Week 17: Bengals @ Chiefs Game Thread

HoosierCat

2 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Really need to find a way next year to fix this defense not sure how, but they need a bid difference maker. They already paid the LBs and to me have been a disappointment they need people. 

I’m optimistic that a year of development for Dax and Battle will help.

1 hour ago, glasgowbengal said:

To quote Keena Turner in 88, this is a “finesse ass team” that really needs to figure out how to get a nasty attitude and increased physicality going into 24.

Yup reasons I think they lose to the AFC North teams, they just don’t have the bully in them. They built a team that could play the AFC/NFC teams, but not a team that can play in there own division. Look at how they play all the other AFC/NFC teams, but man division games they are getting blown up it seems. Need to fix that this offseason if they want to go anywhere.

Fixing the defense will be huge this offseason even with a healthy Burrow if the Defense can’t stop anybody they will continue to lose the close games.

They are going to need a replacement for Higgins, unless they miracle his ass into a contract that’s reasonable. Chuck and/or Losivas aren’t capable of that task.

Not saying anyone was suggesting that.
Just saying.

That replacement screams draft.

I think it all boils down to what Higgins and his agent want in contract demands.
The WR tag for 2024 is expected to be north or $21 million.
If they want $25 million per year or something higher, I think the tag is a consideration.
If he wants somewhere around the value of the tag, then a long term deal may be feasible.

Looking at Jessie Bates, he wanted somewhere around $17-$18 million per year.
The Bengals wanted to keep him, but not at that number.  The safety tag that year was roughly $12-$13 million.
That's a no brainer use of the tag and they let him walk the next year.

I think Tee is important to what this team does in the future.  Let him go and his replacement becomes a priority.
A solid to above average #2 WR is obviously important in the way the game goes right now, when throwing the ball all over.
If you were to look at the start of the year and the rankings of teams with the best WR duo's, only two of those teams have been eliminated from the playoffs heading into the last week of the season (Bengals and Chargers).  While that list isn't set in stone, 100% consensus, it provides a good look at success when teams have those players.  I love Boyd and would hate to see him anywhere but in Cincinnati, but when it comes to who should get priority, that should be Chase and Higgins.

Tag Higgins.     At the very least you can control when and most importantly were he goes.  

Leave him unrestircted he's gone in the first few hours of FA and it could be to some AFC contender.

Tagging Lamar Jackson drove down his demands and got a deal for the Ravens.   But if they didn't, they at least would have been able to ship out of division/conference.