2020 Draft

There seems to be two different camps on this board regarding the draft and Joe Burrow. There’s the mindset of trying to build a roster efficiently. Then there’s the mindset of how to best change the culture.

IMO, no amount of draft picks can make up for those players that can literally change the energy of a team. This is the biggest reason I think you take Burrow and spend your efforts on figuring out the rest of the draft. Get your leader. 

• Like 2

Here's another Monday mock - fanspeak - trades on - I did the picking - traded back twice in round 2 and picked up an additional 2nd round pick and a bunch of picks in 4th, 5th and 6th. I would kill for the Bengals to be able to get this kind of extra draft capital. Ended up with 12 selections in this mock...really happy to address DB, OL and WR in this draft with a premium LB still available at top of 3rd round...

1: R1P1
QB JOE BURROW
LSU

2: R2P18
CB NOAH IGBINOGHENE
AUBURN

3: R2P24
CB TREVON DIGGS
ALABAMA

4: R3P1
LB MALIK HARRISON
OHIO STATE

5: R4P1
WR DENZEL MIMS
BAYLOR

6: R4P41
G JONAH JACKSON
OHIO STATE

7: R5P1
OT TREY ADAMS
WASHINGTON

8: R5P17
EDGE ALTON ROBINSON
SYRACUSE

9: R5P20
WR TYLER JOHNSON
MINNESOTA

10: R6P1
S JEREMY CHINN
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

11: R6P17
DL DAVON HAMILTON
OHIO STATE

12: R7P1
OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON
OREGON

• Like 1

13 hours ago, membengal said:

Here's another Monday mock - fanspeak - trades on - I did the picking - traded back twice in round 2 and picked up an additional 2nd round pick and a bunch of picks in 4th, 5th and 6th. I would kill for the Bengals to be able to get this kind of extra draft capital. Ended up with 12 selections in this mock...really happy to address DB, OL and WR in this draft with a premium LB still available at top of 3rd round...

1: R1P1
QB JOE BURROW
LSU

2: R2P18
CB NOAH IGBINOGHENE
AUBURN

3: R2P24
CB TREVON DIGGS
ALABAMA

4: R3P1
LB MALIK HARRISON
OHIO STATE

5: R4P1
WR DENZEL MIMS
BAYLOR

6: R4P41
G JONAH JACKSON
OHIO STATE

7: R5P1
OT TREY ADAMS
WASHINGTON

8: R5P17
EDGE ALTON ROBINSON
SYRACUSE

9: R5P20
WR TYLER JOHNSON
MINNESOTA

10: R6P1
S JEREMY CHINN
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

11: R6P17
DL DAVON HAMILTON
OHIO STATE

12: R7P1
OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON
OREGON

No tackle until the 7th round?  The neighbor’s dog will be in for a good kicking.

Yeah, TJ won’t like it but I selected with Hob’s current comments in mind that they want heavy defense in two and three. I did get trey Adams at top of five - he’s a really good T prospect but only there due to injury flags.

28 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

one of the top draft prognosticators now says Tua is a better pro prospect than Burrows

Note to Mem: you just have to sense the chain yanking here. You just gotta, man

If Tua hadn’t been hurt, I think he’d be right there in the conversation. As is, well, if you stay at 1 you take Burrow and move on. Incredibly bad break for Tua, tho, no doubt about it.

29 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

one of the top draft prognosticators now says Tua is a better pro prospect than Burrows

Not a surprise.       However, I read the prognosticators article and it has the big caveat of what Tua is after his recovery.

If he wasn't injured he'd be considered the better prospect.

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

McShay. And IF Tua had not gotten hurt - it was a discussion to be had. As it stands, it’s Burrow all day every day.

by the way, I would favor Burrow over Tua even if Tua has been healthy.

• Like 1

That's why I am looking forward to Burrow's work outs.   I think a lot of draft pundits accept his historic year in college football and award him deserving of NO. 1 overall.   However they aren't forgiving of him being a lesser prospect from his pre LSU days.

I think he'll throw better than the evaluations from those pre-LSU days.   I think he'll prove to be faster, too.   Essentially his physical traits will be judged to match his last year's film. 

Things are no different in college football than in the NFL, in that players may be more or less successful in different schemes.

It's not like Ohio State had shitty QB's that Burrow was simply lesser than.  They probably ran a scheme that was more suited to their abilities than Burrow.
Once Burrow went to LSU, you could see his progression in that system.  If the Bengals do in fact take him, they have to make sure they are setting him up for success schematically.

It's part of the reason I was hoping the Bengals would grab the LSU o-coordinator that ended up going to Carolina.
Such is life.

Tua ??  Yes, I agree he would have been right in the conversation minus the injury, but that's not where we find ourselves.
Commit to taking Burrow now and simply move on to what else you do in the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I would favor Burrow over Tua even if Tua has been healthy.

Agreed. I generally like Tua, but I don't see any obvious transcendent potential in him like I do with Burrow. That doesn't mean that's how it'll shake out in the end, but we draft for projection.

I think there is almost a 0% chance they spend 33 on a CB...

This pick is highly likely to be OLine or Defensive Front Seven.

The only way I see the pick not being OT, OG, DT, DE, or LB is if one of the high profile WRs drop.

EDIT: This assumes Burrow at 1....if they make a trade all bets are off.

I can see them going CB at 33.

Dennard is a FA now and WJ3 will be after this season. Dre hasn’t exactly set the world on fire and he’s set to make $9.4 million this year with a cap hit over $11 million — versus a dead money hit of $2.8 million.

With Jackson making $9.5 million on his rookie option year and, as mentioned, another $9.4 million going to Dre, it’s tough to see them giving out another $9 million-ish to Darqueze, unless they let Kirkpatrick go, which still opens a spot among the starting CBs.

About all they have on the roster is Phillips, who just missed half the year due to injury, and was feast or famine when he did play.

So yeah, it’s not my ideal choice, but if they get to 33 and the BDPA is a corner, I’ve no issue if they pull the trigger.

The issue is that after the first 3-4 guys which are VERY likely to go in Rd. 1 there just isn't the talent at CB.  We need to beef up our secondary but this should be done in the later rounds because that is where the talent is slotted.  IMHO much better Safety class with high end talent than CB.

• Like 1

Wraith - the CB depth is MUCH better than was initially advertised - I suspect post-combine you will see a number of CBs shoot up the big boards. They can get one at 33 or, if I have my way, trade back a bit in the second and get one while picking up an extra 3rd round pick. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

regarding: "I can see them going CB at 33. "

You take that back Joisey, you take it back NOW :-)

I can barely stomach the prospect of taking a linebacker at r2 or r3, much less a db

Hey, like I said, it’s not ideal. And if a good offensive lineman falls, I’m snapping him up if I’m the Bengals. That’s how they got Steinbach all those years ago and that worked out pretty well. 

But if it’s not there, it’s not there. I just ran a three round mock earlier today and when it hit 33 the top three guys were a couple RBs and Patrick Queen. The nearest OL was ranked at 40. So welcome to our new LB. Then I ended up doubling up with S/LB tweener Kyle Duggar in the third, so I guess you really hate me now!

CB would not surprise me, but only if there is simply no other player at a position of greater need without reaching and they present as the BPA.

I would prefer they wait even longer to go after the CB position honestly, but either way, I expect the position to be taken at some point.

Short guy, Lavonte Taylor from Florida State would be my ideal past round 3.

I still want a LB to fall into the 2nd round.  Our linebackers are the fucking worst.
That and there is little FA help at that position.