They're in love with the team that we're talking about...

...I just hope it's not a bad time to be in love.

In news that will doubtless send skyline screaming into one of the seven hills of Cincinnati, the Bengals have been declared The Trendy Pick for 2013! They're like football hipsters, I suppose.

The "Predict the Season" playoffs has moved into the divisional round, with the Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins all being eliminated. I'm surprised the Buccaneers and Colts were even there to begin with, but I'm more surprised the Ravens got knocked out by the Cincinnati Bengals.

This clinches a growing belief I've had lately: The Bengals are going to be a trendy team to make major noise this year.

Of course, this being Gregg Rosenthal, he goes on to take a dump on Dalton, but let's not worry about that. Instead, let's look at the espn.com power rankings, where the Bengals have moved up to 9th overall by, well, um, making some phone calls to Radio City Music Hall. Not to be outdone, NFL.com moves this year's Trendy Pick all the way up to 8th based on said phone calls!

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDMxWgPQcg

While there were still doubts last season, they handled the pressure of success admirably. They started 3-5, looked entirely like the disappointing flops of the recent past under similar circumstances, and then gave the universe a loud f**k you by finishing 7-1.

I'm not worried about it. If the Bengals play Bengals-caliber defense, they can beat anyone.

If I have any concerns, it's with the coaching staff. They do a great job finding talent and motivating that talent, but... It only takes one erroneous timeout, challenge flag, or 56-yard-field-goal-attempt-at-Heinz-Field to ruin a football game. Augh sorry, I'll shut up. IMMZJIT. In Mikey, Marvin, Zimmer, and Jay I trust.

I like it better when we are under the radar

Hopefully this generation of Bengal players handle the spotlight better than the last! :bengal:/>

You and me both. We've seen multiple generations of Bengals teams start believing their own PR and then get hammered out of the gate.

The one bright spot, such as it is, is that Vegas isn't buying in yet. They still have the Ravens and Steelers more likely to make the Super Bowl than Cincy. So there's that for the bulletin board.

While there were still doubts last season, they handled the pressure of success admirably. They started 3-5, looked entirely like the disappointing flops of the recent past under similar circumstances, and then gave the universe a loud f**k you by finishing 7-1.

I'm not worried about it. If the Bengals play Bengals-caliber defense, they can beat anyone.

If I have any concerns, it's with the coaching staff. They do a great job finding talent and motivating that talent, but... It only takes one erroneous timeout, challenge flag, or 56-yard-field-goal-attempt-at-Heinz-Field to ruin a football game. Augh sorry, I'll shut up. IMMZJIT. In Mikey, Marvin, Zimmer, and Jay I trust.

Coaching staff always worries me as well. There is a lot of talent and good players on this team, but it's up to the coaches to get it out of them. Will see what happens with this team, but I love what they put togther.

I like it better when we are under the radar

Hopefully this generation of Bengal players handle the spotlight better than the last! bengal.gif/>

The one bright spot, such as it is, is that Vegas isn't buying in yet. They still have the Ravens and Steelers more likely to make the Super Bowl than Cincy. So there's that for the bulletin board.

*phew*

Thank goodness. I was starting to sweat bullets.

time this team starts being in the conversation that they can win a super bowl and stop being the underdog and only hope of getting there is to have a plethora of upsets. I think this team is solid and will do well. Do I see the Bengals winning the super bowl? Not yet as Dalton hasn't proven he can win in the playoffs. Is it possible? Yes if they keep progressing and bringing in the talent they did this offseason.

If they can depend less on Dalton, they will have a better chance certainly.

While i agree Dalton has his moments, he now has the weapons around him to make him better. I think the bengals did a great job of building a team to his strengths, and has now given him the best chance to win. So i think this year he has to improve his game, and show he can actully win big games, and agaisnt teams with winning records.

Everytime I hear someone bash Dalton and how they think it's not possible to win with him, I think of Trent freakin' Dilfer.

Not in the aspect that Dalton isn't a good QB, but rather one I think had less abilities than he does won a Super Bowl.

We have a top defense that we added to and now gave Dalton even more weapons.

Why not the Bengals ??

In more good news for sky, Hensley and Williamson at espn agree: Bengals are the worst team in the AFCN.

If you average their rankings, they come out thusly:

Hensley

Ravens 2.0

Steelers 2.44

Browns 2.66

Bengals 2.88

Williamson

Ravens 2.11

Steelers 2.55

Browns 2.66

Bengals 2.66

Bengals edge out Browns in Williamson's rankings by having more fourth-ranked units.

• 2 months later...

Florio drinks the Kool Aid...puts Bengals at 6 in the preseason power rankings.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/22/preseason-power-rankings-no-6-cincinnati-bengals/

Pretty fair write-up...

I was just coming to discuss as well.

No talk of the safety position, which is one of my bigger concerns "at this point in time".

I just don't like hoping and prayer our rookie works out.

That's where I am though. GO WILLIAMS !?!?

So the defense held us back last year? That is essentially what you are saying if we need Safety and MLB help to get where we need to go.

I think the defense was Super Bowl caliber last year, I think many of our young players will continue to get better and I think it is incumbent on our Offense to improve in order for the Bengals to get to the promised land. Do I think the Offense will be better this year...yes, do I think it will be Championship Caliber? Still remains to be seen.

Our offense championship caliber? Nothing I've seen out of Andy makes me think he'll suddenly throw anywhere as well Rogers, Flacco, Kaepernick, either Manning, etc. I can't name a championship caliber offense that has a quarterback Andy's level.

Wait, I can think of one. I guess the Ravens 12 years ago had a defense so awesome, they could just put a game manager back there and overpower people with their D.

But to do that you'd have to spend a decade looking for your supernatural middle linebacker, your freak d-lineman, etc., etc. And where would you find an owner complacent and patient enough to let you do it?

Come to think of it, to be championship caliber with Andy back there, you'd just about have to duplicate the Ravens D. And to do that you'd have to hire their D coordinator as your head coach. Then implement a 12 year plan to win the Super Bowl with a journeyman quarterback.

SoP = Genius.

Flacco. If you look at Flacco's regular season stats they were virtually the same as Dalton's last year.

Dalton had 329 completions against 528 attempts for 3669 yards, 27 TDs 16 INTs. Passer Rating of 87.4

Flacco had 317 completions against 531 attempts for 3817 yards, 22 TDs 10 INTs. Passer Rating of 87.7

Apart from a very impressive run in the 2012 playoffs Flacco from a career perspective has been nothing more than an average QB.

I can't see us taking the next step without an improvement at MLB and at S - it could come from our existing players but I don't have any confidence right now that it will

Speaking of safety, the Prater boomlet appears to have petered out. Hobs has reduced him to "having a shot" to make the final roster. But worry not, a new heartthrob has been found by Tiger Beat on the Ohio, George Iloka!

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Remember-Class-of-12/02bdaed2-8708-4605-949b-8e3eeeb76d6f

We can compare Dalton to anybody, but the truth is he needs to be better. Sure his numbers look good compared to others, but the difference is other great QBs hit the passes they need to, Dalton tends to miss alot of passes that he needs to make. Not to mention he holds on to the ball for way to long, and taking way to many sacks. Im a huge fan of Dalton, and im hoping with the additions of a running game, and some new weapons his game will improve, oh and not to mention ther players catching the ball.

Army there was a article on the front of bengals.com saying that George Iloka may have a chance to start, that he improved alot and is learning the playbook everyday. Who knows if it means anything, but i still would love for them to look at Kerry Rhoads, but not sure how they feel about him.

We can compare Dalton to anybody, but the truth is he needs to be better. Sure his numbers look good compared to others, but the difference is other great QBs hit the passes they need to, Dalton tends to miss alot of passes that he needs to make. Not to mention he holds on to the ball for way to long, and taking way to many sacks. Im a huge fan of Dalton, and im hoping with the additions of a running game, and some new weapons his game will improve, oh and not to mention ther players catching the ball.

Army there was a article on the front of bengals.com saying that George Iloka may have a chance to start, that he improved alot and is learning the playbook everyday. Who knows if it means anything, but i still would love for them to look at Kerry Rhoads, but not sure how they feel about him.

I like Dalton as well and agree that he needs to improve.

What I won't say is that he's incapable of winning a Super Bowl.

They are putting more around him and the D is top 5 in the league.

He's going into his 3rd season and his 2nd year of OTA's, mini camp, and camp.

Iloka is the newest, bestest this preseason ?? Well, it had to be someone.

Funny how the newest, bestest is always at a position of need isn't it ??

Wasn't Otis Hudson slotted to be the savior at Guard the season before ??

Binns was Fitzgerald, so on and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to see ANY of the safety candidates up for starting opposite Nelson go straight beast mode from week one and destroy the competition. It could happen, but i'm just not as comfortable with thinking it will. For example, i'm real comfortable when thinking about the impact Eifert and Bernard will make on the offense. I can't say there is a single player at the SS position that makes me feel even 1/8th as comfortable as the two rookies on offense. Hell, I like the odds of Cobi f*cking Hamilton making it as the 6th WR as much as I like almost any at the SS spot.

I keep finding comfort that this defense finished in the top 5 with both Crocker and Maualuga starting.