About time to end the whole Carson Palmer experiment

JoePong

I'm getting pretty sick of this. we need a QB we can count on to actually play every once in a while. You just can't rely on this guy.

OMG!!!!! Somebody ban this Fool.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time to end the whole Joe Wrong experiment

I'm getting pretty sick of this. we need a poster we can count on to actually make sense every once in a while. You just can't rely on this guy.

LoL. Tell like it is T J

I haven't seen many people (one maybe two, if that) totally dismiss Carson's injury. I think most are at a minimum concerned about how his injury is going to affect the start of the season and the timing with the WR's. I don't think however, that it's time to get rid of Carson. I think it's time to maybe draft a QB in the 3rd round or so with the hopes of him developing before Carson is done and we end up taking a chance with a #1 QB again. I'd rather see them get started on having Carson still on the roster with a youngster to bring up.

Last year, the elbow of Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer ended up significantly limiting his season -- and dramatically impeding his team's chances.

This year, Palmer's ankle is keeping him from getting ready for the games that count.

He suffered what has been described as a "mild-to-moderate" high ankle sprain in the preseason opener against the Saints. And Palmer hasn't practiced since then, missing the preseason game against the Patriots.

Per Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Palmer missed practice again on Sunday, and he might miss the next preseason game, on Thursday night against the Rams.

"If last week had been a regular-season game, he probably would have played," coach Marvin Lewis said. "But we are going to continue to be cautious, because it is just preseason. We'd like him to get some more time with our first unit, and I think we will do that before the preseason is over. But the most important thing is to have him 100 percent for Denver."

Still, it's one thing to be 100 percent healthy. It's another thing to be 100 percent prepared. After missing most of last season, Palmer needs all the reps he can get in order to get back to the form that has made him one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/24/carson-palmer-still-not-practicing/

Still, it's one thing to be 100 percent healthy. It's another thing to be 100 percent prepared. After missing most of last season, Palmer needs all the reps he can get in order to get back to the form that has made him one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

This is the clearest most accurate statement I've read yet on this topic. Is it important to get Palmer to 100%? Sure. Is it risky to sit him throughout the preseason, effectively handicapping how effective he can be in the games that matter? Absolutely. If you don't want him to play 3 quarters, that's fine. But at least give him 2 or 3 series. He needs those reps.

The worst thing you can do is keep him from live action until the games matter.

That was the part of the article I thought was most thought provoking as well Derek. This is from the official site:

While his teammates practiced in full pads Sunday, Carson Palmer threw lightly on the side before heading inside to work out with strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton and rehab trainer Nick Cosgray.

Before practice Palmer said there had been no change in his mildly sprained left ankle. He has said he can walk, but it's tender when he pivots and pushes. Then he went out and mostly threw from about 30 yards standing still. When he did drop back a few times, he did it lightly. He showed no signs of a limp when he exited the field with Morton early in the workout, and even negotiated a small incline pretty effectively.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/update-palmer-throws-little-progress-with-no-1/870c7c80-9101-40e2-b638-67ba8e2fe4b0

I think everyone needs to take their collective panties out of their crack and relax. IT'S THE PRESEASON! Who cares if Carson plays or not? I'm fairly certain he will remember how to play QB when he gets back to the action. We have to remember that Carson and ALL of the receivers have had an entire offseason together. Much different than last year when TJ and Chad did not participate. Their timing and rhythm will be fine, and Carson will start the season. Mark my words.

Who cares if Carson plays or not?

Me. Especially when you hear people like Chad, Coles, and many other professional WR's say it only take a matter of weeks to lose timing with your QB. While they may get to play a game of toss for 5 minutes in practice, I'd hardly describe that as working on their timing. It also wouldn't concern me as much if Carson hadn't missed most of the season last year. Factor in a new starting WR in Coles and yes, there has to be some concern.

Once again, I'm not saying get rid of Carson. Simply saying there is reason for concern from my standpoint. If there's no concern for you, cool.

I also agree without thought that Carson will start week #1. I doubt any would argue that, but where he is going to be ready wise is the question.

What Army said, jay.

Timing matters between a qb and his receivers. And right now, I am not at all assured they have the requisite timing. Especially with Carson having missed most of last year.

Bottom line, it would be nice if he could play and work on some of that.

Otherwise, we get to hear four weeks of "excuses" in the regular season for s**tty qb play that his timing isn't down because he missed so much of pre-season...

Me. Especially when you hear people like Chad, Coles, and many other professional WR's say it only take a matter of weeks to lose timing with your QB. While they may get to play a game of toss for 5 minutes in practice, I'd hardly describe that as working on their timing. It also wouldn't concern me as much if Carson hadn't missed most of the season last year. Factor in a new starting WR in Coles and yes, there has to be some concern.

Once again, I'm not saying get rid of Carson. Simply saying there is reason for concern from my standpoint. If there's no concern for you, cool.

I also agree without thought that Carson will start week #1. I doubt any would argue that, but where he is going to be ready wise is the question.

I think his preseason game 1 performance was a good starting point. He had a high completion percentage, threw the deep ball well, and didn't show any signs of arm troubles. I understand people being concerned about his propensity for injury but it seems to me that the coaching staff is making the call on keeping him out, not Carson. And I know some of you want Carson to take a stand and say "I'm playing no matter what!", but again, it's the preseason. No need to risk further injury for games that don't count.

I think his preseason game 1 performance was a good starting point. He had a high completion percentage, threw the deep ball well, and didn't show any signs of arm troubles. I understand people being concerned about his propensity for injury but it seems to me that the coaching staff is making the call on keeping him out, not Carson. And I know some of you want Carson to take a stand and say "I'm playing no matter what!", but again, it's the preseason. No need to risk further injury for games that don't count.

Yeah, he had his moments in that game, but he also looked a bit confused at times and especially on that terrible INT throw he made. While I'm not wwanting Carson to take a stand and make outlandish comments, I want him prepared for the start of the season and like MemBengal said, not have to hear excuses. We can't wait 5 games to have his timing get in sync with the WR's when you think that we face every Division opponent in those first 5 games.

this has been a well reasoned discussion, i suppose its a function of the lack of posts from some.

you guys have pretty well covered my concerns. the timing w/ receivers is crucial especially after missing most of last season and coles being new. the last thing i want to hear is that this injury was the reason we got off to a slow start (1-3, 0-4) particularly with everyone saying that its not that serious.

secondly, i'll echo army, the need here is to draft a third or fourth round qb, that can be developed behind carson and be inserted in case of the tragic. a first round pick is not necessary as that might upset the "queen bee" (i can't believe you guys let mikey off the hook for calling carson a queen) and be a detriment to other more pressing needs.

my only point in this was the hate out of the gate directed toward joe, i know the history, but jeez no attempt to even address the issue had been made when i first posted.

Yeah, he had his moments in that game, but he also looked a bit confused at times and especially on that terrible INT throw he made. While I'm not wwanting Carson to take a stand and make outlandish comments, I want him prepared for the start of the season and like MemBengal said, not have to hear excuses. We can't wait 5 games to have his timing get in sync with the WR's when you think that we face every Division opponent in those first 5 games.

Agree that a good start will be essential for determining how the season goes, but just me personally would like him to be 100% with so so timing versus 80-90% and great timing. Either way I just want them to beat the Broncos because I live in the Denver area.

Here's the thing though. How many QB's throughout the season can honestly say they are 100% ?? I'm thinking not many. While I would love to see Carson as close to that as possible, I agree with Baraka that I'd rather see the better timing and 80-90% healthy. Also agree that I (as all do) want to see a week #1 win. I see your point being here in South Dakota and having a bunch of Bronco fans running around. I work with two, so it's going to be sweet !!!

A tender ankle (as it has been described) doesn't seem like a serious enough injury to keep him from getting back out there. Carson said himself he has been through this injury before without problems... and played fairly well in the game after the injury occurred.

I'm not saying Palmer should risk serious injury to play. I'm also not saying preseason is the most important thing in the world. But he does need to shake the rust off, and not allowing him to do so until the regular season begins is putting him and the team at a disadvantage.

If they dont want to play him for the whole first half this week then fine, but at least get him out there for a quarter with the #1 recievers. Marvin said if this was a real game he would be playing, well then suck it up and play some so your not rusty going into the season. I swear this team acts like a bunch of babies when it comes to injury, hell if its not that bad then why is he not out PRACTICING with the team where he wont get hit to keep some of the timing down!!!! I just dont get it,this team lies to us all the time.

Its football men play on injuries all the time its the name of the game, but the Bengals act like a bunch of pansies and hold everyone out when they scrach there arm, or have a hang nail. Its getting to me now and just makes me mad. Suck it up and play alittle!!!!!

And this today from the official site:

Head coach Marvin Lewis said in a Monday news conference that quarterback Carson Palmer more than likley won't play Thursday night against the Rams. But he wouldn't rule him out practicing this week. "I was encouraged yesterday by things he was able to do."

Palmer threw lightly on his sprained ankle on the side at the beginning of Sunday's practice before heading inside for rehab and he said he won't practice Monday. But on Monday he also said he'll be ready for the Sept. 13 opener against Denver.

"Anything before that, we'll see where we're at," Palmer said. "The best thing for me and this team is to play as much as possible and everybody to play as much as possible. Get some significant time in every game. But that's not reality. That's not the reality in my situation. I'm taking it one day a time. The main goal is the Denver Broncos here at Paul Brown Stadium. That's ample time to get ready and be 100 percent for that one."

Palmer said the ankle is improving "day-to-day."

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/palmer-likely-out-this-week-ready-for-opener/c6f95bb2-69e8-41f8-8d18-f4f292b0cf85

Somebody save this thread. I think Carson is primed for another Pro Bowl year but either way Joe is going to look like a genius or a colossal dumba$$, I do think this is a defining year for Carson.

Henry and Ochenta y Cinco both look great, Coles looks like a good replacement for TJ. We look to have the makings of a much better run game and our OLine does not look as putrid as last year (not saying they look good by any stretch of the imagination but they look better than this time last year)

Well, at least O'Sullivan is getting some quality snaps as the backup...

Which is important since I think he'll end up getting the majority of snaps this season.

I'm hoping he continues to look at least "servicable."

Top 10 draft picks do not mix well with this team obviously, so we really need 7-9 or better.

Somebody save this thread.

That's a bad thing to suggest here. If we start looking back at predictions, 75% of the board ends up looking pretty silly.

I think Carson is primed for another Pro Bowl

Case in point. I'm thinking it will take roughly 1 regular season quarter to blow that pipe dream out of the water. To say nothing of all those lofty "10-6 and playoffs" predictions from so many a few months ago.

As long as the Bengals, Hobson, whomever, and any person on this board, do NOT trot out "he's rusty" as an excuse for poor play from Carson in Weeks 1 through, say, 4, I am fine with the caution. But if they hold him out, then whine about how he's not ready to go when the game is for keeps, I am going to lose it.

Holding him out till week 1, well there goes my hopes of him at least having a couple of series in the next 2 preseason games. If he comes out looking rusty, and we lose because hes throwing int., or over throwing/under throwing open guys, then i think it will prove that he does need the work. This team always needs to run things so cautious, and it really sucks.

Man i just hope nobody lays a finger on him all year!