Week 16 (Saturday 12/23): Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread

HoosierCat

Confirmed today that Reader and Ivey are both out for the year.

Ja’Marr day-to-day with a shoulder injury.

Meanwhile, in Pitt they’re finally catching up to something I've been saying for a while: it’s time for Tomlin to go.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-loss-to-colts-another-embarrassment-for-mike-tomlin/

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 16 (Saturday 12/23): Bengals @ Steelers Pregame Thread

We are currently in the 6th slot, the Colts in the 7th, with the Texans and Bills 8th and 9th respectively.
All of us have the same 8-6 record.

The Browns are only a game ahead of us at 9-5 and that is out last game of the season.
That may very well be a "Win or go home" game and we are playing at home, which makes me feel good.

I know they need to focus on this week and beating the Steelers, but I'm thinking they need some help as well.
I simply don't see them going into KC and getting the win.  They might surprise me and the Chiefs might underestimate them, but still.
I'm thinking (hoping) they go 2-1 and get some help along the way.

Browns have:  Texans, Jets, Bengals
Colts have:  Falcons, Raiders, Texans
Texans have:  Browns, Titans, Colts
Bills have:  Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins

It's not inconceivable to think we all go 2-1 over the last 3 weeks and end up in the same spot.
I don't know, but it's going to be fun watching this all unfold !!!

13 hours ago, COB said:

Tomlin can stay as long as he wants.  George Pickens couldn’t care less about football, and Tomlin is cool with that.  Let the spiral continue!

From the article:

The Steelers have a quarterback problem. How much evidence do you need? But Pickett will remain the starter next season.
You’ll be amazed by how little changes with the Steelers this coming offseason.

To that I give a resounding....  GOOD !!!
Yes COB, let the spiral continue.  It's glorious !!!

Andrew Russell
@Andrew_Russell7
·
2h
The real MVPs since Joe Burrow went down (pressure rate allowed w/rank among position since week 12)

Orlando Brown Jr: 6.8% (25th/52)
Cordell Volson: 1.4% (1st/54)
Ted Karras: 2.0% (4th/31)
Alex Cappa: 5.5% (33rd/54)
Jonah Williams: 4.0% (8th/52)

Zero donkeys.

Solid as hell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

We are currently in the 6th slot, the Colts in the 7th, with the Texans and Bills 8th and 9th respectively.
All of us have the same 8-6 record.

The Browns are only a game ahead of us at 9-5 and that is out last game of the season.
That may very well be a "Win or go home" game and we are playing at home, which makes me feel good.

I know they need to focus on this week and beating the Steelers, but I'm thinking they need some help as well.
I simply don't see them going into KC and getting the win.  They might surprise me and the Chiefs might underestimate them, but still.
I'm thinking (hoping) they go 2-1 and get some help along the way.

Browns have:  Texans, Jets, Bengals
Colts have:  Falcons, Raiders, Texans
Texans have:  Browns, Titans, Colts
Bills have:  Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins

It's not inconceivable to think we all go 2-1 over the last 3 weeks and end up in the same spot.
I don't know, but it's going to be fun watching this all unfold !!!

There are also the Steelers and Broncos right behind at 7-7. Obviously if they lose this coming weekend Steelers are right back in it. After us they have Seattle and Baltimore.

Broncos have the Pats this week, then Chargers and Raiders, so 3-0 isn’t impossible there.

Bottom line, Bengals can’t afford any slip-ups.

25 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

There are also the Steelers and Broncos right behind at 7-7. Obviously if they lose this coming weekend Steelers are right back in it. After us they have Seattle and Baltimore.

Broncos have the Pats this week, then Chargers and Raiders, so 3-0 isn’t impossible there.

Bottom line, Bengals can’t afford any slip-ups.

I thought I put the Steeler and Broncos in my post, but it's all good and yes, right behind us.
A loss this weekend won't be a death blow, but that would be an awful big hole to get out of.

The nfl just suspended Steelers starting safety Damontae Kazee for the rest of the season.  So they’ll be missing both starting safeties Saturday.  

Kazee just can’t stop cheap shotting guys.  They’re probably putting him in the Pittsburgh hall of fame right now.  

Minkah out for sure.  Cam Heyward in concussion protocol, so he’s a wait and see guy.

Ja’Marr separated his shoulder yesterday, they tried to MRI it today but he was in so much pain he couldn’t put it in whatever position they needed for the MRI, so he’ll try again tomorrow.   Sounds very unpromising for Saturday.  Though I will say, Ja’Marr’s physicality is freakish.  You never know.

The avalanche of hypocritical self-pitying screeching coming from Steeler nation may reach critical mass before we play them Saturday.  If it does, and sets off a nuclear kablosion, steeler fans will disappear.  Left behind will be some used scratch offs (all losers), unpaid child support notices, Meemaw’s old dentures, and a stadium giveaway terrible towel from 1988.  

• Haha 1

Question for all the big brains here. 

I understand the tie breaker for WC seeding with 3 or more teams is conference record. However, with the Bengals tied with the Colts (7), Texans (8), and Bills (9) why are they ahead of all of them as the current 6 seed? They currently have the worst conference record with those 3 teams. Yet, they are the 6 seed.

21 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

Question for all the big brains here. 

I understand the tie breaker for WC seeding with 3 or more teams is conference record. However, with the Bengals tied with the Colts (7), Texans (8), and Bills (9) why are they ahead of all of them as the current 6 seed? They currently have the worst conference record with those 3 teams. Yet, they are the 6 seed.

Bengals are at 6 ahead of the Colts because of head to head — they beat Indy last week. Indy is ahead of Houston because of head to head. Since the Texans lose versus Indy at 7 their win over us doesn’t come into play at the moment, since they have to win a tiebreaker against the team in the 7 hole before tiebreakers for the 6 seed are applied. Bills are out because they lose conference record vs. Indy.

At least I think that’s it. I’m not asking too many questions!

13 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Bengals are at 6 ahead of the Colts because of head to head — they beat Indy last week. Indy is ahead of Houston because of head to head. Since the Texans lose versus Indy at 7 their win over us doesn’t come into play at the moment, since they have to win a tiebreaker against the team in the 7 hole before tiebreakers for the 6 seed are applied. Bills are out because they lose conference record vs. Indy.

At least I think that’s it. I’m not asking too many questions!

Ah ha! That's it.

Interesting observations as I run the playoff simulator. Assuming we beat the Steelers, lose to Chiefs, and beat the Browns, we really need the Texans, Broncos, and Bills to each lose one game. If any of those teams goes 3-0 we are likely out. So if the Bengals go 2-1 we are likely looking at needing the Dolphins to beat the Bills in the last game week 18.

However, if the Bengals should go 3-0 we would need, in retrospect the Texans to beat the Browns to pretty much lock up the 5 seed. If the Browns win next week against the Texans, and should the Bengals go 3-0 they would very likely lock up a 6 seed regardless of what the Broncos and Bills do. 

If the Bengals lose to the Steelers, they justifiably are pretty much done.

• Like 1

Well sounds like Chase will miss sometime now as well. Better hope the next WR step up for Browning, or instead of throwing it 40 something a game, start running it 30 times or more, or get that screen game going.

Thing that worries me now, without Reader they are missing that big body inside, and some no name RBs on the Vikings were just gashing them. Really wish they would replace Reader with Suh (who I really don’t like), or the Titans released a big DT and put him on there PS who I think would work as well. I only mention Suh because he wants to play for a contender, and they really need someone.

With all these injuries not sure what will happen, I will say since Burrow went down, I have watched the games like whatever happens happens, and so far they have been really fun to watch. So keep it going this weekend, for once please play your best game against these rivals tired of losing to the division opponents.

• Thanks 1

I love me some DJ Reader, but the fact is they were already trash against the run with him. So the silver lining there is that they can’t be much worse. I wouldn’t be opposed to adding someone, though I doubt they will.

Losing Chase hurts, no doubt. Charlie Jones needs to grow up quick. Wouldn’t hurt to find where Irwin has been hiding the last couple weeks either.

6 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Ah ha! That's it.

Interesting observations as I run the playoff simulator. Assuming we beat the Steelers, lose to Chiefs, and beat the Browns, we really need the Texans, Broncos, and Bills to each lose one game. If any of those teams goes 3-0 we are likely out. So if the Bengals go 2-1 we are likely looking at needing the Dolphins to beat the Bills in the last game week 18.

However, if the Bengals should go 3-0 we would need, in retrospect the Texans to beat the Browns to pretty much lock up the 5 seed. If the Browns win next week against the Texans, and should the Bengals go 3-0 they would very likely lock up a 6 seed regardless of what the Broncos and Bills do. 

If the Bengals lose to the Steelers, they justifiably are pretty much done.

Yeah it’s an absolute mess. All they can do is win the game in front of them and hope for the best.

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 16 (Saturday 12/23): Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread