Official Bengals Ring of Honor coming to PBS

COB

If I'm voting on this honor (I'm not), it would look something like this:

QB Boomer Esiason- Should be a no brainer honestly
WR Chad Johnson- Curtis is in, so if there has to be another WR, Chad is next
NT Tim Krumrie- Still thought to be the best DT in Bengals history
CB Lamar Parrish- His 6 pro bowls are still 2nd best in team history, back when pro bowls were legit
RB Corey Dillon-  Single player worth cheering for during the 90's.  Shame the team sucked around him
S David Fulcher- One of the most intimidating safeties in the game.  17 INT's over a 3 year span

Those would be my next guys, but could easily see someone making the argument for other guys like Collinsworth, who I should at least have on the list above, Pickens, and Holman.

As mentioned above Curtis inspired a significant rule change.    Using that same logic Boomer should be in with the first class hands down.    Now Boomer had help because Sam Wyche was the driving force behind it, but Boomer made it work and it was revolutionary.  Calling plays at the line. Sugar huddles.      All these substitution rules are because of Sam and Boomer running that offense.    Rules like your subs have to exit the field between the 20s.  Can't have more than 11 people in the huddle. Equal subs.   Every Bengal fan knows Jim Kelly and Marv Levy stole the credit for hurry up offense.   But Sam and Boomer had so much success with it, opposing teams went to league office to slow it down.

Fulcher while not inspiring any rule changes.   Fulcher was the primary piece in LeBeau being the first D-Coord to focus an entire defensive scheme around fire/zone blitzes.   LeBeau basically took a niche blitz stunt that existed for a while and made a whole concept out of it.  LeBeau really ramped it up with Fulcher when Warren Moon's run and shoot relied on pre snap count of players in the box.   LeBeau would drop Fulcher down then drop Krumrie or David Grant (or whoever) into coverage.  This eventually was perfected in Pittsburgh.

Fulcher and Boomer for brief periods flirted with being among the best in the NFL at their respective positions.   Fulcher and Ken Easley were considered the top AFC Safeties along with Ronnie Lott in the NFC.

Fulcher also had a career run in the 1988 playoffs.  His stat lines were excellent and is big reason why they won the AFC.   I'd say its on par with Jessie Bates 2021 playoff run.

The success of Kenny, Boomer, and Fulcher with coaches like Paul Brown, Walsh, Wyche, and LeBeau took schematic innovations from cute little trend to league wide influences for decades that have their finger prints on so many HOF careers and championships.

The difference can be seen in things like the Run and Shoot.   It had its wildly successful days.  But those days were limited because the players/coaches overseeing the scheme had limitations.   Thus the run and shoot was more of a fad when compared to West Coast Offense. 

If Kenny/Walsh then later Montana could only produce offensive numbers and flame out then that scheme dies out as fad.   Boomer/Wyche and then Jim Kelly same thing.  Hurry up offense was a cut fad not something you want to use Peyton Manning to do. 

• 1 month later...

Corey Dillon = mad.     I think Corey is just being Corey rambling/ranting about things without logic.

He deserves induction at some point.  I wouldn't agree entirely with the season ticket holder results (I would have had the other MVP;Boomer already in).    Dillon hasn't been snubbed, IMO.   

Hall of Fame's are marketing tools.   The benefits of the Bengals doing the ROH are being seen every off season.   This morning due to Corey's rants; I heard a case made by some talking head on a national show make the case for him to be in the NFL HOF.  

Bengals elected to tie induction to annual season ticket benefits over doing 1 huge induction.   Its just going to take some time, Corey.   Corey has the stats to be the best RB in franchise history.   But is he more deserving than Brooks just based on that?  By virtue of being on a better teams Brooks/Ickey/Pete Johnson had more impact on the franchise in key games.  Ickey still to this day is a culture ICON.    Just a matter what you think the ROH should be about.

I saw that Corey Dillon came out of hiding and spouted off about the Bengals.
From the clips I read, he's upset he's not in the Bengals Ring of Honor yet. While I believe he should absolutely be in the Ring of Honor, I would not have put him in before any of the 6 currently in there.  His time will come, so him finding something to be pissed off about is humorous to me.  Settle down there Corey, no need to be a douchebag about an honor that will come.

Next, he took issue with having the fans voting on who gets into the ROH.  While I could see this being a potential issue, the fans don't select who gets on the ballot, they just get to pick from the players and coaches given to them to choose from.  If he doesn't like that aspect of it, he's bitching at the wrong people.

Bottomline for me is that Corey will have his day and most certainly should.  He's more than worthy.
However, him just shutting the fuck up and not being a complete douchebag would be helpful.

• Like 2

He'll get there eventually if he doesn't continue harming his own candidacy. There's also a weird movement recently to paint him as some kind of obvious, irrefutable top five Bengal ever. While I would say he has a case, it's not clear-cut at all. I'd personally have him behind:

Munoz, Parrish, Riley, Chad, Atkins, Willie --> that's already 7th at best. Then it'd be tough with folks like Curtis, Kenny, Whitworth, etc. There are a lot of great Bengals, and Dillon is just one of them.

• Like 1

Dillon is the Bengals all time leading rusher for yards and #3 in rushing touchdowns. Absolute Ring of Honor in my opinion.  However, that in and of itself does not make him a top 5 Bengal of all time. 

I liked him better when no one heard from him. He’s the guy deserving of all the accolades that you hate.

Put him in so he can go away…

Bengals haven't done anything wrong.   They elected to not do a major induction to catch up the ROH.

Corey has the stats to probably be a top 5 Bengal.    IMO, he doesn't have the "big game" memories to be a top 5 Bengal.  Maybe Patriot.  Not entirely his fault as most of his Bengal teams were crap.  

Cincinnati as a sports town has its roots in baseball.  Baseball's HOF is very stats and stat milestone focused.   Thus a lot of opinion makers in Cincinnati focus on stats.

For me, my top Bengals are going to have stats but also have to factor in memories.   Dillon to his credit created his memorable games on his own but in the grand scheme of things those games meant very little in the standings/playoff runs.  He was jaded by the time Marvin got here and even in 2003 it was Rudi making memories over Dillon when that team challenged for the AFC North beating Ravens, Steelers, Undefeated KC etc.  Rudi churning out tough yards in the snow vs. SF.  Dillon could have been the focus of that team and the 2005 AFC North champ team.   Didn't want to, didn't believe.   Same with Takeo.  Takeo went his whole career not making playoffs after leaving a playoff bound Bengal squad.

To expand - I am grateful for the good times Corey brought but he left like an asshole and is being an asshole anew. I reject his bringing bad vibes into the fanbase from the before time. 

• Like 1

Back then - “this place sucks I’ll do anything to leave.  I’d rather flip burgers than play here.”

Now - “love me, honor me, I did so much for Cinci.”

Fuck it.  Sometimes we get put in unfair circumstances.  Once you run your mouth to a certain degree, you can’t undo it.  There’s a price.

• Like 1