Chris Henry arrested on Gun Charges

oldschooler

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read the full thread yet, but I come down on joisey's side on this one.

Enough is enough. After what happened in Covington, any fool would realize the ice was getting thin. On top of that, to point a gun at a group of people? One of the stupidest things you can do. The Bengals have better things to do with their time than try and help immature people grow up. Even if he somehow slips through this one and the drug thing, how much can the team really trust him? Ever? They cannot.

Cut bait and move on.

I have not read the full thread yet, but I come down on joisey's side on this one.

Enough is enough. After what happened in Covington, any fool would realize the ice was getting thin. On top of that, to point a gun at a group of people? One of the stupidest things you can do. The Bengals have better things to do with their time than try and help immature people grow up. Even if he somehow slips through this one and the drug thing, how much can the team really trust him? Ever? They cannot.

Cut bait and move on.

Exactly how would it benefit the Bengals in any way, shape or form

to just cut him lose ?

You keep him around and hope he finally learns from his

mistakes and becomes the force we ALL KNOW he can be.

Or you keep him around and he ends up pulling another

dumbass move and you cut him THEN.

Like I said it`s VERY premature to being calling for

his head at this point. There is far more to gain

from sticking with him then there is to cut him lose.

This isn't about giving the guy another chance to be productive on the football field. This guy is going to freaking jail. The chances of getting straight and coming back and even making another squad are pretty long as I see it. I just hope the guy can get himself together. At this rate he's gonna get killed.

He was nearly killed. Just imagine if Henry doesn't drop that gun right away. Just imagine if that cop would have shot him for the sake that he had his gun drawn on another person. So many scenarios, in which we could be discussing another Cincinnati pro athlete(Darnell Stinson) killed within two years. I believe in second chances, but wtf! This guy was busted a month ago, and he's already getting into bigger problems...His career could be screwed without the Bengals even doing anything, since he's facing numerous charges, and the fact that he was busted a month ago.

The guy is getting jail time. He wasn't CONVICTED... but you can't go around pointing guns at people. He didn't just wave it around... he pointed it. If what they're saying about Florida gun laws is true, it will be multiple years. They have police eye-witnesses, and a stolen gun as evidence... he's going down.

We don't have to get rid of him. He simply won't be available to any NFL team in prison.

Correct.

And, oldschooler, either ML's talk about what they are building here and getting the team to buy into has the force of actions, or it's just words. I am of the opinion you don't stop being a teammate once the season ends. Henry's actions did not just emperil the person at the other end of his gun, but also himself and then his team. You don't give him any more chances to do the last part because the team is more important than Henry.

I wish him the best, like others have said, and I hope he gets his head screwed on straight at some point, but this kind of soap opera is the last thing the Bengals need.

And, again, he has shown he can never ever be fully trusted. Ever.

oK LB51, obviously you do not know what it is like to grow up in the inner-city. Some of these kids don't have parents so they go out get in trouble because thats all they know. They don't have the understanding of right or wrong. Even as an adult you don't know, that is just how the culture is down there. What you said there was kind of rascist about having a half brain....

How is that racist? Because I expect someone in his position to use common sense? Gimme a break! That's a bullsh!t comment and you know it. It's real easy to play that card isn't it.

I hold everyone to the same standard. You, me, black, white..........it makes no difference. Acting like you have "half a brain" is what everyone should do.

Im sorry but getting rid of him would just be dumb, we would loose a valuable weapon. But that my opinon

Well, look at it this way: as derek rightly points out, Henry is now facing some serious charges. It may very well not be up to the Bengals because its hard to play WR from a jail cell. Whether you think he should be cut loose or not...the point may be moot.

Like I said before, I wish Chris all the best. Obviously he has issues that are long past dealing with. Whatever happens, I hope he rises to meet them. I sincerely hope that the worst-case scenario is one in which we are all complaing five years from now that we should have kept him because he's playing so well somewhere else.

You people do know the difference between being

"arrested" and "convicted" of a crime right ?

RIGHT ?

Like I said it is extreme to ALREADY convict him and

talk about him being in jail and all of the other BS

that is being plastered on this messaged board.

America went from innocent til PROVEN guilty.

To guilty til proven innocent !

I saw the same over-reactions from the Chad

"incident" and it later came out that it was

really NOTHING.

Why don`t you wait before putting him in prison

for years, cutting him and all the other asinine scenarios

that are ALREADY being thrown about ?

I saw the same over-reactions from the Chad "incident" and it later came out that it was really NOTHING.

The Chad Incident was a rumor about overheated locker room tempers.

This is a verified police arrest where he's waving around a stolen gun in plain view of a cop.

Bit of a difference.

Plus it was in Florida. IIRC from the Sean Taylor case, where he's facing something like 46 years, Florida has incredibly bad-assed gun laws. Just pointing a gun at someone in Florida = mandatory jail time.

Hobson...

Henry could face NFL sanctions

By GEOFF HOBSON

January 30, 2006

8:20 p.m.

Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry faces possible suspension from the NFL after being arrested for the second time in 44 days this past weekend in Orlando, Fla.

According to a Florida newspaper, Henry was nearly shot by an Orlando police sergeant after pointing a stolen gun at a group of people in the downtown area. The Orlando Sentinel reported Monday night that Henry, arrested Dec. 15 for possession of marijuana in Covington, Ky., was charged with possession of a concealed firearm, improper exhibition of a firearm, aggravated assault with a firearm, and was released from jail on $3,000 bail.

The Bengals had no comment on the story Monday night and said they were still gathering information. The club has a policy of not commenting on criminal matters until the legal system has run its course.

The newspaper cited a police report that quoted Sgt. Dean DeSchryver saying he aimed his gun at Henry and yelled, "Police. Drop the gun.

"Henry looked at me, froze, then moved towards the back of the limo and threw the gun into the limo," the report said. "I pulled Henry away from the limo and pushed him to the ground."

Police said that Henry, in Orlando rehabbing from a season-ending knee injury, and a group inside the limo, looked about to fight another group. Police recovered a 9 mm. Luger from the limo’s backseat and reported it was loaded with eight hollow-point bullets and one cartridge of snake-shot, the report states. The serial number on the pistol showed it had been reported stolen last month by a Florida gun owner.

According to NFL policy, any “Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a second criminal violation will be suspended without pay or banished for a period of time to be determined by the Commissioner.”

Henry’s drug case has been continued. By NFL rule, the December arrest put Henry into a treatment plan that can’t exceed 90 days, but can be revised up to six months. The policy also says that failure to comply with evaluation and counseling obligations (including being arrested for or charged with additional criminal activity during the evaluation and counseling period) is conduct detrimental to the NFL and “shall be punishable by fine or suspension at the discretion of the Commissioner.”

Henry, a third-round pick out of West Virginia, led all NFL rookie receivers with six touchdown catches in a season he caught 31 balls for 422 yards. He caught just two passes since the drug arrest (he was inactive the week after), but they were spectacular. Once was a 27-yard touchdown catch in the 37-27 loss to the Bills, and the other was the longest pass play in Bengals’ playoff history.

But the 66-yard over-the-shoulder bomb on just the Bengals’ second snap of the Wild Card game against the Steelers was also the costliest play in Bengals’ post-season history. After he threw the pass, quarterback Carson Palmer was lost for the season with an injury that required reconstructive knee surgery and his status for next season is in doubt. It’s believed Henry tore cartilage on the play, but he was expected to be back in six to eight weeks.

Now, the Bengals may not have either back for the opener. For instance, a few years ago, Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman was suspended for three games following a domestic violence case, his second such violation of NFL policy.

Henry's arrest also throws their backup receiver situation into a mess. They may now have to keep wide receiver Kelley Washington. But since he's a restricted free agent, another team can sign Washington and the Bengals may have to make an economic decision they didn't think they'd have to make.

Convicted or not....when there is smoke there is usually fire.

This is twice now.

How stupid do you have to be to blow an NFL career in the first year?

Chris Henry is an idiot, plain and simple. I will never root for him again, no matter what. Pathetic.

Also, people who say that it would hurt the Bengals by cutting him because we would lose a weapon are missing the point.

I don't care if he catches 40 TDs in a year. He is not the type of player I want to have on my team. There are consequences for your actions, no matter how well you do your job. I do not want dregs on my team. I do not want guys with serious legal issues on my team. Henry has no room whatsoever to make any mistakes. No matter how good he is on the field, he is an embarrasment for the city.

Truly a terrible shame. The kid certainly did have talent. I am going to resist the urge to rub it in your face since the Bengals have certainly had their share of bad luck in the last few weeks.

The kid certainly lacks even the most basic common sense ("as his single digit Wonderlic score would indicate" quoted from PFT)

The Bengals are deep at receiver. Be thankful it wasn't a vital impact player like John Thornton or Ohalete.

/off to the Smack section to joust with Riag for a bit.

//hope that #9 returns to full form cuz we are expecting a little more from you next year.

///Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that you guys suck.

After taking the time to read all the pages of this thread, I realize the diversity of this boards members when it comes to this type of a situation. Like I said in my first post on this topic, STUPID STUPID STUPID !!! I'm upset at the fact that in three years, with this kids potential after his first year as a rookie, he could be right up there with Chad and the one two punch would have been scary good !!! Now, I think the dude needs jail time with some type of counseling involved. He will probably get off with some suspension and mandatory counseling and I think that would be complete BULLSH*T. "He never learned right from wrong" WHAT THE F**K ??? Go tell that sob story to someone else, because it sounds like nothing but an excuse to me. Don't tell me I'm not from the inner city, so I don't understand either. No I'm not, but children instinctually know the difference between right and wrong. Are you telling me geography somehow makes a difference in that equation ??

With all that, I would love to see him figure himself out and come back at some point to be a productive player and more importantly, person. I'm not ready to completely give up on him, regardless of the legal outcome. Charged, convicted, or whatever it doesn't take much to figure out he will have one hell of a hard time getting a spot on the roster after what has happened. Yes, anything can happen, but HE PULLED A F**KING GUN IN FRONT OF A COP !!! Hello assclown, that probably isn't a good idea !!! God he just irritates the hell out of me. Oh well, I guess we will see how it all works out.

Washington has to be loving every minute of this situation. Yes, TE looks more like an option AT SOME POINT during the draft. F**K I'm irritated !!!

Far from "WHODEY" !!!

oK LB51, obviously you do not know what it is like to grow up in the inner-city. Some of these kids don't have parents so they go out get in trouble because thats all they know. They don't have the understanding of right or wrong. Even as an adult you don't know, that is just how the culture is down there. What you said there was kind of rascist about having a half brain....

How is that racist? Because I expect someone in his position to use common sense? Gimme a break! That's a bullsh!t comment and you know it. It's real easy to play that card isn't it.

I hold everyone to the same standard. You, me, black, white..........it makes no difference. Acting like you have "half a brain" is what everyone should do.

If one of you 2 made a racist comment it was the "Whur Chad AT clown......."that is just how the culture is down there????.......that right there is a phucking racist statement......not all inner city people are like that

at all!!!!!!!!........you have balls calling someone else a racist pal.

So it's racist to say everyone should use their brains, but you don't think it's racist to say that kids from the inner city don't have the capability of understanding right and wrong because that's all they know? It's just the way it is? Dude, THAT is freaking racist. You know what, EVERYONE who isn't INSANE knows at least a bit about right and wrong, and EVERYONE with half a brain, inner-city or redneck, knows it's against the law and freaking stupid as hell to wave a stolen gun in FRONT OF A CROWD AND A COP. That's NOT just the way it is, even in Cabrini Green or Harlem, yet alone South Florida. Quit making excuses.

The ONLY excuse Chris "Dopey" Henry has is that he baked his brain cells. Not half his brain, but the whole damned thing.

You people do know the difference between being

"arrested" and "convicted" of a crime right ?

RIGHT ?

Like I said it is extreme to ALREADY convict him and

talk about him being in jail and all of the other BS

that is being plastered on this messaged board.

America went from innocent til PROVEN guilty.

To guilty til proven innocent !

I saw the same over-reactions from the Chad

"incident" and it later came out that it was

really NOTHING.

Why don`t you wait before putting him in prison

for years, cutting him and all the other asinine scenarios

that are ALREADY being thrown about ?

oldschooler, you are absolutly right. In the USA you are "Innocect until proven guilty". And I happen to think it works fairly well.

The problem with Chris Henry is one of perception. Snap judgements are sad and often wrong, but once made are hard to overcome. Take, for instance, the case of one Ray Lewis. Attempted murder, plea-bargained, and convicted of obstruction.

Yet how often in the subsequent years have you heard about the thugs and criminals that pepper the Ravens roster? Now, though I absolutely agree with you about it being simply an arrest, and the legal system will deal with it, the perception is already cemented in the public consciousness. Chris Henry - pot smoker, stolen gun, brandishing a firearm.

The question to you is, do you want the Bengals to develop a reputation similar to the Ravens? I, for one, don't. For that reason alone, it's time to part ways and let the justice system works it's will.

Marvin

Deferring to the legal system does not mean that one cannot express one's opinion.

Those saying things like...standing by your man...he's in the "Family"...Give the guy a chance....he's from the city...whatever.

How about professionalism...accountability...integrity...character?

With this incident, it is clear that while CH has the physical tools and talent to be an NFL player on the highest level, the underlying flaws of character, immaturity and gross disregard for apparently his own well being are issues bigger than what I think his employer should endure.

Sure the legal system will run its course. With the details from the report like there were some witnesses, including the cop, and the other circumstances it appears CH will be spending some time in the clink. How much time...no can tell. A slap on the wrist seems unlikely, this was serious. A stolen, loaded gun? Not looking good.

I imagine the team will immediatley suspend him pending the outcome. The NFL may move to enforce a suspension beyond what the Bengals intend. Outcome of his legal issues, in KY and now FL, will likely cement his relase/imprisonment.

This is really more sad than anything. Dude has the physical...paired with a nickel brain. From the Katrina stuff with his family, he sounded like a good kid taking care of his family. Maybe this will snap him into some kind of grow-up mode. Once he comes out of the clink, he may still have some support, a la Jamal Lewis...we'll see.

Convicted or not....when there is smoke there is usually fire.

This is twice now.

How stupid do you have to be to blow an NFL career in the first year?

Chris Henry is an idiot, plain and simple. I will never root for him again, no matter what. Pathetic.

Also, people who say that it would hurt the Bengals by cutting him because we would lose a weapon are missing the point.

I don't care if he catches 40 TDs in a year. He is not the type of player I want to have on my team. There are consequences for your actions, no matter how well you do your job. I do not want dregs on my team. I do not want guys with serious legal issues on my team. Henry has no room whatsoever to make any mistakes. No matter how good he is on the field, he is an embarrasment for the city.

Everybody gets one chance in my book. Henry now stands one over the limit. Cut him. Now.

It is easy to fall in love with Henry's talent but his athletic ability does not make up for the obvious void between his ears.

We need to dump this clown as soon as possible.