Report: Bengals Plan to PayJoe This Offseason

HoosierCat

If what Chase is saying is true - that Joe not only understand the value of keeping his other weapons paid but is also willing to do what it takes to make that happen - I am thrilled beyond words

I think pretty much all great players understand that they cant take all the money if they want to win because then the players around them will be lesser

but I also think that very damn few of them are willing take less and/or to work with their team to ensure that they arent the only good player left on the field

Most players are like Bates.....they say they want a great team around them but arent willing to take less to ensure that happens

I see better than I hear

While I want a team friendly deal for Burrow, I want that for all players. Burrow deserves whatever they agree upon and maybe more considering the team. We went from 2-14 and happy to make the post season, to expecting to be contending for the Super Bowl each season. That’s worth a lot to me because this shit is fun !!

Here’s my thing with Bates. It appears that he just lacks self awareness to the situation. He’s great friends with everyone here, has had great success in this scheme, and wants to stay. However he has said multiple times he can’t leave 10 million on the table. Ok, well how much can you leave on the table? What is worth not having to start over with new everything and risk not being in contention? The career earnings have been well documented. 

13 hours ago, Stripes said:

Perhaps Joe smells a decade of uninterrupted Super Bowl contention and knows what it'll take.

I'll temper my expectations though. He's justified to ask for a bag if he wants to.

He will get the bag, and the Bengals won’t lose anyone key as a result. 

10 hours ago, COB said:

The bengals took bates at his word and drafted his replacement.  I doubt the bengals will be in the top 5 bidders for Jessie Bates.  He’s gone.

It does seem like that, doesn’t it? If they do resign Bates, I’d have to wonder if they think Dax was a mistake.

I would guess the Bates stuff is just agent talk at this point.    There's a decent pool of names in the FA pool already before pre FA cuts.       The draft class appears to be deep.   For example Sydney Brown stamped himself as possible rookie starter at the Senior Bowl has generally been ranked 5th in the draft class. 

If Bates has his eyes set on 18-20m a year he better be off that market as soon as the bell rings.   My guess is money for Safeties drys up quick.

30 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It does seem like that, doesn’t it? If they do resign Bates, I’d have to wonder if they think Dax was a mistake.

I don't know.  I wish he would have made more of an impact on the defense but honestly their secondary was playing very well even after the Chido loss.    So its not like they were scrubs and couldn't find playing time.    I think IF Bates/Bengals pull the shocker then its Dax and Bates as the safety tandem.   Bell would be out. 

Although,  I think they are going to get a decent deal on Bell and then work hard on Pratt.     You maybe could get both done for the $15M (????) it will take to get Bates.   I don't see the Bengals all of sudden paying top of the market for Bates so for it to happen would have to go middle ground. 

• Like 1

I may be the only one not down on Dax Hill. S /DB in LouA's system is hard.  I thought Hill came along well and is positioned to be a piece going forward. Not every rookie has to make a splash in their first year - some need time to learn the system etc. Like...say...Pratt. Or Wilson 

11 hours ago, COB said:

The bengals took bates at his word and drafted his replacement.  I doubt the bengals will be in the top 5 bidders for Jessie Bates.  He’s gone.

yep, he basically made his bed before the draft last year

sad but true

then again, Dax hasnt shown me anything to get excited about yet albeit he's had very limited opportunities......so if Bates were to walk up and say "ya know, on second thought, I could take less......" I'd absolutely listen and see whether something could be worked out, because this D is a whole lot better with him in it than not

On 2/9/2023 at 8:27 AM, membengal said:

I may be the only one not down on Dax Hill. S /DB in LouA's system is hard.  I thought Hill came along well and is positioned to be a piece going forward. Not every rookie has to make a splash in their first year - some need time to learn the system etc. Like...say...Pratt. Or Wilson 

Not down on him, but if they were to reverse course and keep Bates, I have to raise an eyebrow. Ultimately I think Amphar is right, it's most likely the Bates camp trying to talk up his price tag after a rather pedestrian year from him. We will find out one way or another soon enough.

Just goes to show how uncertain things are from one season to the next.

Here's a thought I have regarding Burrow's contract...
While I want him to sign a "Team Friendly" deal and understand that would free up at least some money to keep other players, there's no real certainty in that... right?
I mean, what if he takes less, but another player (I'll use Higgins, AS EXAMPLE ONLY) says, "Fuck it, I want the bank" and the team lets him walk?
Don't get me wrong, I still want the team to have some operational wiggle room, but it certainly doesn't guarantee anything.
The bonus I think is that both Chase and Higgins WANT to be here and play with Burrow.

Oh and for the love of God, that stupid made up report about the Bengals possibly trading Higgins needs to be squashed hard.
I don't want there to be any doubt placed in a player's mind about him being wanted here.
That's the kind of nonsense that puts an ill taste in their mouth.

Team friendly = ownership friendly. That’s the only real question, will Joe play by Mike’s rules regarding structure.

Money is not an issue. People seem to have forgotten that they once made Carson Palmer the highest paid player in the league and didn’t need to gut the team to do it.

They gave Andy $100 million on a 6 year deal.  The bengals are far from cheap.  To be fair though, uninformed nfl fans still think they’re cheap.  And even for those of us who know they aren’t cheap,  it is still fun to make jokes about them being cheap.  We all do it.  Lumina.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Schefter:

Eagles and Jalen Hurts reached agreement on a five-year, $255 million extension, including $179.304 million guaranteed, per source. Hurts becomes the highest-paid player in NFL history in a deal negotiated by Nicole Lynn of Klutch Sports Group and Eagles’ GM Howie Roseman. 

Yup.

The Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Jalen Hurts have reached agreement on a five-year, $255 million extension, including $179.304 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

Hurts' deal is the biggest total contract in NFL history, besting Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract signed last year with the Cleveland Browns. Watson's contract, however, is fully guaranteed.

Hurts extension includes a no-trade clause -- a first in Eagles history, a source told Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36214854/source-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-agree-255m-deal

2023: $6.15 million 2024: $13.56 million 2025: $21.77 million 2026: $31.77 million

Reported cap hits of the Hurts deal.   Cap gymnastics is more important than total dollar amount of the deal.    Eagles have 4 seasons of a franchise QB in which the cap hit doesn't come close to the annual average.   By the time the 2027 off season rolls around the cap could be over $300m.  The Eagles have an MVP worthy Qb on their roster only taking up that much cap.     In comparison Dak takes up $26.8 and a whopping $59m next year.     This deal was a huge win for the Eagles, IMO. 

All you here from media and rival fans is the dire circumstance of Burrow's contract and how it will destroy the bengals roster.   Nope.   KC did similar things.    Joe Burrow is already ear marked for cap hits through $11.5 and $29.5 for the next two seasons.     Its up to the Bengals on how they want to structure.   Joe is going to get paid alot of money but the Bengals could even see immediate cap savings in the short term pending on how they do it.   We'll see what they do but a message to rival fans they may have been hopeful paying Joe means losing Higgins or Chase.  Probably not, the only way those two aren't on the team is if the brain trust elects to build the team in a different manner. 

Deshaun Watson is basically $19m this year and $64m to the end of the deal.  Every offseason the Browns are going to be stuck reworking that deal in their cap to maintain a team.    Watson is a decent QB or once was but if he doesn't pan out there is not an easy way to get out of that deal.