Zim to Vikes

HoosierCat

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ealier today, there was a tweet that the vikings were going to hire Zimmer but I haven't seen anything other than him getting a second interview. I think Minnesota was going to interview Greg Roman from SF also. I think he might be the wild card in all of this that might prevent Zim from getting the job.

Munchak was going to interview with the Browns.

I wonder if Brown has talked to Guenther yet?

"If Zimmer goes, what would it take to get you to take the DC job?"

I'm sure they have talked. Marvin alluded to the whole continuity thing when they promoted Caskey to be RB coach.

Interesting comment or slip by Geoff Hobson during an interview with Chick Ludwig that I heard this morning. Hobs said something like Zim wouldn't work with Gruden or for Gruden then quickly tried to smooth it over. I think he let it slip that some of Jay's play-calling rubbed MZ the wrong way and often put his defense in a short field too many times. He went on to praise Gruden for what he accomplished in three years after starting with basically nothing. But I took that little slip as an indictment of Gruden and the offense. Not sure if anyone else heard it. I think it originally aired on WLW on Saturday but was replayed this morning on Ludwig's MMQB Show on 1360.

I wonder if Brown has talked to Guenther yet?

"If Zimmer goes, what would it take to get you to take the DC job?"

I'm sure they have talked. Marvin alluded to the whole continuity thing when they promoted Caskey to be RB coach.

Interesting comment or slip by Geoff Hobson during an interview with Chick Ludwig that I heard this morning. Hobs said something like Zim wouldn't work with Gruden or for Gruden then quickly tried to smooth it over. I think he let it slip that some of Jay's play-calling rubbed MZ the wrong way and often put his defense in a short field too many times. He went on to praise Gruden for what he accomplished in three years after starting with basically nothing. But I took that little slip as an indictment of Gruden and the offense. Not sure if anyone else heard it. I think it originally aired on WLW on Saturday but was replayed this morning on Ludwig's MMQB Show on 1360.

jj,

Check my thread out 'Oh The Good Ole Days' Doc has an interesting article on Wyche. I don't agree with his take on the run, but it would be nice to have him as an assistant to Jackson to work just with the Dalton and the QBs for the times when they DO pass.

Having Sam (and Munoz) around has always been one of my pet peeves. I think enjoys his retired life but maybe they could offer him to be a QB coach just for the OTA's or training camp. I really have never felt that Zampese helps much nor hurts our QBs but having a special guest like Sam around could be helpful with a young QB group.

I remember reading Ken Anderson's account of his first meetings with Bill Walsh. He said it may have been a week or two before he threw a single pass. They worked on drops, footwork, hand placement and throwing angles before throwing at all. I think Andy's mechanics are crap sometimes and it shows. Sam could only help.

Look at that snow!

I think the only other person is the guy from SF (Roman). Hope Zim gets it but I will be very disappointed if he leaves.

I've mentioned it before but I believe that in the background, his presence has elevated this franchise from the top on down. I think he has affected Mike, Marvin, their draft, the type of person they get now and their overall expectations year-to-year. I think he has the personality to tell Mike and Marvin what they need to hear. I'm afraid without that voice, things will go soft around there.

What's the holdup? If Zim doesn't get this job, the media is going to freak out. Rarely have I seen a guy get the kind of push Zimmer has gotten the last couple years.

Mo had the beat writer from Minnesota on this afternoon. He said they started around 10am and were still going around 4. he suspected they were working on a contract.

I'm really torn here. Obviously, I want him back in Cincy. Badly.

But, if he doesn't get the job, I'm going to be pretty angry on his behalf. The guy deserves a chance and I can't imagine what it's like for him to be turned down year after year.

IMHO I think he will go, my concern is, will he or Gruden try to get Guenther? This is one coaching position I'd prefer stay within the family, especially Guenther who knows Zimm's system, and keep all that was successful in tact!

You bring someone in from the outside and they start changing things around, to me, not good!

But, if he doesn't get the job, I'm going to be pretty angry on his behalf. The guy deserves a chance and I can't imagine what it's like for him to be turned down year after year.

IMHO I think he will go, my concern is, will he or Gruden try to get Guenther? This is one coaching position I'd prefer stay within the family, especially Guenther who knows Zimm's system, and keep all that was successful in tact!

You bring someone in from the outside and they start changing things around, to me, not good!

My previous response over the weekend to this was wiped out but since Guenther is under contract with the Bengals, they can block or deny outside contact with Guenther. So if he is in the running to be Zim's replacement here, they can prevent Zimmer or Gruden or anyone else from talking to him. I assume the same goes for the other coaches that are currently under contract.

My previous response over the weekend to this was wiped out but since Guenther is under contract with the Bengals, they can block or deny outside contact with Guenther. So if he is in the running to be Zim's replacement here, they can prevent Zimmer or Gruden or anyone else from talking to him. I assume the same goes for the other coaches that are currently under contract.

Good point! Never even thought of that!

I am happy for Zim but I am a little sad for the Bengals, Zimmer was such an incredible influence on the defense and the leadership of the team. He brought a tough mindedness into the locker room and it was obvious that his players loved playing for him. I can only hope that Guenther provides the same leadership.