2nd Round: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

ArmyBengal

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were quite a few guys saying the Dalton was the most ready QB coming out this year. Look we have no idea what Dalton will be, but i find it unfair to judge him when he has never taken a snap yet. I love this pick for the sheer fact that its Marvin and Grudens guy. They got the player they wanted the guy who they think will take them places, so im happy

Watched the draft show on ESPN with the college guys last night while up with the little one and a nice blurb came out of one of their mouths.

Dalton's college career completion percentage against ranked teams is 70%.

70 freakin percent ?? Wow. Nice that he shows up for the big games as well and doesn't crumble under pressure.

trent dilfer also made a very good point about andy. the fact that dalton carried the weight of the whole tcu program on his shoulders last season. with just about every one wanting them to lose and hearing all year his team was overrated. all dalton did was go undefeated and beat a very stout badgers team in the rose bowl. that is composer that is handling pressure and dalton excelled at it.

This was a desperation pick.

Whatever else it may have been, it was certainly not that.

This is the guy Gruden wanted, to the point that Dalton related a story about Gruden joking that he should "throw a few in the dirt" at the combine so he would fall to Cincy.

He may bust. The draft is a crapshoot. But the guy who has to cook the meal wanted this particular bag of groceries.

So all right. He got his way. Let's see what happens.

This.

I have said all along I'm against a QB in the 2nd round. It almost never works out. But it just makes sence to give Gruden the guy he wants. I'll give the guy a shot.

He's accurate, a good decision maker, and intelligent. I think those are the 3 most important character traits for a QB... so while he wouldn't have been my pick - I'm happy enough.

Seconded. Or thirded. (I'm not sure who I agree with more.)

I may not love Andy Dalton but Gruden clearly does.....and that's good enough for me.

And I absolutely love the choice of #14.

We ARE moving on.

Now go find a veteran/stopgap QB that allows the team to cast off RunPee as if he were no more than a flaky patch of dead skin.

Watched the draft show on ESPN with the college guys last night while up with the little one and a nice blurb came out of one of their mouths.

Dalton's college career completion percentage against ranked teams is 70%.

70 freakin percent ?? Wow. Nice that he shows up for the big games as well and doesn't crumble under pressure.

trent dilfer also made a very good point about andy. the fact that dalton carried the weight of the whole tcu program on his shoulders last season. with just about every one wanting them to lose and hearing all year his team was overrated. all dalton did was go undefeated and beat a very stout badgers team in the rose bowl. that is composer that is handling pressure and dalton excelled at it.

+1

Trent want's Andy's d**k too but he makes a great point. You can teach a will to win and composure.

from PFW:

"When we interviewed (TCU QB) Andy Dalton, he said the accomplishment he was most proud of was gathering 750 kids to listen to his ministry every week, not winning the Rose Bowl. When we asked him how he is going to handle guys on the field when the bullets start flying and his teammates are yelling at him, he said the first thing he is going to do is pray about it. I couldn't help but think, this might be the next Danny Wuerffel. If you are talking about (Dalton) going to be your starter, I would be nervous."

from PFW:

"When we interviewed (TCU QB) Andy Dalton, he said the accomplishment he was most proud of was gathering 750 kids to listen to his ministry every week, not winning the Rose Bowl. When we asked him how he is going to handle guys on the field when the bullets start flying and his teammates are yelling at him, he said the first thing he is going to do is pray about it. I couldn't help but think, this might be the next Danny Wuerffel. If you are talking about (Dalton) going to be your starter, I would be nervous."

His faith makes him a bad quarterback? That is really reaching. Lots of successful quarterbacks in the NFL are christians. If the Patriots had drafted this guy PFW would be singing their praises for picking a high character guy who has two parents, so screw PFW.

from PFW:

His faith makes him a bad quarterback? That is really reaching. Lots of successful quarterbacks in the NFL are christians. If the Patriots had drafted this guy PFW would be singing their praises for picking a high character guy who has two parents, so screw PFW.

Exactly. Kurt Warner was one of the most vocal religious people in NFL history, Reggie White was a pastor, and Troy Polamalu talks about spirituality and religion's role in his life in nearly every interview he does.

Move along. Nothing to see here... except that the Bengals drafted a guy who wants to help people and will stay out of jail. Sorry PFW.

The whole "religious" aspect to that guys story is just stupid. I'm so sick of when the Bengals take a "character risk" people saying, here we go again with the Bengals, but when another team does it, it was a good move for that team. Here we are taking a guy that is high character, smart, and a proven winner and the Bengals can't catch a break ?? That's just insulting.

F*CK YOU PFW, F*CK YOU !!!

I would venture to say Dalton wouldn't call a timeout, take a knee in the middle of the game, and then get back to the players after divine intervention took place either. I'm left to assume, he meant in the grand scheme of things, not at the moment.

Then again, if Dalton can muster up divine intervention in the middle of the game, then we have nothing to worry about.

I don't think the point was faith; I think the point was that Kurt Warner didn't lead team in prayers on third and long.

Last year in 3rd and 10+ situations, Dalton was 12 of 18 for 183 yards, 8 first downs, and a 152.07 passer rating.

If he's been praying on 3rd and long... I say keep it up.

You can read some scripture and then go kick some ass. Has no one seen Pulp Fiction? Somewhere in Ezekiel, something about reigning vengeance or whatever.

As long as he stays to the righteous ass kicking of the old testament, I'm OK with it. Preferably not that touchy-feely new testament stuff, which is not at all suited for the rigors of football.

As long as he stays to the righteous ass kicking of the old testament, I'm OK with it. Preferably not that touchy-feely new testament stuff, which is not at all suited for the rigors of football.

Verily I say unto you, click here, and know that He shall kicketh butt.

Holy crap, blasphemous as all hell.

(shrug)

In my experience if you're not a believer subtle acts of blasphemy can be downright boring. Thus, we tend to go big if only to amuse ourselves.

As for the original point of the thread, I don't think anyone is claiming that people of faith are character risks....although it would serve them right.

Rather, I think the question raised has to do with how easily it might be to relate to someone who wears God on his sleeve, as Dalton appears to do. How many of Andy Dalton's fellow players will refuse to follow his lead if he starts talking about how Jeebus wants us to do this or that. How many other players will deliberatly tune Andy Dalton out the moment he starts waxing poetically about his faith?

I have no hesitation admitting that I would.

I don't think anyone is claiming that people of faith are character risks....although it would serve them right.

Rather, I think the question raised has to do with how easily it might be to relate to someone who wears God on his sleeve, as Dalton appears to do. How many of Andy Dalton's fellow players will refuse to follow his lead if he starts talking about how Jeebus wants us to do this or that. How many other players will deliberatly tune Andy Dalton out the moment he starts waxing poetically about his faith?

I have no hesitation admitting that I would.

Fair enough... but we haven't gotten any indication that he would behave in such a way. He's not Tim Tebow with bible verses instead of eye paint. And in normal interviews, I've not heard him attempt to spiritualize the game of football.

He was asked a question regarding which of his life achevements he was most proud of. And I would wager to say that most professional athletes with good character would say they are more proud of their off the field charity work than their on the field W/L record.

So again... nothing to see here.

Fair enough... but we haven't gotten any indication that he would behave in such a way. He's not Tim Tebow with bible verses instead of eye paint. And in normal interviews, I've not heard him attempt to spiritualize the game of football.

And we're good to go until those things happen, right?

Again, I'm not saying faith is a character flaw and I doubt very much that PFW is attempting to say those things either. Rather, if there's a concern related to Dalton's faith it's probably based upon matters relating to leadership and how easily a person interacts with his coworkers. And yeah, I do believe that each of those things are directly impacted by how openly or privately Andy Dalton expresses his faith.

And we're good to go until those things happen, right?

Again, I'm not saying faith is a character flaw and I doubt very much that PFW is attempting to say those things either. Rather, if there's a concern related to Dalton's faith it's probably based upon matters relating to leadership and how easily a person interacts with his coworkers. And yeah, I do believe that each of those things are directly impacted by how openly or privately Andy Dalton expresses his faith.

I would tend to agree... but for all the negative things that can be said about Tim Tebow, the one thing nobody questions is his leadership. And nobody is more openly religious than that guy... so I guess I would just take those concerns and call them bulls**t.