Dalton Deal Done

HoosierCat

Peter King is predictably schizophrenic in his Bengals write-up today. First:

This is the big complaint I’ve heard from Bengals insiders about the offense since Dalton took the rein. Five years ago, the Bengals ran on half of their snaps (505 of 1,011), a number Marvin Lewis likes. Since then, the percentage has fallen. In Dalton’s three years (30 wins, 18 losses), Cincinnati has not run as much as 45 percent in any of the seasons.

Well, I didn't know you had to go to "Bengals insiders" to get that, but anyhow, yes, run more. Then:

See why Jackson’s the right guy to try to take Dalton to the next level? He’s going to tell him the reality of what he faces. Marvin Lewis can say the playoff foibles are his fault, or 46 players’ fault in unison. No one’s buying it. Great quarterbacks win in January.

:frustrated:/> No, dimbulb, great teams win in January. That's the whole point of running more.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coley Harvey doesn't understand how the salary cap works (or apparently how the contract works, for that matter):

Based on early details about the structure of Dalton's new contract, it appears on the low end ($16 million per year) that he'll be making what many believe he's worth. ...According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Bengals had just more than $23 million in cap space for 2014 before Dalton's extension. That means after his signing bonuses and base salary, they will have about $6 million more to use before hitting the cap.

Um, no.

Why did I even look?

Regardless, it's a stomach-clencher.

Really, Paul? A deal they could theoretically walk away from TODAY and carry just $6 million in dead money this year and next is...a stomach-clencher? Get a brain, moran.

Will money help him dance more lightly in the footlights? Will money help him escape pressure more easily? When a blitzer is in Dalton's face, will money aid him in his decision making?

Will money make Paul a better writer? Will money enable him to produce less gas when eating beans?

The answer to all these questions is no.

He's 2-4 against Pittsburgh and 2-4 against Baltimore.

Look out! Dalton is one game under .500 against each of two division rivals. And of course for those 6 games he was the only player on the field!

(Actually, the running game never went anywhere; only its efficiency took a hike. Cincinnati ranked eighth in attempts last year, and 27th in yards per attempt.) Now, it's Dalton's turn to do the heavy lifting.

At least Peter King puts a paragraph or two between directly contradictory statements. Paul goes right for the gusto!

Why did I look? Ugh.

This is why I quite looking at stupid write ups like this, I can't stand it anymore. Screw NFL network, Espn and all those other stupid media jerks! Hell all they care about anymore is the Browns, and where Johnny Manzel is spending his off time, or why he should be starting, this all I hear anymore. I'm so done with that crap, who cares what they say anymore I'm just ready to watch football!

100% down with the Johnny Football coverage hate. I made the mistake of turning on espn last night. On the upcoming ticker it had Dalton's new deal, then Manziel. guess which one got 30 seconds and which one got like five minutes?

30 wins in the regular season in the last 3 years and 3 straight playoff appearances = "not winning".

This fanbase is so poisoned.

Well, let's give gizzle* his due: he says he isn't a Bengals fan any more. He actually did what I always ask a certain class of fan why they don't do: just walk away. In fact, I applaud him for it.

Compare this with my buddy Joe Goodberry and our old friend derekshank, who as I type are commiserating on twitter about the Grantland article. Goodberry tweeted a line from the story saying it may not be even possible for Dalton to get better, to which derek replied, "bingo."

If you don't think the Bsngals can win with Andy, if you're so convinced that all you can do is post and retweet articles about how much of a failure he is...why stick around? There are 31 other teams. There are many other sports. Why not follow something you enjoy instead of something that makes you miserable? Giz got that, and we should thank him for it. I just wish some of the rest of Bengaldom -- people like those idiots who put up the sheets on the first day of camp -- would follow suit.

*post since deleted, not by me.

Her entire body looks airbrushed.

Oh, uh. I guess I should say something about Dalton. Seems like a pretty solid deal for everyone involved. I have no complaints. I have significant reservations about him a quarterback, but I understand why the Bengals have faith in him and I would probably do the same in their position.

100% down with the Johnny Football coverage hate. I made the mistake of turning on espn last night. On the upcoming ticker it had Dalton's new deal, then Manziel. guess which one got 30 seconds and which one got like five minutes?

I don't know how people can bare to watch ESPN anymore, outside of games, I certainly don't. Manziel's the new Tebow...middle-aged "sports media" guys chasing young athletes around like TMZ, just waiting for them to say or do something "controversial."

I'd rather watch a sideline interview.

On Dalton's deal details...good, I guess, if they can get rid of him in 2 years, but I would've preferred it if they had simply waited another season. They could've just tagged him.

Ever think the wins had a lot more to do with the talent around him, and the top 5 defenses, than HIM? He's 8-10 vs the division, terrible against playoff teams. (and I point him out there because he's responsible for so many mistakes and turnovers - he gives away big games constantly).

As I said last season, I'd take a mediocre/boring Joe Flacco type, who doesn't throw INT's, but who can get the ball downfield relatively accurately, over a dingbat like him any day.

I'm just sick of him. I hope to God Jackson knocks some sense into him.

As I said last season, I'd take a mediocre/boring Joe Flacco type, who doesn't throw INT's, but who can get the ball downfield relatively accurately, over a dingbat like him any day.

Or, rather, let's hope he establishes a running game and doesn't ask his QB to fling it around the field 50+ times in a game.

Or, rather, let's hope he establishes a running game and doesn't ask his QB to fling it around the field 50+ times in a game.

Yes please no more throwing it 50 times a game, use 3 running backs for all I care

Yes please no more throwing it 50 times a game, use ANY running back for all I care

Fixed

Ever think the wins had a lot more to do with the talent around him, and the top 5 defenses, than HIM?

Possibly. Do you ever think that maybe those wins had a lot more to do with Dalton than the alleged talent around him?

Dalton has never had a running game. The team's rushing YPA has fallen ever year he's been here. His lead back has been the plodding BJGE.

His o-line featured Kyle Cook, a guy you spent years complaining about. His right guard was a rookie in 2012 and hurt in 2013. Boling is just a guy at best and Whitworth has been on the downslope for three years. When arguably the best and most consistent player on the line is Moobs, you have issues.

Up until last year, his top TE was Jermaine Gresham. You going to argue he's a top-tier TE?

Yup, he has AJ Green. Legit top 10 wideout. And in three years Dalton has cycled through six guys behind Green, including such world-beaters as Armon Binns.

Personally, I think Dalton's success has been a combination of both factors, his own abilities and those of some of the players around him, particularly Green. But this idea that it's all about everyone else and not Andy -- which is a species of the "Dalton is holding the team back" argument -- doesn't IMHO hold water.

Wasn't last year the year that Dalton had all he needed to succeed? Didn't commentators, and Dalton himself, say last season that 2013 there were no excuses, that it was all on him because they'd surrounded him with all these new weapons? I'm having déjà vu.