Week 16 (Saturday 12/23): Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I love me some DJ Reader, but the fact is they were already trash against the run with him. So the silver lining there is that they can’t be much worse. I wouldn’t be opposed to adding someone, though I doubt they will.

Losing Chase hurts, no doubt. Charlie Jones needs to grow up quick. Wouldn’t hurt to find where Irwin has been hiding the last couple weeks either.

Yea not even sure if I heard Irwin’s name last week at all. 

9 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Question for all the big brains here. 

I understand the tie breaker for WC seeding with 3 or more teams is conference record. However, with the Bengals tied with the Colts (7), Texans (8), and Bills (9) why are they ahead of all of them as the current 6 seed? They currently have the worst conference record with those 3 teams. Yet, they are the 6 seed.

Its not worth the effort to try to figure out.   When there is a multi team scrum there are tie breaker steps that involve division standing but the steps revert back to other sets of rules once a team is eliminated from the tie.    So with 4 teams tied for 2 spots there must be some elimination order procedure that puts Cincy in over Houston.

However, it is unlikely these same four 4 teams will be tied AND finish in the same order in their respective division at the end of the season as they are today.

The Bengals will be in with 11 wins.   Entering week 18 with 10 they could have a decision on resting starters. The NFL arranges schedules to make that tougher to do.   Entering week 18 with 9 wins and you'll need help with a loss is my guess.  Entering week 18 with 8 wins there might be some long shot playoff possibility with a loss, and some better chances with a win. 

Jay Morrison above is taking liberties with "needing help"  these games have been played yet.  That's all.      Back in my day we didn't have no fancy computer to easily project scenarios, so we waited until the last week to figure out what was "must win" and who needed help.    Probably the best way to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I love me some DJ Reader, but the fact is they were already trash against the run with him. So the silver lining there is that they can’t be much worse. I wouldn’t be opposed to adding someone, though I doubt they will.

Losing Chase hurts, no doubt. Charlie Jones needs to grow up quick. Wouldn’t hurt to find where Irwin has been hiding the last couple weeks either.

The D-line has not been good against the run for most of the year.   How much worse that gets without Reader is anybodies guess.   The Bengals really need a top notch run blocking effort from their Offensive line this game to protect the Defense from Pittsburgh running the ball.

10 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Well sounds like Chase will miss sometime now as well. Better hope the next WR step up for Browning, or instead of throwing it 40 something a game, start running it 30 times or more, or get that screen game going.

Thing that worries me now, without Reader they are missing that big body inside, and some no name RBs on the Vikings were just gashing them. Really wish they would replace Reader with Suh (who I really don’t like), or the Titans released a big DT and put him on there PS who I think would work as well. I only mention Suh because he wants to play for a contender, and they really need someone.

With all these injuries not sure what will happen, I will say since Burrow went down, I have watched the games like whatever happens happens, and so far they have been really fun to watch. So keep it going this weekend, for once please play your best game against these rivals tired of losing to the division opponents.

Ah, looks like they did try to get the DT from Tennessee but Houston claimed him first.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-claimed-teair-tart-following-dj-reader-injury

Volcom said it - watching these last few games with a whatever happens attitude has been really fun.  I don’t know if it’s the way they’re playing or the no expectations mindset, but it’s one of the most enjoyable stretches of bengals football I’ve watched.  

Playoffs - even if the changes are 33% as I saw on the tube yesterday, it makes the games interesting to have some sort of chance to get in.  

I also enjoy watching the dude on tv try to work through all the permutations, this team loses to that one then this third team has a chance.  Guy’s up there trying to explain what is essentially derivative equations, it gets kind of funny at times.  

The AFC is a marvel this year.  The NFC is a half vacant strip mall.  

• Like 1

A DT early in the draft was always a spot I thought would be addressed anyway, as I didn't expect them to resign Reader.

Tupou looks like the next man up and he's been a solid backup.  I expect Tufele to be a part of the rotation replacing Reader's loss.
Either way, those guys are going to be busy.  I honestly don't think it will be a bad thing when considering what we've seen to this point.

Replacing Ja'Marr is another story, but yes, I would expect more of Irwin and the rookies to make a combined effort to fill that gap.
That and Tanner Hudson has been really efficient with his targets, so incorporate him and screen passes to the RB's to a greater degree.

I've said it a bunch as well.  I went from "Lose them all" to "This is a lot of fun".
I enjoy tracking the other teams in the mix and watching all the games over the weekend.

Really rooting for Browning, who obviously took issue with getting cut by the Vikings and is proving people (me included) wrong.
Good stuff !!!

26 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Really rooting for Browning, who obviously took issue with getting cut by the Vikings and is proving people (me included) wrong.
Good stuff !!!

Maybe our offensive staff saw this coming, but no one else did.

The body of work anyone had on Browning was with all the depth guys running a very base offense in preseason.  It apparently was difficult or impossible for him to show his ability in that situation.  

My opinion of Zac Taylor has improved significantly based on Browning’s development and performance.

I'm hoping all these injuries to key people, yet getting success, helps all see that it's truly not just one guy and they need to be open minded moving forward.
Obviously the o-line has been 100 times better running more screen plays and getting a more balanced offense.  
It seems (I could be wrong) that Burrow has had a lot of influence in how they ran previously.
Maybe they all have their eyes opened and realize how much more efficient Burrow could be if things were more balanced.

Screen plays, moving players around more, and involving more than a few guys, all would help keep opposing defenses from getting comfortable.
Keep mixing it up.  It looks like the players are having fun with all the changes as well.

So from the article posted by Hoosier yesterday, I pulled who we should be rooting for this weekend and some comments:

For a short-term look, here are the Week 16 games and which teams Bengals fans should be rooting for, in order of importance.  First, though, it’s important to note that the Bengals do not control their own destiny yet. There are a couple of scenarios where they could win out to finish 11-6 and still not make the playoffs.  That’s why knowing the rooting interests can be important.

Patriots (3-11) at Broncos (7-7):    Patriots

Jaguars (8-6) at Buccaneers (7-7): Buccaneers

Bills (8-6) at Chargers (5-9):           Chargers

Browns (9-5) at Texans (8-6):         Texans

Colts (8-6) at Falcons (6-8):           Falcons

Raiders (6-8) at Chiefs (9-5):         Raiders

I’ve idly wondered how much of the offensive improvement can be attributed to Burrow in his new role of junior assistant offensive advisor to the head coach. Apparently he has been talking enough to be worried about talking too much, and Zac very publicly said to keep talking, if he wants him to shut up he will tell him.

I can’t recall another example of an injured QB taking this kind of role, though I imagine it’s happened before.

10 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I think that's awesome.  Burrow has to feel good about his involvement with Browning running the team and being given that kind of opportunity.
Again, I just hope he sees what's happening out there when not throwing the ball 3/4's of the offensive plays through a game.

Yup. One thing I’ve found to be true is that “work smarter not harder” is an acquired skill.  I suspect Joe is seeing some alternatives he might not have before.

Burrow is going to want to throw the ball.   Offensive staff is just going to have to make it a point not to allow an entire season go bye without some sort of balance.   Burrow simply can't sustain the hits/pressure that come with the style we've seen.

He was mic'd up at somepoint in 2022.  Chatting with a ref.   Those players when mic'd up are very aware of what they are saying, IMO.   He let it be known during the Titans playoff game, the communications went out and he called the final drive, which he loved.    I'm sure Burrow feels he can't beat any defense at anytime throwing the ball.

Agree that Burrow probably wants to throw the ball every chance he can.  He's one of those guys that wants the ball in his hands.
I like that and trust in his ability, but the it should be VERY apparent what this new found balance could do for him moving forward.
Just use the run to set up his passing opportunities better.  The coaches should be pointing this out for consideration and discussion.
I'm sure that probably happening.  If not, IT NEEDS TO.

I haven't really paid too much attention to the clinching possibilities honestly.

I am just looking forward to Saturday's game.  I've made it known for quite some time that I don't typically watch the Steelers, Bengals games.
I hate that team, their fans, their coach, the color yellow, Penguins, Pirates, and just about anything else about that city.

That being said, I will be watching this weekend.  I hope Browning goes into Pittsburgh and kicks the shit out of them.
Nothing would please me more about this season.  That and watching Tomlin spiral further out of control.

Tomlin will have to come up with some new tough guy metaphors, business school platitudes, and he’ll definitely need some new mirror aviators.  

Also never forget he’s never had a losing season. 

Mason Rudolph legacy game coming up!  George Pickens is reportedly so pumped he’s going to give up to 40% effort.  TJ Watt will take a break from injecting steroids long enough to blindly rush the passer on every down, including run plays.  And of course we’ll see some good old fashioned cheap shot head hunting, good ol’ stiller footbaw!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 16 (Saturday 12/23): Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread