Titans Hire Callahan as HC, Bengals Bump Pitcher to OC

volcom69

14 minutes ago, Stripes said:

If the job goes to Pitcher, I really hope we don't have a Ken Zampese redux situation on our hands.

By all accounts they love Pitcher, gave him extra money last year to stay on, so I’d say it’s when not if.

I’m optimistic but I doubt  his elevation changes the multi headed OC hydra approach they have so we will see if it’s an upgrade. On the other hand at worst I think it’s same old same old, so…

Agreed.  Lou lost a lot of talent off the back end of the ‘22 team.  I get the idea Jessie Bates was like another coach on the field.  It takes time to develop that sort of acumen, even for talented guys taken high in the draft.  

Callahan is hard to evaluate because the team isn’t real clear on who the architect of the offense is, who’s really calling the plays, etc.  

11 hours ago, COB said:

Agreed.  Lou lost a lot of talent off the back end of the ‘22 team.  I get the idea Jessie Bates was like another coach on the field.  It takes time to develop that sort of acumen, even for talented guys taken high in the draft.  

Callahan is hard to evaluate because the team isn’t real clear on who the architect of the offense is, who’s really calling the plays, etc.  

My guess would be something like the JTO QB school breakdowns.   Probably a little more detailed and a little more critical eye.    But basically is Joe prepared?  Does Joe operate and get them into correct plays?  Does Joe go to the right spot with the football?  

He would be evaluated on who he could bring to his staff.   Most head-coaching candidates have a list made up when they walk in that door.

Highschool QBs are calling their own plays.    Its going to be more how prepared that QB is because most offenses in the pros are going to rely on the QB more than ever.

That's why IF Pitcher wants a shot at NFL head coach it would be best to stay with Burrow.     Ray Lewis was responsible for a multitude of defensive position coaches becoming defensive Coordinators to becoming Head Coaches.   There should be a Ray Lewis coaching tree.

12 hours ago, COB said:

We fell on our faces this year and our coordinators are still getting poached.

Well, I mean they had a healthy Burrow for like 6 games all season and one of worst defenses in the league and still ended up missing the playoffs about as barely as you can. That’s gonna get a guy looks.

Yea good for Brian he deserves it, not sure how he will do but everybody with the Bengals seemed to love him. Now the question is will the Titans give him time to figure it out, he has never been a HC so it will take time. Don’t screw him over Tennessee.

Now I’m just waiting to see if Pitcher is the guy, I’m guessing so, but weird things do happen sometimes.

It’s official.

https://www.bengals.com/news/brian-callahan-titans-head-coach-bengals-offensive-coordinator

Notable:

The Bengals also still have on staff two key coaches in the passing game, quarterbacks coach Dan Pitcher and wide receivers coach Troy Walters, who are potential internal candidates to replace Callahan. The club also is conducting a thorough search of external candidates and is underway with the interview process.

Wouldn't be surprised if Pitcher ends up getting HC looks down the road.   He has 2 guys in the room that have won games and thrown 300+.   Franchise players get guys promoted, period.    Joe Brady is running around cashing in off Burrow/Chase/Jefferson at LSU.   Callahan cashing off Burrow.     Just the way it works.    Sure these guys might have some secret play book but its most likely they have the best guys on their squad.

The most innovative coach, I've seen as a Bengal fan, was Sam Wyche.   He tried more shit and had more stuff flop than he was successful at but always came up with something.  He basically said when you coach Joe Montana, you take two steps back and leave him alone that way you can be a good coach.    He used to quiz Boomer non stop.   The success at the position seems to be first having a skilled QB and then the personality to work with them.  Joe Montana and Boomer were wildly different personalities, but Sam figured out how to work with them.

By all accounts Pitcher and Joe work well together. 

• HoosierCat changed the title to Titans Hire Callahan as HC, Bengals Bump Pitcher to OC

Yeah, I just want to see something different from the same old, same old.

When you have a roster full of talented players, play with it a bit.  Throw a new wrinkle in there.
Come up with something, anything, to keep the opposing defense on their toes.

I don't have any issue whatsoever with Pitcher personally, but he doesn't give me the impression we are going to be seeing anything vastly different.
Maybe that's a good thing.  What the hell do I know ??

5 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

The most innovative coach, I've seen as a Bengal fan, was Sam Wyche.   He tried more shit and had more stuff flop than he was successful at but always came up with something. 

Good ol' Wicky Wacky. Those were the days.

I'd still take Hue back as OC. He might not be much good at being a head coach but he had more rabbits in his OC hat than a magician's convention.

Burrow on the hire of Pitcher:

“Our relationship is as good as it gets," Burrow said in a release. "I wouldn’t be the player I am today without him. He’s been preparing for this for years. He takes his job very seriously and does it with a lot of passion."