General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I like them getting a quality FA

but that quality FA needed to be a passblocking OL or a cover LB

I guess this meanings the Billings experiment is done?

Dline sucked against run.  This is a tremendous sign. 

Quite unexpected really. 

13 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I hope Reader helps improve things. He’s only missed 3 games in all his seasons with the Texans. Don’t know if he’s the “solution” however.

Trae Waynes is intriguing but he’s fallen short of expectations being the 9th overall selection. Maybe a change of scenery does him well.

At least they're taking a shot for once. For years they’ve decided risking big bucks on one or two guys who MIGHT make a difference was inferior to spending the same money on 4-5 guys who had no chance of mattering. I won’t complain if they are finally getting a clue.

48 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

The Bengals have retained CBS sports line’s 5th, 33rd, and 37th best Free Agents.

Yes, AJ was no. 5. 

DJ was coming off his best season.

Wayans - solid starter. 

Outstanding job in FA. 

While I won’t complain, I to would have liked to see a LB or O-lineman in there. They didn’t want to match Jacksonville’s offer to Schobert but gave about the same to Reader. I would have preferred Schobert if I was picking.

Not that Reader won’t be solid, just saying...

Dalton has one year left on a deal that makes him affordable, if he plays well he’s a bargain.  The one year thing is attractive, the team that gets him can evaluate him like it’s a prove it year, then sign him or move on.  Very attractive contract situation.

Dre, I don’t know that much about his deal.  

6 hours ago, Stripes said:

Not impressed with early developments.

I am. Reader alone would have been sufficient to qualify as a big get, not just for the Bengals but for any team. Wayans is to me somewhat less impressive because he’s more or less Dre. BUT if they are planning to trade or release Kirkpatrick (which appears to be the case) at least this slots in a replacement level vet, versus the usual approach of a draftee or scrub.

Hugely impressed myself. And then there’s this - by actually addressing needs in FA with legit talent - it helps focus the draft. 

did another mock on TDN - their predictive board gets interesting now that players are landing on teams and it shifts the "team needs" around a bit. Doing the picking for the Bengals I landed (after Burrow) - OT Josh Jones at 33 and Malik Harrison at 65. I then ran another one and got LB Murray at 33 and OT Isaiah Wilson at 65.

At the moment, the overall board is falling fairly flush for addressing line and LB at 33 and 65. I skipped looking at CB and DL based on the signings, figuring the high round picks won't be aimed that way now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Who ??  Ok, I know who Miller is.
I just don't care that he's getting released. 
Considering how much of a clusterfuck our o-line is, that's quite pathetic when you can't stick.

Theory is they wouldn’t cut him if they weren’t signing someone so we’ll see.

23 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Theory is they wouldn’t cut him if they weren’t signing someone so we’ll see.

Yeah I can only assume they are planning on adding someone in his place (thank God) , now if only they could replace/upgrade Hart and the other G position on top of that....