Titans Hire Callahan as HC, Bengals Bump Pitcher to OC

volcom69

More changes.

The Cincinnati Bengals have made another addition to Zac Taylor’s coaching staff for the 2024 season.

According to ESPN’s Pete Thamel, Oregon Ducks assistant Jordan Salkin is joining the Bengals staff as an offensive assistant.

Salkin was an offensive analyst for the Ducks.

The Bengals also appear to have promoted Fredi Knighten to assistant quarterbacks coach, as that’s the position he now holds on the team’s official website. He’d be taking the position previously held by Brad Kragthorpe, who is now the team’s quarterbacks coach.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/2/12/24070942/jordan-salkin-fredi-knighten-bengals-coaching-staff-oregon-ducks

I'd be in favor of moving on from Pollack. Something's gotta give.

However, I think the biggest problem is that the NFL's heaviest density of edge rushing talent exists in the same zip code as Joe Burrow (the AFC North and a few other assorted AFC teams). Even average offensive lineman get roasted in four games against Garrett and Watt.

• Like 1

Dan Quinn was a very good D-Coordinator.  Zimmer will do fine.   Cowboys are a better version of the problem the Bengals had with Marvin Lewis.    Good regular season team, poor playoff performers.

The history of the NFL is filled with these type of teams.   Since I loved the old AFC Central in the late 80s.   These type of regular season champs/playoff chump teams remind me of the Warren Moon Oilers.   Just could never get to the Conference Championship game.

good read on the new guy from hobs. This part is for TJ.

Rascati went back to the quarterbacks as the offensive coordinator for Tennessee Tech and then Tennessee-Chattanooga before Ragone called again in 2019. Ragone was coaching the Bears quarterbacks by then and his golfing buddy, Broncos head coach Vic Fangio, had an opening for a quality control coach. Ragone recommended Rascati and the rest, as they say. He worked primarily with the line for two years before moving to the quarterbacks room for a year.

When offensive line coach Chris Kuper went to the Vikings in 2022, he took Rascati with him as his assistant and as he takes this new job he believes the background with the line is going to turn out to have been a must.

"I would say I wish I did this 10 years ago before I called plays," Rascati says. "Obviously, you want to build your system around your quarterback and what his skill set is. But I think it's also important to kind of see it through the lens of the offensive line.

"I think it's helped me tremendously from a run game standpoint to protection plan to really understanding more than scheme. More technique fundamentals. And what problem looks they may have and how to handle it. And how to really protect those guys because, in this league, games are won at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. You can quickly get exposed at this level with your protection plan if it's not sound."

https://www.bengals.com/news/from-arena2-to-no-9-new-assistant-justin-rascati-has-seen-it-all-from-inside-out

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Good read, dude was an arena football beast for the 2009 Kentucky Horsemen, that’s all I needed to hear.  Not sure how the Tuskers missed this guy, but I guess no organization bats a thousand.  

• Haha 2

The Bengals are adding to their coaching staff from the college ranks. 247Sports' Matt Zenitz reports the team is hiring New Mexico State tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Ronnie Regula as a quality control coach.

Regula held that role just this past season after stops at Notre Dame, Miami (FL), and other college programs.

He played collegiate ball at Miami.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/report-cincinnati-hires-new-mexico-state-assistant-ronnie-regula-as-quality-control-coach

Apparently he started his career at Mount St. Joe, so he’s got a Cincy connection.

Just joined NW State in December so clearly a surprise move.

Was coaching teams and TEs at ND but was supposed to be moving to QB coach and passing game coordinator in New Mexico. Wonder where he will go here, but between this and Rascati it feels like they are trying to overhaul the offensive game plan, which imo is a good idea.

• Like 2

Picked up a couple more assistants but it looks like the 24 coaching staff has been finalized.

HEAD COACH:

Zac Taylor

ASSISTANT COACHES:

Lou Anarumo (defensive coordinator)

James Bettcher (linebackers)

Joey Boese (director of player performance/head strength and conditioning)

Charles Burks (secondary/cornerbacks)

James Casey (tight ends)

Louie Cioffi (defensive quality control)

Mark Duffner (senior defensive assistant)

Derek Frazier (assistant offensive line)

Justin Hill (running backs)

Marion Hobby (defensive line)

Todd Hunt (assistant strength and conditioning)

Ben Jacobs (special teams assistant)

Fredi Knighten (assistant quarterbacks)

Jordan Kovacs (secondary/safeties)

Brad Kragthorpe (quarterbacks)

Dan Pitcher (offensive coordinator)

Frank Pollack (offensive line/run game coordinator)

Justin Rascati (pass game coordinator)

Ronnie Regula (defensive assistant)

Jordan Salkin (offensive assistant)

Darrin Simmons (assistant head coach/special teams coordinator)

Garrett Swanson (assistant strength and conditioning)

Troy Walters (wide receivers)

STAFF:

Doug Rosfeld (chief of coaching staff)

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-hire-three-assistant-coaches-finalize-2024-coaching-staff