Chris Henry arrested on Gun Charges

oldschooler

I can't wait until he does something good and you all will be like...

"WOW he is such a good player I love this kid!!! RE-Sign Him!!!!"

Ok so get rid of Chad, since most of you want to, and now get rid of Henry. Give the kid a damn chance, I mean if he murders 1000 people I could understand us getting rid of him.

That is one of the dumbest things you've ever written...

FYI - there is an edit option on the page on the lower right of each post, just in case.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah actually I think Henry will get a year suspension, or two, while he works out his legal problems and serves his time - and completes a rehab program.

But I would think waving a gun in public is probably in the top 3 of the worst things you can do in the eyes of the NFL as a player. Not good.

While this is frustrating to me as a Bengals fan... it brings up a far more complicated issue that is commonly overlooked. It is easy to look at Chris Henry, and shake you're head because he'll never "get it." "Some guys never learn" we like to say. You and I for instance (assuming that you are like me and are middle class white America) would never do something this stupid.

But why is it that we go and find these guys in the inner city, give them millions of dollars to entertain us, and expect all that money to make them act just like we would? More money just makes you more of what you already are... so if you're an inner city gangsta... more money is just going to get you in prison faster (i.e. the above example). Perhaps we have a real societal problem here. We look at these spoiled athletes, and complain about their issues... but we offer them no opportunity to learn how to act. I can't imagine what the guys at the Boy's home I work at would do with a cold million.

As much as I hate to say this... because he definitely needs to take responsibility for his own actions... I think middle class white America has to take some of the blame for exploiting these young guys for our own entertainment. I don't know what the solution is here... but it certainly isn't throwing money at them to play a game, and expecting them to miraculously become productive citizens.

All that said... He's done as a Bengal Whur Chad At... He's going to be on the prison team... so it will be hard for him to be productive as a Bengal.

Don't give up on this kid yet folks.

Yes he isnt the smartest cat in the world, but hey he's young, he will, hopefully mature. I think the Bengals need to send this kid to some sort of seminar to teach some things. Maybe Laurence Phillips can chat with him, and make him realize if he keeps doing what he is doing, that he will end up like him.

I think the worst thing for us to do is to give up on him, because that will only turn out worse for him because he could possibly lead down the road of violence even more knowing that no one cares about him. I think that is the biggest problem in our world, is that we give up to easily on our youth, which leads to more violence and hardships in our world today.

From the Wiseful Whur Chad at?

LOL.... you have to be kidding me, about 99% of the young kids you refer to have what they call common sense not to do dumb ass things like this. The drug incident, ok, maybe he was in the wrong but you would figure after getting busted for that he would of straightened it out. No instead lets run around the streets of Orlando looking for trouble....

I read the police report in the incident (it's posted as a PDF ine the'CPO site) and in the last paragraph is this little tidbit that wasn;t mentioned in the story.

"The firearm was listed as stolen by the Pasco County Sheriff's Office on 12/16/05."

So though not a formal charge yet, don't be surpised if posession of stolen goods gets added to the grocery list.

On a personal note, I for one will be sad to see him go, but think the right thing to do is for ML to cut the losses and let the Florida penal system rehabillite the poor, misguided youth.

Marvin

While this is frustrating to me as a Bengals fan... it brings up a far more complicated issue that is commonly overlooked. It is easy to look at Chris Henry, and shake you're head because he'll never "get it." "Some guys never learn" we like to say. You and I for instance (assuming that you are like me and are middle class white America) would never do something this stupid.

But why is it that we go and find these guys in the inner city, give them millions of dollars to entertain us, and expect all that money to make them act just like we would? More money just makes you more of what you already are... so if you're an inner city gangsta... more money is just going to get you in prison faster (i.e. the above example). Perhaps we have a real societal problem here. We look at these spoiled athletes, and complain about their issues... but we offer them no opportunity to learn how to act. I can't imagine what the guys at the Boy's home I work at would do with a cold million.

As much as I hate to say this... because he definitely needs to take responsibility for his own actions... I think middle class white America has to take some of the blame for exploiting these young guys for our own entertainment. I don't know what the solution is here... but it certainly isn't throwing money at them to play a game, and expecting them to miraculously become productive citizens.

All that said... He's done as a Bengal Whur Chad At... He's going to be on the prison team... so it will be hard for him to be productive as a Bengal.

What the fuk? You can't be serious? The man must be holdin him down, right? :blink:

I am white and middle class and I take ZERO responsibility for this dumbass or any other dumbass athlete who makes bad decisions and gets in trouble. I didn't give him the weed or the car or the gun! If anything, the league gives kids like that a chance to break away from the life of hardship by paying them very well.

Everyone has a brain that lets them know what right and wrong is. When you break the law you have made a conscious decision to do wrong. Therefore, you are responsible for that act and should be ready to deal with the ramifications. It's no one's fault but his own.

I thought driving around with no valid plates - no license and of course no insurance - along with a bag of bud in your shoe - was stupid enough.

But he follows that up by waving a STOLEN firearm in public, in front of a cop, at a whole group of people, IN HIS BENGALS JERSEY.

Reggie Rembert is somewhere smiling right now...

What the fuk? You can't be serious? The man must be holdin him down, right? :blink:

I am white and middle class and I take ZERO responsibility for this dumbass or any other dumbass athlete who makes bad decisions and gets in trouble. I didn't give him the weed or the car or the gun! If anything, the league gives kids like that a chance to break away from the life of hardship by paying them very well.

Everyone has a brain that lets them know what right and wrong is. When you break the law you have made a conscious decision to do wrong. Therefore, you are responsible for that act and should be ready to deal with the ramifications. It's no one's fault but his own.

I love it when you guys like to overreact when I say these kinds of things. Perhaps you missed the part where I said

he definitely needs to take responsibility for his own actions

My only point is that we give these guys all this money, and expect them to be just like us. It isn't going to happen. He's not a productive citizen, and will never become one as long as we ignore the problem. The action itself is his fault, and no one's fault but his own... It has nothing to do with "the man"

Your idea that money solves these problems just shows you're ignorance of the issues. Go work at a boy's home for a month and tell me that money will solve their problems. The system is broken... and there will continue to be more and more Chris Henrys and Sean Taylors until a way is provided to help them see their destructive lifestyles as just that... not cool, not hard - destructive.

oK LB51, obviously you do not know what it is like to grow up in the inner-city. Some of these kids don't have parents so they go out get in trouble because thats all they know. They don't have the understanding of right or wrong. Even as an adult you don't know, that is just how the culture is down there. What you said there was kind of rascist about having a half brain....

For somebody who has cheered his every TD and displayed his picture as my avatar this season (I thought he might be the breakout player from our draft this season) you might expect something different, but here it is --- 2 strikes and you're out. Some of you may have a point that he just wasn't ready for fame & fortune, but he had about a bazillion chances and opportunities to get with people that could help him make good decisions. What adults do with their money is their choice and their problem. I'm sad as hell to see him come to this because I fear there's only one way for him to go from here and it's not up -- but damn part of treating somebody as a man is letting them fall down and he's down & out now. Good luck Chris, you're gonna need it.

All people who wanna give up all hope on henry were probbley same people who wanted to trade chad sense we had henry now....I don't think Kdub or Walter or tab could replace henry as #3 with aslittle playtime he had he got 6 tds....like I said short leash first si gn of trouble cut him

No offense, kaz, but how many more signs do you want? Stupid citations because he can't be bothered to renew his license or register his ride...then busted with pot...now weapons charges...do we have to wait until he shoots someone?

Two words: Good. Bye.

Depends on how many years he gets. I'll bet he gets a few... which means he's at least done as a Bengal.

And to continue to make my point... I'm not trying to relieve him of any responsibility. The boys I work with think I am incredibly strict, because I don't let them get away with s**t. I make them take responsibility for every stupid ass choice they make.

I guess my point is that Chris Henry doesn't have me there to kick his ass when he starts to do something stupid. All he has is the police to give him his consequences after the deed is done. Some guys are smart enough to pay body guards to keep them in check... and maybe they should be mandatory.

My guess is Chris Henry never learned how to act like an adult. It's nothing about race, its about opportunity. He had money, but never had someone to make sure he knew how to make wise decisions with it.

So I guess I'm somewhere between Whur CHad At and LB51. I think he deserves to go to jail for however many years it takes... but I also think that when we look at these kinds of things going down, it should be a warning to us to find a way to help these guys out.

Joisey, wouldn't you want another chance???

Again, how many "another chances" do you get?

OK, stupid traffic violation crap, fine. He runs some extra gassers at practice and write "I will go to the DMV" 100 times on the blackboard in the play room.

Then busted with pot...multiple bags so if the cops felt like beign d*cks they could get him for intent to distribute...benched for a game and headed for the NFL's substance abuse program and a possible suspension for up to 4 games to start next season.

Ya think ya''d learn, right? Be on your best behavior, right? At least not drive around with a freakin' Luger. (A Luger! WTF? Who does this nitwit think he is, Field Marshall Rommel?) And then pull it on the street and wave it at people!

And this is all in the space of his first and only NFL season!

I'm sorry, man. I really do wish him the best, I bear him no ill will. Maybe he'll wise up, find Jesus or Budda or Glinda the Good, something. And I reallly hope we see him five years from now kicking butt on the football field. But I do not think it will be here -- and it shouldn't be.

Ugggggh.

He was "arrested" not "convicted".

This isn`t devastating or life altering.

And hopefully he`ll get out of it without going to jail.

But what gets me is that he just had a dumb episode 6 weeks ago.

He hurt his knee in the playoff game. And what

does he do ? He gets with his friends and has

a BIGGER dumb episode.

He isn`t just some punk of the street now.

He is a celebrity. He is a professional athelete.

I was hoping that the episode in Kentucky

with the weed would have been a wake up

call.

But it seems that instead of using it as a

learning tool. He just totally ignored it

and became dumber.

Henry is a great talent and alot of us

love him as a football player. I really

don`t give a (foul language) what he does on

his personal time as long as it doesn`t

involve the police and ending his career as

a Bengals football player.

Us Bengals fans have had enough horrorfying

events to deal with in the past 6 weeks.

We didn`t need this to add to our woes.

I just hope THIS time he actually learns

from his mistake instead of ignoring it

and making an even DUMBER ONE AGAIN in the future...

I`m as frustrated and aggravated as anyone by this.

But I think calling him a "Cancer" and talk of "cutting him"

is not only a bit extreme...but also VERY premature.

This is unfortunate news.

But unlike most of you people, I say the Bengals should work with Henry and not "cut their losses".

Chris Henry is part of the Bengals family, therefore the Bengals organization should do what they can to help dude. Chris Henry might be young and dumb but he's still part of the fam.

Besides, we don't know the circumstances of what happened so I wouldn't be so quick to judge, just because you read a f**kin police report.

As far as that marijuana charge..................I'm surprised you guys count that as a 2nd strike. Nothing wrong with a lil herb............ just don't get caught.