Bengals, Burfict at Impasse

HoosierCat

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I like Coley Harvey, really, I do. But stuff like this...

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/10256/bengals-vontaze-burfict-show-me-phase-career

...just makes me go, wut?

Show that 171 tackles wasn't a fluke ??

How the f*ck do you fluke into 171 tackles exactly ??

Show that he was worthy of a deal that averages 5 million per year ??

He was worthy of a deal that averaged far more than that, but the Bengals had the leverage.

Stupid and lazy is not a good combination.

it's got me feeling rigid .......bring on the footy season !!!!

May just be waiting for league approval, who knows. Doesn't seem to be a big issue. NFL.com had som details on the deal.

This time, they took care of the defense, securing the services of Vontaze Burfict. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports it's a four-year, $20.05 million contract for the Pro Bowl outside linebacker, per a source involved in the process.

Burfict will make $6.9 million combined in a signing bonus and roster bonus this season, plus another roster bonus worth $2.15 million due next March, bringing his total income to $9.75 million by spring (there's $700,000 left over from his rookie deal).

Very cap friendly.

Well, knowing how the Bengals fudge injuries (remember how Braham's broken leg was a "bone bruise") my guess is that "stomach bug" = Ebola. Or at least bubonic plague.

He's probably dead and they haven't told anyone yet.

Well, knowing how the Bengals fudge injuries (remember how Braham's broken leg was a "bone bruise") my guess is that "stomach bug" = Ebola. Or at least bubonic plague.

He's probably dead and they haven't told anyone yet.

Well for him not to come in and sign a contract worth millions, then yea I say something is wrong. This whole thing is weird hopefully he is not having second thoughts. Marvin dosnt seem to know why, he seems to think his agent thinks there's a deal, so yea he must be on his death bed. I wonder if he will play Sunday

Well, it's not like that deal is going anywhere and if he's got a "stomach bug" that's causing him to puke everywhere, why bother and risk getting others sick ??

I don't think there anything to see here and it just makes a good headline.

"Bengals and Burfict DON'T have a signed deal. Is there a problem in Cincy?"

Tune in at 11 and get the "real" story. Specualtion, speculation and then low and behold he gets over being sick and signs the deal.

Wasted effort to worry about it from my standpoint.

Well, it's not like that deal is going anywhere and if he's got a "stomach bug" that's causing him to puke everywhere, why bother and risk getting others sick ??

Tune in at 11 and get the "real" story. Specualtion, speculation and then low and behold he gets over being sick and signs the deal.

Don't give Florio any ideas for a headline.

I think he did get others sick. About 3 or 4 players are having the virus, so too late I guess lol. I wonder how many will play this weekend with it.

According to Marvin, "three or four" players have the bug, which can only mean that the entire team are now zombies. Run, Cincinnati, run for your lives!

i am not worried, i live in arizona not cincinnati, oh wait a min, bengals team will be in arizona tomorrow, guess i am in trouble as well :(

For a deal that isn't done yet there sure are a lot of details out...

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-Vontaze-Burficts-new-deal.html

The Cincinnati Bengals continued their trend of being proactive with core players entering the final year of rookie contracts by signing All-Pro linebacker Vontaze Burfict to a three-year, $18.43 million contract extension (total of $19 million for four years) this past week. Burfict was scheduled to make $570,000, his league minimum salary, in 2014 prior to signing the new deal.

Consistent with other Bengals deals, the only guaranteed money in Burfict’s contract is a $3.1 million signing bonus and a $3.8 million roster bonus payable within a few days of signing. In addition to the $6.9 million, Burfict’s 2014 base salary is $700,000. He is making $7.6 million in 2014, which is $7.03 million more than he would have gotten by playing out his three-year rookie deal. Burfict also has a $2.15 million roster bonus payable on the fifth day of the 2015 league year, which is intended to serve as a substitute for additional contact guarantees.

Burfict’s base salaries in 2015, 2016 and 2017 are $1.05 million, $3.35 million and $4.25 million. There are $200,000 workout bonuses in each of the extension years (2015-2017). The deal has a salary escalator where Burfict’s base salary in each remaining contract year increases by $135,000 with a Pro Bowl selection. For example, if Burfict is selected to the Pro Bowl in 2014, his 2015, 2016 and 2017 base salaries become $1.185 million, $3.485 million and $4.385 million, respectively.

The Bengals now have $11.17 million of salary cap room after completing Burfict’s new deal. His 2014 salary cap number goes from his $570,334 to $5,275,334, a $4.705 million increase, under the new contract. Burfict’s cap numbers are $4.175 million, $4.325 million and $5.225 million in 2015, 2016 and 2017, respectively.

There's more analysis at the link that basically paints this as a good deal for Burfict. Note that the writer is a former agent. There's been some speculation that the reason Burfict hasn't signed is that he's getting calls from other agents saying his representation (a small firm he just signed on with a short time ago) didn't do a good job. So now there's an agent-vs.-agent media campaign going on to convince him it's a good deal.