General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Mixon is terrible at pass protection, not to mention seems to get hurt every year. Gio always came in and did a fantastic job. They should have used him more then just third downs, he deserved more touches. He was better out of the backfield catching and running. Damn this just sucks really liked him. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

They now have one of the slowest backfields I've ever seen in the NFL.  I hope they plan on bringing in some speed/quickness back there.  Mixon will not last long in this league with his running style, I don't think  His decline is already starting to show IMO (but with some good blocking he's obviously going to be effective if he's healthy regardless).  

In fact I've never seen an offense that needed downfield speed like this one does before.  They have their work cut out for them in that area. 

Err..  Mixon ran a 4.46 / 40 at his combine, he is both fast and agile and far from being one of the slowest in the league,  I will say it again the Bengals have not had an outside deep threat since Marvin Jones left and that allows defenses to key on the LOS.  Mixon has been fighting 8 men boxes since he got here.  He may not have Gio's shiftiness but I believe you are going to see marked improvement with Joe this season provided we can bring in a deep threat.  Not that Chase is a panacea but you will be surprised at how much that will transform this offense IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

They now have one of the slowest backfields I've ever seen in the NFL.  I hope they plan on bringing in some speed/quickness back there.  Mixon will not last long in this league with his running style, I don't think  His decline is already starting to show IMO (but with some good blocking he's obviously going to be effective if he's healthy regardless).  

In fact I've never seen an offense that needed downfield speed like this one does before.  They have their work cut out for them in that area. 

I think that if we’re looking for signs that the Bengals are going to go WR or TE (so Chase or Pitts) at 5 and not OL, Gio’s release can be read as one. Between AJ and Gio, a quarter of the team’s offensive production from last year is gone and so far they’ve done nothing to replace it. They did flirt with Golliday so it seems they’re aware of the issue, but again they didn’t go all out which also suggests they’ll look for answers in the draft.

But yeah, the O now centers on three guys coming off significant injuries (Burrow, Uzomah and Mixon) and a couple wideouts who are quite good, but who also don’t exactly keep opposing DCs up at night. Lots of work to do.

22 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I think that if we’re looking for signs that the Bengals are going to go WR or TE (so Chase or Pitts) at 5 and not OL, Gio’s release can be read as one. Between AJ and Gio, a quarter of the team’s offensive production from last year is gone and so far they’ve done nothing to replace it. They did flirt with Golliday so it seems they’re aware of the issue, but again they didn’t go all out which also suggests they’ll look for answers in the draft.

But yeah, the O now centers on three guys coming off significant injuries (Burrow, Uzomah and Mixon) and a couple wideouts who are quite good, but who also don’t exactly keep opposing DCs up at night. Lots of work to do.

Also they have now successfully de-marvin'ed the entire roster.

I really wouldn't call the backfield slow when Mixon (if healthy) get majority of touches and he's had plenty of gash runs/receptions.

However, teams didn't defend them using a loaded box last year.  Quite the opposite as coverage was more likely to be flooded. 

Gio will be missed.  The fact he asked for his release when I guess they were trying to get a lower number shows they thought he could have added something but not at that cap hit.

RBs aren't hard to find but Mixon's injury issues are a concern with this move.

Oh I know and Uzomah was a Marvin draft pick as well but Bernard was the last of the "Marvin Guys", guys that were part of the 2012-2015 teams that had completely bought into the Marvin-way.

BTW Anthony Miller is on the trading block, he would be a great addition to this team, at a reasonable price of course.

58 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I really wouldn't call the backfield slow when Mixon (if healthy) get majority of touches and he's had plenty of gash runs/receptions.

However, teams didn't defend them using a loaded box last year.  Quite the opposite as coverage was more likely to be flooded. 

Gio will be missed.  The fact he asked for his release when I guess they were trying to get a lower number shows they thought he could have added something but not at that cap hit.

RBs aren't hard to find but Mixon's injury issues are a concern with this move.

The cap hit argument is kind of interesting. Bengals Twitter seems convinced that the team was spending too much on RBs so cutting Gio was necessary because...well, I don’t really know, maybe there’s been a rule change and if you spend more than X on RBs all your opponents get a free 7 points to start the game or something?

But even assuming your top 2 RBs having a combined $13 million cap hit is too much, you know what the hit is for our top 2 RBs next year? $13 million! So I guess Perine shouldn’t make any long term real estate investments in Cincy...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, membengal said:

He asked for his release and the team granted his request. That's doing right by a valued member of your organization. 

not at all, given that he asked for his release only after they asked him to take a pay cut. 

just a staggeringly stupid move by the nfls worst front office

2 hours ago, GapControl said:

Why you want to cut the best pass protecting , most versatile running back you have, I do not know.  Hot draft prospect got their hearts?  Going to make a move to spend more money on another group?  

I saw a moronic statement from Amphar about running backs being easy to find.....no, you moron, a Gio ****is**** hard to find.  really fucking hard.  a running back who works just as hard at pass blocking as running or catching, which is all most running backs seem to are about

There was NO good reason to let Gio go. 

None whatsoever.

I am furious

Josh Dubow on Twitter just noted that Gio leaving completes the Palmer trade.  We got 8 years out of Gio and 8 years out of Kirkpatrick.  Really strong move by Mike Brown there.  Took a player who wasn’t going to play for us anyway, and instead of cutting him, he really made an amazing move.  I bash Mike but have to give him credit on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, COB said:

Josh Dubow on Twitter just noted that Gio leaving completes the Palmer trade.  We got 8 years out of Gio and 8 years out of Kirkpatrick.  Really strong move by Mike Brown there.  Took a player who wasn’t going to play for us anyway, and instead of cutting him, he really made an amazing move.  I bash Mike but have to give him credit on this one.

Good point. I’d say that’s pretty good return. We lose a C-patch on the jersey but seems like solid captain replacements are ready to go. One thing, ZT and Co seem to be using college/pro captain status as a criterion for draft and free agency. 

19 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Joe Burrow's 2019 TE is now available as a free agent

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31223638/washington-football-team-releases-te-thaddeus-moss-son-hall-famer-randy-moss

I would say he's worth a plane ticket and a few meals for a looksee, myself

Hmmm, who could give them the ultimate intel on Thaddeus? Ha 

Seems like he wanted to be here last year but there was a timing issue or something? 

• Like 1

we should on on the phone to him now

we could use depth at TE with Cethan Carter leaving and Uzomah questionable for 2021, and the Burrow connection cant hurt. 

I would think he's at bare minimum at least good enough to make the practice squad, based on what I read of him prior to last year's draft