Bengals, Burfict at Impasse

HoosierCat

Burfict on contract update today, no comment lol. I have to wonder how many people told him he is worth more or don't sign things like that.

I think we can safely assume that's the case at this point. The numbers seem to be drifting slightly downward as details emerge. Now we find out it's a base $18.5 million deal (just counting new money), or about $4.6 million/year. That's more toward the low end of the $4-6 million range for 4-3 OLBs. And of course it's way below the $10 million-plus elite 3-4 LBs command. It also covers four years -- but if Burfict is willing to go the bet-on-himself route, he will probably make almost as much in the next three years with the combination of $500K this year, top RFA tag (around $3.5 million) in 2015 and franchise tag ($11-12 million) in 2016. And then he hits FA a year earlier than under this deal.

And that of course assumes the Bengals franchise him in 2016. That isn't a slam-dunk call one way or the other. I'd bet the whisperers are telling him he could hit FA as soon as 2016 and with the cap set to skyrocket he will command top dollar on the open market. And they're probably right. He might not get franchise caliber coin but multiple teams would certainly be interested and that could easily drive his deal up toward the $10 million per year mark.

At this point I think this extension is dead.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to wonder about this hamstring injury. Could be a negotiating ploy, an implied threat.

If his contract is not done, and he's out there in harms way in a stupid pre-season game, no reason to risk a knee or shoulder... like Bradford....

Hammy feels tight?... hit the bench....

I'm inclined to agree with willy here. Any kind of holdout would only lower his value. That said, a disgruntled Burfict probably won't give you as much as a happy Burfict, and the reported deal is arguably light. But it depends on what Vontaze wants. If it's just a matter of sweetening the deal us to, say, a $5 million/year average in new money, no reason not to do it. OTOH if Burfict won't take less than something like $10 million a year, just forget it. But my sense is that the announced deal can't be all that far off of his demands if his agent went ahead and leaked details to the press.

It occurs to me that there's one more possible scenario playing out here: Burfict is willing to sign the deal as is, but after the details were initially leaked his noob agency got laughed at by other agents for cutting a deal so favorable to the team. And now it's actually Burfict's agents who are trying to wring a few more dimes from Cincy in order to save face (and their ability to attract more clients). Which might explain the apparent lack of anxiety by either Vontaze or Marvin about getting the deal done.

Ah Sizzler! Used to love the one on the way to Tri-County Mall just down the street from Windjammer. Saltiest beef on the earth!

They probably had to close that one due to your repeated appearances there when you would stand up and try to do your "spoken word" performances in your Members Only jacket. You talked about the abyss a lot. You're probably surprised I know that about you. The manager, Ted, didnt like confrontation and sometimes cried when he asked you to leave. This is the part that usually got you kicked out:

You - "I Love Lucy reruns on a black and white Heathkit tv,

Winter leaves blowing across the playground,

I stare into nothingness,

the abyss."

Ted - "You in the Members Only jacket, get out."

Burfict signed his deal today.

http://espn.go.com/n...tract-extension

My nads are dancing with joy ... one orange one black !!

Lets play ball !!!

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tez-signed-sealed-delivered/9dbb4166-d367-48c0-ba56-401745f08f94

They probably had to close that one due to your repeated appearances there when you would stand up and try to do your "spoken word" performances in your Members Only jacket. You talked about the abyss a lot. You're probably surprised I know that about you. The manager, Ted, didnt like confrontation and sometimes cried when he asked you to leave.

That guy was a jerk but it wasn't me. I was the kid in the corduroy Ocean Pacific shorts and K-mart wife-beater who would hit Ted in the head with cherry tomatoes from the salad bar every time he turned away. By the fifth or sixth one he would beat a panicky retreat to the kitchen. Wuss.

True confessions:

I'm Ted. You guys caused me serious psychological harm. I lost all my hair (probably from having to wash tomato out of it all the time), my wife left me, my dog was run over in the parking lot, and I developed a facial tick. After I lost my job thanks to you, the only thing I could find to support myself was to work as a sad, bald clown in a traveling circus. It was hard work, the people smelled like cabbage, and the clown makeup gave me psoriasis.

Now I punch everyone I see with a "Member's Only" jacket in the face. I've been arrested 6 times for assault. And I blame it all on you.

So, the Bengals are now right up against the salary cap. When was the last time we saw that?

Don't you try to go and get this thread back on topic. Don't you do it.

I'm rather intrigued by the story of Ted, tomato wielding kids in member's only jackets, and COB's Sizzler domination.

:lmao: :lmao:

Yes, I do hate to derail things. But, I did want to stop temporarily to mourn the loss of the typical Bengals fan's most-used offseason complaint.

Year after year it feels like people have been upset that the team wasn't spending all their money. All that wasted cap space... and the Bengals response is always that they're saving space to re-sign their core players.

The typical fan's response? "I'll believe it when I see it!"

The day has come. See it and believe it. bengal.gif

So, the Bengals are now right up against the salary cap. When was the last time we saw that?

I see that Harvey has completely swallowed the team's annual game of "Hobsonize the numbers." They must just love him in the FO.

They have about $10 million in cap space left. And yes, they will probably need a few million for injury replacements and a couple nickles for the practice squad guys, but they will also get space back when cuts are through.

This is consistent with what they've been saying all offseason, which is that the plan was to push about $8 million forward (again) to sign guys (read: AJ) next year. Now that they've gotten Burfict and Dalton done, there's really not any reason to object to that. AJ will get done at some point and they've already exercised his option for 2015, so no pressing need there. And who else is there to extend? Gresham? Anyone is a rush to hand Jermaine a big pile of cash? Yeah, me neither. Moobs only had a short-term deal so he may be in the mix next year.

Bottom line, really nice work by Katie.

True confessions:

I'm Ted. You guys caused me serious psychological harm. I lost all my hair (probably from having to wash tomato out of it all the time), my wife left me, my dog was run over in the parking lot, and I developed a facial tick. After I lost my job thanks to you, the only thing I could find to support myself was to work as a sad, bald clown in a traveling circus. It was hard work, the people smelled like cabbage, and the clown makeup gave me psoriasis.

Now I punch everyone I see with a "Member's Only" jacket in the face. I've been arrested 6 times for assault. And I blame it all on you.

:lmao: :lmao:

I can never decide if this is really a football message board or a virtual mental institution.

Bottom line, really nice work by Katie.

I would also suggest that it's justification for letting guys like Michael Johnson and Anthony Collins walk this offseason. You can't pay them all.

Of course, that strategy is only justified when you actually DO pay the people that matter most. So far, so good.

True confessions:

:lmao:/> :lmao:/>

I can never decide if this is really a football message board or a virtual mental institution.

Probably a little of both...