Week 8: Bengals @ Browns (MNF)

HoosierCat

This has to be one of the most significant failures I have seen since Burrow was drafted. Either he is not as good as we all think he is or Zac is completely in over his head with play calling. Maybe a combination of both. Go ahead and flame that comment all you like.  Totally inexcusable to lose this game. 

You can’t call yourself a contender and do what we saw tonight. Well, at least what I saw until I stopped watching. While I didn’t rake leaves in the dark, I managed to help the Mrs. and got two loads of laundry done. That was FAR more productive than what the Bengals showed tonight.

There really is not much excitement to this team for me at this point.  Losses to Trubiskey, Rush, and now Brissett are about as much as I can tolerate. Just completely fucked.

That was an absolute disgrace 

Miss FGs and PATs, shanked punts, 5 sacks, 36 yds rushing, 12 men numerous times, guys running free all over the secondary,  Jacoby fucking Brisset with 134 QBR.

That’s up there with the absolute worst that Marvin’s teams shat out in prime time. A lot of people should  to be having a long hard look at themselves in the mirror today. 

My take:

Run D -  Personally I thought there were plenty of wins vs. the Cleveland front in the run game.    Without any offensive threat that allowed the Cleveland play calling to achieve volume  along with some very bad 3rd down conversions.

3rd down - secondary.   Poor effort.   Brisset looked like Manning out there.   With no scoring from offense.  Bad 3rd downs just allowed Cleveland to reload the rushing game.

Burrow/Higgins -  Can't be MIA for that long.   There was a critical 3rd and short in the first half.   That needed to be a first instead it was punt.

The biggest fault, IMO.   The offensive line starting with Jonah Williams.   Sorry I was hopeful at one point he would blossom to another level but you simply can't pay this guy top half money and you can't build around an inconsistent mid tier LT.  Needs to be gone IF things don't change and I doubt they will.   The entire line really is bad.  Whenever there is an elite rusher they can't slow them down at all.    Zero push in the run game is the most damaging IMO.

Really it is time to send Pollack packing.   Also cut ties with any left over O-line scouts like Alexander and McNally.   Either you are drafting guys that can't play or not developing talent.   Either way the O-line is the biggest flop.

Zac/OC - time for a change here.   Can't go completely in the hole against a team that would just love to get a lead and run the ball. 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I get that winning solves everything but until they can do that on a consistent basis, they are deserving of all the bullshit I hope they take.

Cute outfit though Joe !!

Yea and especially against they should beat, so many years now they lays eggs against a teams they should beat so annoying. 

Browns DE didn't really seem interested in setting an edge in the run game.    Maybe that is something they should have tried to exploit early on with some counter trey action out of shotgun.   

I'm not sure screens or whatever would have worked early without slowing the ends in the run game.    The inability of this line to win against a light box in the run game is a big problem across all 5 starters and RBs.  Whether it be under center or out of shotgun. 

Couldn’t speak in this game or this team as of yet … But Jonah Williams …. Man … he was exposed for the terrible talent he is against top competition.  Never found Mixon to be more than a slash runner but if you can’t find a hole or make one… going nowhere in this league.  The real issue he has is pass protection.  The whole offense is downgraded because he can’t be the Gio Bernard we all hoped he was.  Now Mix has some moves in the open field and some speed and is good in the pass  catching game as far as swings and etc go … still NOT enough. 

really those two players are dragging this whole offense down.  I think the RPOs are awesome but they are proof that the team can’t line up and run.  If you can’t get your back to pass protect in spread and shotgun then just go empty… and wait for the Myles Garrets of the world to break your QB.  

La’el Collins also got owned more than once.  Believe he is playing with injuries he doesn’t even let on to.  

I’ve not seen the Bengals dictate with the run for so long… it may have even been in the Ced benson days… that’s how bad this team has been at balance , and a lot of that I put on Taylor … but also bring front office for not getting guys like a Zeitler in FA, trusting that their draft and other cheaper pick ups will work.  The Browns won that game with their lines and it wasn’t even close.  Shame on you Bengals.

1 minute ago, GapControl said:

Couldn’t speak in this game or this team as of yet … But Jonah Williams …. Man … he was exposed for the terrible talent he is against top competition.  Never found Mixon to be more than a slash runner but if you can’t find a hole or make one… going nowhere in this league.  The real issue he has is pass protection.  The whole offense is downgraded because he can’t be the Gio Bernard we all hoped he was.  Now Mix has some moves in the open field and some speed and is good in the pass  catching game as far as swings and etc go … still NOT enough. 

really those two players are dragging this whole offense down.  I think the RPOs are awesome but they are proof that the team can’t line up and run.  If you can’t get your back to pass protect in spread and shotgun then just go empty… and wait for the Myles Garrets of the world to break your QB.  

La’el Collins also got owned more than once.  Believe he is playing with injuries he doesn’t even let on to.  

I’ve not seen the Bengals dictate with the run for so long… it may have even been in the Ced benson days… that’s how bad this team has been at balance , and a lot of that I put on Taylor … but also bring front office for not getting guys like a Zeitler in FA, trusting that their draft and other cheaper pick ups will work.  The Browns won that game with their lines and it wasn’t even close.  Shame on you Bengals.

PS been to every home game but one this year … will be there on Sunday again … I’m in therapy for masochism …