sewell

2) Pitts

3) Someone else

Pitts without a second thought.  He is the second best prospect in this draft....that said ATL is not taking Chase

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Poll:

Suppose Atlanta takes Chase at #4. Nobody is biting if/when the Bengals try to trade down. What is your preference?

1) Sewell

2) Pitts

3) Someone else

Sewell. 

in this fashion I dont have to worry if Leatherwood, Humphrey, Jenkins, Cosmi, or Darrisaw (per DJ) are still available at 38

and If I dont like any of the receivers at 38, I go with one of those guys and double dip OL 

Hopefully, that doesnt work out like the magical duo of Oogie and Fisher

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TJJackson said:

Hopefully, that doesnt work out like the magical duo of Oogie and Fisher

As miserably as that pair turned out, it remains my immediate answer to anyone that tries to say the Bengals haven't tried to restore the offensive line post-Whitworth.

8 hours ago, Stripes said:

Poll:

1) Sewell

2) Pitts

3) Someone else

I would take Pitts over Chase anyway.    I think he fits Burrow's strengths.  Major weapon.

I would take Slater over Sewell.    Those would be my top 2 targets in this scenario.

11 hours ago, Stripes said:

Poll:

1) Sewell

2) Pitts

3) Someone else

Sewell.  I know his pro day didn’t impress.  I don’t care.  Every level he’s played - he just plain dominates.

One other point on Sewell.  Chase’s measurable, his tangibles, shine through.  He’s awesome.  I’m not sure o-linemen are quite as transparent when it comes to skill tests and measurables.  There is so much that goes on for offensive lineman that depends on things you can’t really measure.  Everything takes place in a little confined area, with their whole body involved.  Receivers you can time their speed and it really matters, it’s telling.  

I’m just making the point that what Sewell has put on tape is great, there’s nothing in his exhibition day that says he won’t continue that.  Also - receivers at the combine and pro day can really show what they can do.  Full speed routes with a db in their face and a good arm throwing it to them.  They don’t put pads on linemen and have them go full contact live reps against elite pass rushers, though I wish they did!

13 hours ago, Stripes said:

Poll:

1) Sewell

2) Pitts

3) Someone else

I would take Pitts, but if you believe Wright on the pod mem mentioned, there is approximately 0% chance of the Bengals doing the same. They don’t doubt his talent but don’t value the position highly enough to spend the fifth pick on a TE. Which is...completely believable, unfortunately.