Week 3 2021 - Bengals at Steelers Game Thread

membengal

17 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

* Pitt missing both of their best pass rushers, and only 18 drop backs, it's not a bad thing of course, but need to see it against good fronts and not look like last week.  

they still had Heyward against a rookie at RG and Ingram...

It's impressive. 

Seeing JoeB back to more normal in terms of awareness of pressure and sliding to avoid hits and keep plays alive was fantastic to see. Even better was seeing his confidence in the knee to audible to the QB draw (and, btw, great block downfield from Chase on that one)...

27 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

* Pitt missing both of their best pass rushers, and only 18 drop backs, it's not a bad thing of course, but need to see it against good fronts and not look like last week.  

True, but like everything else being good when you’re supposed to be good is the first step. 

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

Seeing JoeB back to more normal in terms of awareness of pressure and sliding to avoid hits and keep plays alive was fantastic to see. Even better was seeing his confidence in the knee to audible to the QB draw (and, btw, great block downfield from Chase on that one)...

Yeah it feels like they finally took the training wheels off this week. Bit ‘em early but I’d rather take shots at the start and miss than have to ball out in a come from behind type effort at the end. This win was a much needed confidence builder for the offense.

Until today...

The last time the Bengals played the Steelers and didn’t allow a sack was in 2013.

The last time the Bengals went to Pittsburgh and didn’t allow a sack was in 1995.

---The Athletic (Morrison)

• Like 1

Wow, I finally tune into watch a Steelers game and I see a professional team.  Not a bunch of babies letting their emotions get the best of them.
That is something you just didn't see in this game with Melvin as the coach.  They were always outclassed on top of always losing.
If nothing else, I really enjoyed seeing the team act like pros out there in the process !!

Burrow getting more confidence in his knee is a HUGE plus and confirms what I thought in that it's simply going to take time.
The more his confidence grows in his knee, the more we are going to see him get back to his former self.

Logan Wilson has been  fun to watch out there and is it just me or every time Pratt is close to the ball he goes for the strip.
I love seeing the aggression out of him and have to think sooner or later that's going to pay off for the defense even more.

I can recall watching the game highlights of Burrow leading up to us taking him #1 overall and every time he threw one to Chase, I would think how cool it would be if the Bengals ended up getting him as well.  I simply never thought it would happen because I felt they were so locked in to getting o-line with that first pick.  Seeing the two of them lighting things up to start the season has been really fun.

Carman Jackson had an amazing first start from what I watched and I really focused in on him.  It will be interesting to see how he grades out, but I don't even care.  The results speak for themselves.  On at least 2-3 occasions I watched him engage his opponent and once his guy was out of the play, slide over to help either Hopkins or Reiff with their assignment.  It was really impressive to see that kind of awareness out of the rookie in his first NFL start and at a new position.  Really hoping they don't make the mistake of putting one of those other clowns back in and benching him moving forward.  He's going to make mistakes, just let it happen, because I'm betting you are going to see more good than bad.

I think Hoosier may have said it previously, but CB has to be in play for their first round pick in 2022.  Eli Apple getting thrown out there is just ridiculous.  The other CB's on the roster really don't do much to inspire me either.

Yes, the Bears loss bugs me still.  That was a winnable game and you simply can't give games up like that.  Everything about that game bothered me.  I hated the game plan and I hated that the players seemingly were sleep walking for what appeared like the majority of the game.  Glad they were able to put that in the rearview, but that was not good.

Still so happy to get ANY Steelers game victory.  Just makes Monday so much better !!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Wow, I finally tune into watch a Steelers game and I see a professional team.  Not a bunch of babies letting their emotions get the best of them.
That is something you just didn't see in this game with Melvin as the coach.  They were always outclassed on top of always losing.
If nothing else, I really enjoyed seeing the team act like pros out there in the process !!

Burrow getting more confidence in his knee is a HUGE plus and confirms what I thought in that it's simply going to take time.
The more his confidence grows in his knee, the more we are going to see him get back to his former self.

Logan Wilson has been  fun to watch out there and is it just me or every time Pratt is close to the ball he goes for the strip.
I love seeing the aggression out of him and have to think sooner or later that's going to pay off for the defense even more.

I can recall watching the game highlights of Burrow leading up to us taking him #1 overall and every time he threw one to Chase, I would think how cool it would be if the Bengals ended up getting him as well.  I simply never thought it would happen because I felt they were so locked in to getting o-line with that first pick.  Seeing the two of them lighting things up to start the season has been really fun.

Carman Jackson had an amazing first start from what I watched and I really focused in on him.  It will be interesting to see how he grades out, but I don't even care.  The results speak for themselves.  On at least 2-3 occasions I watched him engage his opponent and once his guy was out of the play, slide over to help either Hopkins or Reiff with their assignment.  It was really impressive to see that kind of awareness out of the rookie in his first NFL start and at a new position.  Really hoping they don't make the mistake of putting one of those other clowns back in and benching him moving forward.  He's going to make mistakes, just let it happen, because I'm betting you are going to see more good than bad.

I think Hoosier may have said it previously, but CB has to be in play for their first round pick in 2022.  Eli Apple getting thrown out there is just ridiculous.  The other CB's on the roster really don't do much to inspire me either.

Yes, the Bears loss bugs me still.  That was a winnable game and you simply can't give games up like that.  Everything about that game bothered me.  I hated the game plan and I hated that the players seemingly were sleep walking for what appeared like the majority of the game.  Glad they were able to put that in the rearview, but that was not good.

Still so happy to get ANY Steelers game victory.  Just makes Monday so much better !!

Amen Army!!!!!!

Having had some time to reflect...

---Hidden big deal? Only 44 offensive plays. Means offense at least will be as fresh as you could hope for on the short week and relatively less beat up.
---Logan Wilson...if he is becoming THE man in the middle of the defense as a counterpart to Burrow on offense, this team's trajectory will be quite high for a long time. We haven't had a guy like Wilson there (with his ball skills) in a long time. Not sure I recall one, really. Maybe Jim Leclair (I am old).
---The offensive line opening up running lanes for Mixon - and on the right side - was as good an endorsement of Carman getting more run as anything.
---The extra burst that Chase showed on the TD to end the first half was shocking. Like, I know he's fast, but...he's also real world football fast. That shit translates. And he's still just 21 and learning the ropes. He's everything I hoped for when I was advocating so hard for him.
---Seeing Burrow trust his knee enough to maneuver the pocket to avoid the infrequent pressure AND trust himself enough to audible to the QB draw was as good a sign for the rest of this season as anything in that game.
---Have a start to the season, LouA. For as shitty as it has looked for two years, at least it appears he had a plan. That is as good a three games of D as we have seen here since Zim's heydey. And, in hindsight, the lockdown they put on Minnesota for most of that game appears even better, given what the Vikings have done since.

PS - Army - yup, Pratt goes after the ball like a madman. If you watch the D, a LOT of them do now - Bell had the strip and an almost recovery late in that game. They are all tackling the ball carrier AND the ball nowadays in a way that looks more like what the Ravens do...

• Like 1