Joe Burrow 5-year extension

Stripes

I am glad New Guy is signed, but.....I dont see this (so far, with what few details we have) as the team friendly deal that will help keep the key three (New Guy, Higgins, and Chase) together longterm

I will look forward to further analysis that may help this deal make sense in this specific respect with what New Guy has been assuring us of all along

just so I am clear, I am happy this got done and I knew it'd be a huge contract.....so no, I am not being a wet blanket.  I just want to understand how the contract fits with Burrow's promise all along

26 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I am glad New Guy is signed, but.....I dont see this (so far, with what few details we have) as the team friendly deal that will help keep the key three (New Guy, Higgins, and Chase) together longterm

I will look forward to further analysis that may help this deal make sense in this specific respect with what New Guy has been assuring us of all along

just so I am clear, I am happy this got done and I knew it'd be a huge contract.....so no, I am not being a wet blanket.  I just want to understand how the contract fits with Burrow's promise all along

Well, for one thing, as far as I can tell from the limited info yet available, calling it a five-year extension is technically accurate, but it’s five years from the end of 2024. This keeps him in stripes through 2029, thus the five years are 2025-2029. The last two years of his existing deal, this year and 2024, will have been reworked as part of this, so as far as spreading out the cap hits and enabling them to sign other players it’s a seven-year deal.  Burrow was already going to count for $40 million or so against the cap in 2023-24 and by the time we get to ‘25 the cap will probably be over $300 million. I’m interested in the details too but I don’t see a big issue so far with keeping the core. Will we lose some guys? Probably, can’t pay everyone. But so far I think they’ll be ok.

4 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think Chase is still secure. Higgins isn't out of reach, but he'll be difficult with his agent. Reader might be the casualty down the road.

I guarantee they extend Chase, especially now. Re Reader, yeah, I can see it coming down to pick one: him or Tee. Reader might have an edge due to them having more potential talent at WR than NT.

The reality is tee is probably gone, but that has nothing to do with the details of Burrow’s contract as much as it does with chase being here. You really can’t pay two tip of market contracts at WR and not take massive hits elsewhere on the roster. 

chase will get paid. 

tag and trade after the season is over most likely outcome. And one that makes sense to me. 

• Thanks 1

I still think they keep Tee Higgins for a few years but where you trim to keep Tee is the issue .  You probably don’t see Trey Hendrickson on the team in 2025… I think that’s his current last contracted year.  Maybe Reader gets a restructured long-term deal that is team friendly… obviously they save money right now on tightends and safeties.  And their defensive line backups are all cheap as are their backup running backs.  Personally, I think it’s a tough decision… is having Higgins worth losing the players in the groups mentioned? The answer in hindsight of a couple Super Bowl wins , is YES of course …. But ….

I'd slow your roll on losing Tee.  I'm confident Bengals will put an offer on the table that will be tough to pass up.  

1st - they view WR as impact/franchise position.

2nd - they view Tee as an elite player at that position.

It will come down to whether or not Tee wants to try to beat it, in offseason 2025 because he's gonna get the tag.   I'd wait for the structure of the Burrow deal.   I don't see the Tee situation like Bates were the basically say they don't want to sink that much money into that position.   I think they value WR position and Tee to use the tag AND to put a top market offer out there.  

Then as the Bengals operate.  If Tee don't want to play ball then that money will go to some other Bengals willing to deal. 

• Like 1

I say it absolutely worth trying to keep Tee no matter cap costs.    People always run out current Superbowl Champ didn't have............   That shit changes like the wind.

IMO, it really comes down to whoever gets the money bag will have to play at a championship level.   Then up to front office to back fill quality.  If they don't pay Tee, fine.  Pay Chase but FO will need to find a replacement for Tee.   Then whoever or whatever combo of players that gets Tee's money will need to deliver.

Unfortunately recent History once they dump money into Dalton.  They were horrible at drafting replacement O-line.   Then defense got old, fat, and self absorbed.

Alas rival fan bases relishing the demise of the Bengals after this deal because Mike Brown is cheap.   Weird thought process.

Mike Brown was a cheap ass in the 90s before PBS became a reality.     I don't know what you would describe him as post Marvin Lewis.  However they are still a 0 championship front office but they have moved up in the top half of franchise post Marvin.   Yesterday more proof.

1. Palmer (Hobson reminded me) was the highest paid player at one point - 2 division champs

2. Dalton - signed a big but team friendly deal with incentives - 2 division champs

3. Burrow - highest paid 2 division champs,  1 AFC Champ, 1 AFC runner up.

I don't know if Mike Brown ever sees the top of the mountain, however it won't be because of cheapness.  

The rest of AFC North is simply going to have to deal with a very competitive Bengals franchise for the next decade like the previous decade before.  The Bengals will probably win the North more times than any other AFC North team the next 10 years.  Just the way it is now.

Tee's agent being David Mulaghetta, same agent as Bates, is part of why I think he is gone. Mulaghetta is big on guarantees, and while they broke structure to accommodate Burrow, I don't think they want to break structure to accommodate Tee.

I am happy to be wrong, but I have thought for awhile that tag and trade is where this going. What I don't want is tag-and-he-plays-it-out like Bates did and we get nothing.

And...they will need to save for Chase. I am not sure you can pay 2 WRs absolute top dollar and still have a reasonable roster elsewhere. And...Chase is not going anywhere, they will pay him after this year when he comes due.