General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

C'mon now, denying there isn't a consistent history of unhappy franchise/star players forcing the Bengals' hand since the 90's is just wrong.  It happens here more than anywhere else, I'm willing to bet some good $$ on that.

As for this season and Dunlap - the treatment at least seems to be coming from the coaching staff vs ownership any ways, so I get that, but it's a trend with franchise greats here and it's sad really.  I'm not sure why you get so upset over this stuff, just let it go.

It happens EVERYWHERE. And has for decades. Montana, Farve, Emmit Smith, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Rob Gronkowski,  Dez Bryant, ETC ETC ETC --- even the all-time greats most often end up elsewhere (and pissed about it). 

This is how things end in the NFL far more often than not. To pretend this is somehow worse here is insane self-loathing behavior. 

2 hours ago, COB said:

No one is going to trade for John Ross.  That’s a fantasy.  He’s making first round contract money and at best he provides unreliable depth, and can’t play special teams.  Just no way.  

Ross is only making $2.8 million this year. I doubt money is an issue. Bigger problem is he’s in the last year of his deal. What do you trade for a half season rental? Might get like a 7th or just a conditional pick if he gets resigned. At this point I’ll take it.

34 minutes ago, membengal said:

It happens EVERYWHERE. And has for decades. Montana, Farve, Emmit Smith, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Rob Gronkowski,  Dez Bryant, ETC ETC ETC --- even the all-time greats most often end up elsewhere (and pissed about it). 

This is how things end in the NFL far more often than not. To pretend this is somehow worse here is insane self-loathing behavior. 

Where am I saying it doesn't happen elsewhere? You named 7 players from 6 different teams over a 30 year period.  I'll give you 6 Bengals' star/franchise players since MB took over alone, that left here on publicly bad terms, trashed ownership/coaches, threw their uni into the crowd, boycotted coaches, demanded to be traded in their primes etc.., The Bengals' lead the league in this stuff under MB.  It improved when they started operating at a competence level under Marvin, who also treated players a certain way and was prob largely responsible for the improvement.  I'm not seeing much of that under Taylor so far, but we'll see how that turns out I guess. 

Ross - yikes.  What an attitude for a guy who's done nothing here and can't simply bide his time until he can sign on elsewhere like a pro.  I believe Marvin called out his attitude/work ethic early on if I remember correctly as well.  I wonder if the difference is that Marvin would actually talk to the guys in private like a man, so it isn't handled in public.

Elm0AgsWoAIcGwB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Lap always had a good description.  There will always be a group that believes the coaches can do no wrong in the lockeroom.  A group that believe the exact opposite (usually guys that don’t have the role they think they should) 

The majority are middle of the road.  Winning/Losing sways that middle. 

• Like 1

I always wanted to see Ross in this offense as a guy doing end around and other gadget stuff, while stretching the field. He has always came up hurt or when his time was called he was dropping passes. I have no clue if the guy will succeed I other offenses or not but I always thought if he could it would be under Taylor. Still would like to see him in the screen game.

There was a rumor being said that other teams are wanting him but the bengals would rather see him walk then be traded. This is so stupid if something wants to give you something for him and they are not going to use him then why not trade him? I don’t get it

I am loving the addition of DE Takkarist McKinley and his 4.59 speed this week

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/11/11/21561461/takkarist-mckinley-takk-bengals-news-brian-allen-nfl-covid-19-list

I see him at worst as a good backup, but honestly, his PFF rating this year is better than most of our defenders so he has a chance of starting, especiallly if we can sign him for next year and dont then use a high draft pick on a DE

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-takkarist-mckinley-edge-ucla

In 2008 (a crappy season) the team started making similar moves in-season picking up Cedric Benson and a couple others. 

Some worked and some didn’t but they started filling holes to make it possible for division run in 2009. 

Hopefully these moves fill holes for next year’s team.  

Disgruntled, some injury issues and production wasn’t there (for a first round pick, at least). Assuming he’s healthy — reportedly he’s been battling a groin injury this year — he’s got every incentive to turn it on (if of course there’s anything to turn on). If he has a big last half of the season, he’ll have a shot at a decent FA deal vs. a one-year prove it contract.

the disgruntlement seems to have been the main issue for his departure from Atlanta, so we should quickly see if he is grateful for his second chance or if he is simply not happy to be with any bad team and is a cancer like Dunlap unfortunately became after just a beautiful career here prior to this year

I am very optimistic here

If I am him, I look at the Bengals who are now gifted at the most important position and ergo a a team that may well be in the Superbowl within a year or two.....I want to stay and be a factor on said team

He is a FA at year's end......will be interesting to see if he buys in or goes looking for the biggest money he can get whereever.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh well.

Yea he saw how the bengals played against the Steelers and who coaches this team and ran his head onto a wall. 

So now he failed his physical here, to go somewhere else to pass a physical to start lol. 

Sucks though would have liked to seen if he could do anything here.