Jump to content
TJJackson

Time to begin the rebuild

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

Are we really looking to just be competitive? I'm kind of over that. We just had that with Dalton.

"Welllll...if we just get him the right pieces. If we can just improve the O line."

Screw that. This team needs a stud that can carry this team on his back when things don't go perfect or the roster isn't injury proof like 2015.

I want this team to roll the dice to try and get a QB that could eventually be the best QB in the NFL. That's how this game is won. That's how you create buzz and change culture. That's how you attract better FA's. This is a QB driven league.

Dude.  Dalton was a 3 star prospect.

You are looking at guys that were 5 stars, proved it in college and would just be 2nd rounders as a matter of circumstance. 

I don’t get the thinking those guys can’t ever be the best in the NFL because of 2nd round. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wraith said:
 
  • QB is the riskiest position to pick high - too many examples to list

That used to be the case. These days, with the rookie salary system, it isn’t. If you miss on a top QB, you can just try again. It doesn’t cripple the organization the way it used to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give a QB first pick, and build the o-line!

The skill group of this team is not terrible at all.

The defense will still suck, hopefully add a couple of guys, but hopefully the offense can learn to score points!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bummer we are this terrible in 2019 instead of 2020.  Trevor Lawrence looks like the best QB prospect since Luck.

There's still time to suck again!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stripes said:

It's a bummer we are this terrible in 2019 instead of 2020.  Trevor Lawrence looks like the best QB prospect since Luck.

There's still time to suck again!

And we will!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Then you are  blind or stubborn.    Quick Illustration on how stupid that thinking is.     Needs are glaring all over the place for the Bengals.   QB, OT, Pass Rush.   You name it they need it.    Just as an example:

Chase Young has demonstrated enough in the college game to have people projecting him as the top overall pick.     He was 5 star recruit, offer sheet from everyone.    

Both Jake Fromm and Jacob Eason were 5 star, offer sheet from everyone.  Georgia landed both in back to back classes.  Both started for Georgia.  Eason lost the job because of Injury and transferred.  Eason was the number 1 QB of his class.   Fromm was the 3rd in his class.     Both have demonstrated enough at the college game to have 1st or 2nd round draft grades currently.    Both coming out were rated higher than Tua and Burrow.

Why is that significant?  

Because just these 2 QBs have always been rated higher than all 3 first round QBs last year.   Murray would have gone high to the Cardinals because of the head coach.    Very good chance both Eason and Fromm would have gone before Daniel Jones and DeWayne Haskins.

That is the talent that could be there in the 2nd and the only reason why they are 2nd round is because it's a loaded class.    Don't get this mixed up; high school and college are not the NFL it's just an example of how deep the QB draft class is.   It's become a perfect storm of highly recruited and high performance QBs from different highschool classes meshing into one NFL draft class because a lot of them transferred around      

And you are a dumb fuck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of speculation, assumptions, and opinions on this. Most often there are no solid consensus #1 QBs that should go overall number 1 or 2 in the draft.

But...let's assume that Burrow or Tua is the consensus #1 or #2 pick...

...and the Bengals have on their draft list 1. Burrow 2. Tua 3. Herbert 4. Fromm 5. Eason 6. Hurts

So with this we have the overall valued talent of Burrow and Tua. And the Bengals have them at the top of their list. And the Bengals are drafting at the top of the board. And the Bengals biggest need is QB. And the most important position in the NFL is QB...

How can you not take your QB here?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching this CLE vs. PIT game tonight.

You can't tell me that the Steelers aren't going to be looking at this deep QB draft class.

Along with Miami, LA Chargers, Denver, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Carolina, New Orleans, and possibly New England and Atlanta.

There's a good amount of teams, 11 of them that would love to draft a QB in the 1st, or trade back into the 1st or 2nd round and grab one of the top 6 QBs in this talented class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st if you are convinced your guy is a franchise QB,  then take him no problem. 

2nd this notion that they out of their fucking minds with a 2nd round QB is dumb as fuck.   There’s a good chance the QB at 33 is a first rounder the previous or following year. 

3rd Chase Young is damn good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A more plausible scenario in some ways is that the Bengals trade back a few slots. Get their QB in the first round plus more picks to add. However still not getting Chase Young as he will go in the first 3 picks. 
 

But if I had to bet they will go QB with their first overall pick, as they should. To take a QB in the 2nd, and have him be a stud QB, is to leave a lot of factors to have to play out to their draft plan.

All of the top performing QBs in history taken in the 2nd or lower were fortunate occurrences. Brees, Brady, Wilson, etc would all go in the first round if they were to be drafted today. 
 

So it makes more sense you take the factor of chance out of the equation as much as possible. Simply because you can’t intentionally target “your QB” in the later rounds without having to plan on having him fall. If you know your QB is there in the first, you take him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why not trading AJ for another first round selection was such a disaster.  This issue could be solved with more picks in this draft.

Of course I have zero faith in the Bengals front office to do something with those picks, so....we are screwed until Brown hires a general manager from outside the organization and ponies up for a professional scouting Dept.  Until that happens this is all moot.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

This is why not trading AJ for another first round selection was such a disaster.  This issue could be solved with more picks in this draft.

Of course I have zero faith in the Bengals front office to do something with those picks, so....we are screwed until Brown hires a general manager from outside the organization and ponies up for a professional scouting Dept.  Until that happens this is all moot.

Great point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wraith said:

This is why not trading AJ for another first round selection was such a disaster.  This issue could be solved with more picks in this draft.

Of course I have zero faith in the Bengals front office to do something with those picks, so....we are screwed until Brown hires a general manager from outside the organization and ponies up for a professional scouting Dept.  Until that happens this is all moot.

 AJ Green’s ankle is swelling up after practice.    He hasn’t practiced since.

Still doing rehab work outs.

Doubtful they could have traded him and/or trade gets voided. 

Might be one the reasons they shut trade speculation down early concerning AJ.  It would be bad news for AJ is another team fails him in a physical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

A more plausible scenario in some ways is that the Bengals trade back a few slots. Get their QB in the first round plus more picks to add. However still not getting Chase Young as he will go in the first 3 picks. 
 

But if I had to bet they will go QB with their first overall pick, as they should. To take a QB in the 2nd, and have him be a stud QB, is to leave a lot of factors to have to play out to their draft plan.

All of the top performing QBs in history taken in the 2nd or lower were fortunate occurrences. Brees, Brady, Wilson, etc would all go in the first round if they were to be drafted today. 
 

So it makes more sense you take the factor of chance out of the equation as much as possible. Simply because you can’t intentionally target “your QB” in the later rounds without having to plan on having him fall. If you know your QB is there in the first, you take him. 

If things play out the way they look now.

They still got to poke and prod these players a 100 times.

If your drafting 1st you’ve got to leave with Chase Young, Tua, or Burrow. 

Based on the way things look right now.  I’m sure there will be risers and fallers that will change the perception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Give a QB first pick, and build the o-line!

The skill group of this team is not terrible at all.

The defense will still suck, hopefully add a couple of guys, but hopefully the offense can learn to score points!

this....all of this

that said, i think it is far more likely they will select a Ryan Leaf with that first pick than a Peyton Manning

because Bengals *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap, now it looks like Tua is wrecked.  Rumors are that his hip injury is quite serious and will require surgery.  Better love Joe Burrow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh oh.  I'm not sold on Burrow as NFL elite though.  My guess is Bengals' draft an injured Tua and he sits out his rookie year, and eventually never ends-up playing again for the Bengals.  Because that's how things work here it seems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

 

LOL! Mediocre Melvin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, COB said:

Our compete implosion this year has only driven Marvin’s stock higher. 

Yup. The idea that Marvin is a bad coach because he built not one but two playoff rosters in the NFL’s dead zone has always struck me as nuts. And observers are getting a crash course in exactly why this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×