Titans Hire Callahan as HC, Bengals Bump Pitcher to OC

volcom69

9 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yeah, I just want to see something different from the same old, same old.

When you have a roster full of talented players, play with it a bit.  Throw a new wrinkle in there.
Come up with something, anything, to keep the opposing defense on their toes.

I don't have any issue whatsoever with Pitcher personally, but he doesn't give me the impression we are going to be seeing anything vastly different.
Maybe that's a good thing.  What the hell do I know ??

The problem is Zac does most of the playcalling so to get something different Zac would either have to leave or give up his playcalling which I don’t see happening.

I personally don’t need anything new besides them realizing running the ball is a good thing. So hopefully they get together and decide this year they will do more running and screens, stuff like that. 

I don’t mind the Pitcher hire the team seems to love the guy, just so he gets the offense rolling before week 7 I’ll be happy lol.

11 hours ago, volcom69 said:

The problem is Zac does most of the playcalling so to get something different Zac would either have to leave or give up his playcalling which I don’t see happening.

Nope.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-head-coach-zac-taylor-considered-giving-up-play-calling-to-brian-callahan

Play calling is a red herring for the Bengals.    I'd love to see a stat of how many drives per game are stalled because line issues in pass blocking.   They don't really run all that well vs. light boxes either.    Be honest I think the coaches are fine with a weak run game as long as it doesn't throw them off schedule.   But they are looking for conversions via the passing game and giving up 3 sacks per game is a damper on the overall numbers.

I just read that since the falcons hired the Rams’ Raheem Morris away to be their new head coach - the Rams will get a third round compensatory pick in 2024 and a third round compensatory pick in 2025.

I have not read anything about us getting compensatory picks for Callahan.  Anyone know anything about this?

Ok I just did some googling, it looks like we get nothing for Callahan.  The compensatory picks the Rams are getting (can 2 3rd round picks be correct?  Sounds like a lot) are a Rooney Rule thing and Morris is black.  

I think part of our low running to pass ratio is the result of Burrow’s audibles.  There are plays where based on reads he makes he audibles into something, which means he’s audibling out of something.  Dude has never met a pass play he didn’t like, gunslinger.

• Like 1

Again… I’m cool with that.

Maybe then they can find a way to either get the o-line to pass block better or find an o-line coach that can get his line in tune with what Burrow likes to do.

Pollack needs to go either way around.
Hes obviously not that dude.

23 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Counterpoint: whether you attribute it to the coaches or the QB, the Bengals’ preferences on offense are exactly what defenses now are built to stop.

Damn Rat Zones!

1. No wonder our young safeties struggled.   That's a whole lot of knowledge

2. Fans can't trust PFF grades.   Nobody with an All-22 video is going to figure out what the hell should have happened.   Each covering defender has 3/4 different rules.

So I've heard the "Defenses have caught up to the offenses" theory several times this year.    However the difference is staggering.  Assuming I have not miscalculated:

In 2020:  With 16 games - There was 183,825 yards gained and 12,692 points scored.

In 2023 With 17 games - 180,382 yards gained and 11,606 points scored.   Holy shit 1 extra game and 3K less in yards and 1K less in points.

2020 - 183,825 yards gained; 12,692 points scored (16 games)

2021 - 186,897 yards gained, 12,502 points scored (17 games)

2022 184,332 yards gained, 11,860 points scored (Buffalo and Cincy) 1 less game.

2023 180,382 yards gained, 11,606 points scored (17 games)

Damn rat zones!

• 2 weeks later...

Another coach poached.

According to Ian Rapoport and Matt Zenitz, Bengals safeties/secondary coach Robert Livingston is heading to the college ranks to be the new Colorado Buffaloes defensive coordinator under Deion Sanders.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/2/7/24063031/robert-livingston-bengals-colorado-buffaloes-dc-deion-sanders

Kragthorpe getting Pitcher’s job, Kovacs advanced to Livingston’s spot, new guy Justin Rascati hired as “pass game coordinator.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/justin-rascati-pass-game-coordinator-brad-kragthorpe-jordan-kovacs-promoted

Rascati comes to Cincinnati from the Minnesota Vikings, where he spent the past two seasons (2022-23) as assistant offensive line coach. He previously served as an offensive quality control coach with the Denver Broncos from 2019-21. 

Prior to his NFL coaching career, Rascati spent seven years in assistant roles at the collegiate level. He served as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga (2017-18), offensive coordinator at Tennessee Tech University ('16), passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach at the University of Tennessee-Martin ('14-15), and quarterbacks coach at Weber State University ('12-13). 

Rascati began his collegiate playing career as a QB at the University of Louisville in 2003, before transferring to James Madison University. He passed for 5912 yards and 51 TDs in three seasons at JMU (2004-06), and in '04 helped lead the Dukes to a 13-2 record and the program's first FCS national championship.

Outside of the excitement and fun of seeing your team play in the Super Bowl, most of these conversations don't really occur concerning your team until after the game is over.  Not being in the playoff, let alone the Super Bowl makes the offseason painstakingly long and boring.

Guess we won't be seeing many changes with the o-line in 2024, outside of a more than likely new right tackle.
Pollack isn't going anywhere and all others seem to be entrenched in their positions.

Brown - Volson - Karras - Cappa - New Dude

Why am I not so inspired by that?

EDIT: The first person to bring up Carmen as a potential starter needs to be kicked in the nuts...

Well, Rascati spent the last two seasons coaching the OL in Minnesota, so he may have something to bring there. They have a pretty respectable line.

Beyond that we just have to wait and see what FA and the draft bring.

Pollack can only coach what he has, and so far they haven’t been great.  Brown was a huge addition, we need to hit free agency for a starting RT in the worst way.  I don’t want them drafting a youngster and plugging him in.  

FWIW back in 2020 the Broncos apparently did some instructional videos for the local HS football community & the guy who they had do the one on offensive line pass protection was then-offensive QC coach Rascati.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/o-line-pass-set-fundamentals-six-man-dropback-protection

10 minutes ago, COB said:

Pollack can only coach what he has, and so far they haven’t been great.  Brown was a huge addition, we need to hit free agency for a starting RT in the worst way.  I don’t want them drafting a youngster and plugging him in.  

I think they most important question they have to ask when looking at RT in the draft is, can this guy clean gutters?

8 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I think they most important question they have to ask when looking at RT in the draft is, can this guy clean gutters?

Ironic timing for you to mention this, Cedric Ogbuehi just fell off the ladder in my side yard and I’m driving him to the ER right now.  Don’t worry, I’m a champion at texting and driving.

• Haha 1