About time to end the whole Carson Palmer experiment

JoePong

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while it is a bit premature to say that its time to end the "experiment", i'd be lieing if i said i didn't have some concerns with his almost perpetual injuries. here's hoping that a 19 game 4,000 yard 35 td performance makes me feel stupid for even considering it.

but for all of you just to wholesale dismiss these concerns is a bit odd.

while it is a bit premature to say that its time to end the "experiment", i'd be lieing if i said i didn't have some concerns with his almost perpetual injuries. here's hoping that a 19 game 4,000 yard 35 td performance makes me feel stupid for even considering it.

but for all of you just to wholesale dismiss these concerns is a bit odd.

I actually am anot wholesale dismissing these concerns. I'm just not to the Pong point of saying let's dump the guy and start over.

I feel a lot more comfortable going into this season with the way O'Sullivan has looked so far than I did last season with Fitzpatrick. Add in the fact that whichever three running backs we keep are going to be a large improvement over last year's season opening day squad of Perry, Dorsey, Watson, and I'm just not ready to bail the ship yet.

Put me on baraka's side of this, Palmer is getting perilously close to "Mr. Glass" status.

You've got to be able to take a hit in this league at the qb position without immediately missing 2-6 weeks. And, frankly, Palmer has been WAY too easily injured for most of his career, going back to his 2004 full season debut.

It's a huge concern, and, well, Palmer needs to nut up a bit and be the leader this team needs. And that is hard to do when you are constantly out of practice and games.

ETA: As much as we all make fun of and get tired of Roeth's playing up whatever injury of the moment he seems to have, that guy also plays. A lot. Through pain. And takes tons of hits, and keeps on playing.

Getting on the field is a skill.

I think Palmer is lacking in that area.

Wholesale dismissal? What other option is there? I'm not sure if you asked anyone on here about whether drafting a QB in next yr's draft, and not a 5th rounder to act as camp fodder/#3 but a genuine QB prospect early in the draft, that anyone would say it's a totally bonehead suggestion. I myself would support it fully. Carson will be 30 soon enough and that's an age where an until now healthy QB tends to start to feel the wear and tear. So yeah, it would be folly not to look into it considering Carson's injury history.

As for right now, this season, what can be done? (Other than dismissing it out of hand of course).

Move beyond Joe Wrong's flame-throwing troll-worthy baiting, and look at the issue, pidge.

Palmer gets hurt, a LOT. Can they really count on him?

mem,

I see the issue and basically agree with you and the consensus that as good as Palmer is, unless he can get back to showing us out on the field, yeah - time to move on or even time to part company altogether (the Vikings will be looking for another QB next summer again). This yr is important for him. If he goes down with another injury, even if it only keeps him our for a couple of games, surely even Mike and the FO have to take a look at the situation? Hopefully we won't be picking in the top 10 again so we should be able to pick a very decent QB but not for a 300 bujillion dollar contract if Carson sprains his foo foo again this yr and it's clear that planning for the future has to happen sooner than we'd all hope.

Plus actively go after a solid vet QB (minus the health issues) in FA or via a trade in the next off season. As for this yr, right now, nothing can be done, other than crossing our fingers. No big trade will happen, it's just not in the Bengals' forte. Maybe Booty or Tavaris Jackson becomes available and we nab that QB and see what he has. That's as good as it'll get in trying to formulate some sort of future without Carson this season, IMO.

As alluded to before, even if Carson does play the full 16 games (hopefully even more) this yr, he'll be the big 30 in a few weeks. Any QB we bring in for the future will need a couple of yrs, at the very least, to be ready to try and take over so looking at QB options next April will hopefully happen.

A lot? He missed 3.5 games in 2004.

From 2005-2007 he started 48 straight regular season games. He was injured in the first series of 1 playoff game, as I'm sure you remember.

Then he missed 12 games last year.

I'm not sure 15 games in 5 years qualifies as a lot.

That said, I agree it's frustrating to see him get hurt just about the first time he's touched after missing most of last year. And it's sounding more and more like he's questionable to start the season. And I wish we'd hear more "I'm going to play come hell or high water" talk out of him versus this "well, if they say I can play then I'll play" crap we've been getting. Show a little heart, Palmer. If Chad had an ankle injury and said something like that people would be all over him.

ETA: As much as we all make fun of and get tired of Roeth's playing up whatever injury of the moment he seems to have, that guy also plays. A lot. Through pain. And takes tons of hits, and keeps on playing.

Getting on the field is a skill.

I think Palmer is lacking in that area.

I respectively disagree with that statement. Carson Palmer was starting for the Bengals 8 months after a devestating leg injury in the playoffs that a lot of people said would end his career. That would be classified as overcoming long odds and injury and "getting on the field". He went on to pass for over 4,000 yards and win the pro bowl MVP that season..........

With that being said, it is kind of tiresome seeing him hurt again......

I think the major problem is this team always makes every injury sound like there nothing, so the fans thinks it nothing, but yet the player dosnt play for weeks. Last year Carsons elbow was nothing....ended his season, this year the ankle is nothing he will be able to play next week, here it is now 2 weeks still dosnt practice or play, its becoming very annoying. So now i wonder what is really going on here, will he play the last preseason game at all will he be ready to start the season.

I had alot of hope going into this first game against the broncos, but if Palmers out, that hope is slowly dying, and its just making me pi**ed. He will once again have no rythem with the WR, so i guess we can expect the over throws the stuip INTs that hes been throwing and probably some under throws.

From 2005-2007 he started 48 straight regular season games. He was injured in the first series of 1 playoff game, as I'm sure you remember.

That said, I agree it's frustrating to see him get hurt just about the first time he's touched after missing most of last year. And it's sounding more and more like he's questionable to start the season. And I wish we'd hear more "I'm going to play come hell or high water" talk out of him versus this "well, if they say I can play then I'll play" crap we've been getting. Show a little heart, Palmer. If Chad had an ankle injury and said something like that people would be all over him.

3.5 games in 2004 was a quarter of the season, hoosier. And the point in the season when they were trying to make the playoffs...

I am pushing the envelope with some of the rhetoric, I know, but I am def in the he needs to show some heart camp. This team needs him to lead, and that cannot happen from the trainer's part of the field.

I am pushing the envelope with some of the rhetoric, I know, but I am def in the he needs to show some heart camp. This team needs him to lead, and that cannot happen from the trainer's part of the field.

I definitely agree. And to volcom's point: yes, the way the team downplays every injury yet guys are out week after week is BS. If they guy can't go, put his a** on IR or cut him and get someone who can. Mikey has actually shown a willingness to spend money in-season to get injury replacements, it's why he keeps the infamous "injury cushion." IMO the coaching staff dithers too much sometimes.

I'm thinking if it were a regular season game, he'd be starting/playing. They are being excessively cautious.

You are probably right, but we don't know for sure, do we?

And, as hoosier points out, with the fort knox secrecy this staff throws over injuries, for all we know, he's done for the year. They have not exactly built a reservoir of trust with the fanbase on such matters...

And, this is NOT a normal pre-season for Carson. I think he needs game reps after what happened to destroy his 2008. I don't think he can just limp out Week 1 and say "I'm good" and have it be so. That he isn't getting them or going to get them is very frustrating.

Oh sure, if you're into "reality" I suppose this is good reading. You and all your facts sure get in the way of a good message board tempest.

Oh sure, if you're into "reality" I suppose this is good reading. You and all your facts sure get in the way of a good message board tempest.

Hey, I'm just in a fact-y mood today. Want some more? Did you know that in this point in preseason 2008, Chris Perry was doing better than Benson?

OK, not by much. But still...gulp.

(Kazkal, that's your cue!)

Hey, I'm just in a fact-y mood today. Want some more? Did you know that in this point in preseason 2008, Chris Perry was doing better than Benson?

OK, not by much. But still...gulp.

(Kazkal, that's your cue!)

Good numbers crunching in that link.

Did you know that in this point in preseason 2008, Chris Perry was doing better than Benson?

Okay, now you've gone too far! Benson versus preseason Perry? I remember seeing Perry look stiff and fumble a lot. Maybe that was after preseason?

One thing I do remember about last year's preseason, is that the Lions went 4-0 and looked really good in the two games I saw them play. Unbelievable how bad they turned out to me. Matt Millen makes Mike Brown look like Bill Polian.