Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

Appears both Willis and Justin Smith are calling it a career.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/patrick-willis-justin-smith-retiring-from-49ers/

I think the joke aspect has been the "talks but no signing" 3-day period. The league front office is whining about terms leaking out but it was inevitable. Add in that some teams like Oakland ar so far below the salary floor they have to give out stupid money deals to homeless bums around town and you've go all the ingredients for a circus.

The 3 day window of "legal tampering" doesn't help cut down on the rumors or silliness either.

Teams can start making moves knowing they have those 3 days and it all looks and feels scatterbrained to me.

Hoyer and Mallett are apparently going to be in Houston this coming year as well.

I think Cleveland just got a little worse, if that was possible.

@christomasson: I'm told Vikings are making a strong push for free-agent guard Clint Boling. He played the past 4 years for Cincinnati, 3 with Zimmer there.

@christomasson: Among many teams also very interested in Clint Boling: New York Jets, Atlanta Falcons and of course Cincinnati Bengals.

So long.

Farewell.

Auf Wiedersehen.

Goodnight.

Thus another FA period has arrived wth an empty thud. Overpaying for FNR, lock up our kicker and tender a barely above average cover backer...allowing a barely passable cb to keep his elite dollar contract... How is this possible... Nothing gonna change.

Didn't improve the pass rush, didn't address depth anywhere, and did not see any "change" that ML promised... Simply put, weak sauce lip service for a team that needs help.

Yep goodbye Boiling, and now with Pollack gone, good luck at guard

Cmon, there's quite a few r5-7 LGs in the draft they can roll our there to start. Great for our run game and protecting Dalron. Great. ... It's amateur hour down at PBS.

Thus another FA period has arrived wth an empty thud. Overpaying for FNR, lock up our kicker and tender a barely above average cover backer...allowing a barely passable cb to keep his elite dollar contract... How is this possible... Nothing gonna change.

Didn't improve the pass rush, didn't address depth anywhere, and did not see any "change" that ML promised... Simply put, weak sauce lip service for a team that needs help.

I'll wait and see what the next few days bring, I'm just hoping something good happens. I'm not holding my breath though

Can we just re-cap where we are since the end of the season (would be grateful for correction/insertion folks thumbsup3.gif)

Gone:

Newman, Geathers, Little, Pollak

On the way out:

Newhouse, Gresham

Staying put:

Maualuga, Nugent

Vance Joseph (for the time being)

Added:

Questionable:

Lamur (tendered)

Hall (cap casualty)

Boling (Bengals not likely not to meet market value)

Still (upgrade)

Tate (upgrade)

Taylor Mays also apparently on the way out.

Tate isn't expected to be re-signed but you never know. I could see him back if things don't fall the way they want.

Still (RFA) was not even tendered as far as I know so I would say he is gone.

If Boling is gone, no play is made for iupati then I one can only interpret these inactions to mean the team is just not willing to step up.

My be they are crossing their fingers that TB will dump Michael Johnson and they can bring him back... ? It'snot a real "plan", as far s plans go.

If nothing is done to address Hall and him being paid more than double eht he is worth, then, gin, the front office is just not serious bout crafting thr roster intosomthing improved.

Dang, seems so lme tht there isn't but tiny bit of effort to deal with FNR, Lamur, and the Nuge. Nothing to address the TE spot, no WR in theirs sights... In essence, nothing is afoot. Lay and incompetent.

needs:

LG Boling or maybe Iupati, once in house depth is crap...

LB depth:Hawk would be nice but unlikely. LNR is solid but not a starter, other have potential but hav Health questions. Saint just dumped Curtis Lofton, so he might be A better fit than Hawk.

DT and DES... Dwindling options... hardy would b great but for he is a mental case. My gut says they re biding time till MJ is cut so they can snatch him up. Have to think Peko isa possible cp casualty. Love the guy but it feels like his rime is up. And the other depth is shaky, still and Thompson... Blah.

TE/WR plenty of options but fells like no one is being looked at.

Cut Hall iif he won't redo his deal. They have Dennard and Kirk ready to step up. Taking nother decent cb is likely anyways but they can field a vey solid defensive backfield even without Hall. Or grbab a Vet CB for less than half of Halls deal. Maybe a guy like Kyle Wilson from thr jets ( got a bad rap in the Ryan defense but needs. New environment). Cn be had for 20% of Halls deal.

I like Calyborn as a 4-3DE, can also slide inside, kind of like Gilberry but younger. How can they not even entertain a guy like Cole?

Just keep it sitting on your checkbook, Katie.... It's SO HARD to to do NOTHING!

This from Dehner...

@pauldehnerjr: MT @ByTimGraham: A blip among big names, but Bills TE Lee Smith expected to sign big contract w/ another team tomorrow.// A top blocking TE

Don't know if he's implying it might be Cincy. But I can't see them spending "big" on a blocking TE. Still there it is.

This from Dehner...

@pauldehnerjr: MT @ByTimGraham: A blip among big names, but Bills TE Lee Smith expected to sign big contract w/ another team tomorrow.// A top blocking TE

Don't know if he's implying it might be Cincy. But I can't see them spending "big" on a blocking TE. Still there it is.

Who? Really your going to spend big money on a blocking TE, sorry but I hope not.

Spend money on a top free agent pass rusher, please call Trent Cole now!

Call for a vet WR I like the idea of Johnson, give him a call.

Also better look for a new Guard now

I see this paying out as a massive dereliction of duties. Just doing the pure minimum to handle the business and contracts right in front of hem (like FNR and Lamur, and Nuge), while doing zero to improve the roster beyond the draft.

It all feels especially wasteful. Considering the kind of talent that is out there, and the amount of cap space they have at their disposal. C'mon you lumps in the front office, do your jobs!!!!

Thye could generate some real fan enthusiasm by doing just doing some basic stuff... No one expects them to flip the league on its head but at least go after a player or two in areas of need, like DE or WR/TE.. ya know?

I hear ya, willy. And maybe they'll stun us with some moves on the next few days. But yeah, this doesn't look like a team that's clearing the decks for something major. Instead it looks like business as usual. They'll sit on their hands through the early part of FA then start poking around among the guys who get cut as a result of the first wave or two of signings.

My guess is they'll pick up an OL and a blocking TE. They'll sign some junk DEs who will get cut in August. I'd love to be wrong but that's what it looks like at this second.

Another issue here is the perception internally that the front office isn't actively working to help the team improve. Just sitting iddly by while rest of the NFL does business and the Bengals watch the grown ups work to improve other teams. I'd be disappointed if the management was asleep at the controls as things play out. Way to show you are committed to improving, to winning....

Yeah, it doesn't exactly look like an organization that's committed to improving, which in turn lowers its attractiveness.

If the increasing emphasis I see tonight on them hoping MJ gets cut so they can sign him are any indication, I think I know the strategy, or at least the excuse we'll hear: MJ gets a big payday on the 12th so they are waiting to see if he gets cut...

Yeah, it doesn't exactly look like an organization that's committed to improving, which in turn lowers its attractiveness.

If the increasing emphasis I see tonight on them hoping MJ gets cut so they can sign him are any indication, I think I know the strategy, or at least the excuse we'll hear: MJ gets a big payday on the 12th so they are waiting to see if he gets cut...

What a great approach to free agency, lets wait around and see if a player gets cut, while guys who could help are getting taken! I hate this approach.