Week 17: Bengals @ Chiefs Game Thread

HoosierCat

The way I’m looking at it from here on out is whatever happens happens. It was fun for awhile, and I was suprised  they did what they did.

Without there starting QB, there best WR, there best DT, there best CB, and a missing defense coordinator I really can’t see much more happening. 

I’m not calling for a Taylor to be fired, but some games his play calling is just terrible. I wish he would learn the backup QBs are not Burrow, and running the ball is actually a good thing. The defense is not good enough to handle a 3 and out because you throw the ball each down. Really hope he learns to run the ball more come next season

However this defense needs changed bad, Lou has been so terrible this season, there are no difference makers out there, they have no pass rush besides Hendrickson, and these LBs they paid only show up every now and then, and when they don’t they are slow and bad. Not really sure what they will do, but that side is a mess! If Taylor continues to call his offense like he has, and they don’t add any difference makers it will be the same next season. Can only hope the young guys grow up by next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Remember back in the day when we were all praying Jay Gruden would get a HC job? That’s how I feel about Lou this year.

This is how I feel. If you look at the Browns yea they have a huge difference maker on defense, but every year they were terrible. They bring in a guy like Jim Schwartz and all of a sudden they look amazing. Not sure that would happen here, but coaching makes a huge difference! 

• Like 2

So for anyone still harboring postseason hopes, to get back in they would need to win at KC (fat chance) and have Indy, Houston and Pitt all lose.

For those tracking the draft pick, they are at 18, the lowest possible pick you can have without being a playoff team.

Joe Buck “This defense has really taken off, the numbers are incredible since they picked up Roquan Smith from the Bears last season.”

Props to the Ravens for getting a really quality guy mid season.  They gave up Klein, a 2nd, and a 5th.  LB not really a premium position these days but the Ravens seem to make these moves over and over.  

42 minutes ago, COB said:

I can’t tell if the browns’ offense is great, or if the jets forgot how to play defense.  

I don’t know what to make of the Browns, but I will say watching them coaching makes all the difference and it shows with them. They get injuries and they are not afraid to go out and spend money to get some guys to come in and help win. They brought in coaches who turned around guys who under performed.

My biggest gripe with the Bengals, they get injuries, or need that one or two more guys to get over the hump, they refuse to spend the money saying they have the guys in house to do it. Would be nice to see them during the trade deadline get that guy who just might help take them to the next level. 

• Like 1

Browns put 34 on the board in the first half against a good Jets D.  This league is a mystery sometimes.

And you’re right Volcom, teams can aggressively makes moves to get better and I think the Bengals have not been as active in season as a lot of these teams.

I realize they had a true freshman in after Brown went down early, but 3 points ?? It’s not like the weather was bad, they were playing in a dome. They went from having a mediocre QB to not having any. 

Back to the Chiefs. THIS game is truly a “must win” to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. Defeat equals elimination.

Bowl games are taking on a new dimension of strangeness.  Some teams show up in force, some teams show up with depth guys ready to rock after all their good players opt out or hit the portal.  Like is the team we’re watching in the bowl even the same team that played in the regular season?

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 17: Bengals @ Chiefs Game Thread