The Class of 2013

HoosierCat

Pointless early poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. You know what to do

• A - NAILED IT, B*TCHES
    • B - Great job, I have some quibbles but really can't complain
    • C - Meh. Average draft. Ask me again in 3 years.
    • D - Ugh. Can't we send MB to a deserted island every April?
    • F - Terrible draft. 0-16 here we come!

So here is your 2013 Cincinnati Bengals draft class:

1. TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

2. RB Giovanni Bernard, North Carolina

2. DE Margus Hunt, SMU

3. S Shawn Williams, Georgia

4. LB Sean Porter, Texas A&M

5. OT Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas

6. RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

6. WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas

7. OT Reid Fragel, Ohio State

7. C T.J. Johnson, South Carolina

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not to like? Best TE in the draft, most explosive RB, genetic mutant DE, SEC quality safety, and tons of athletes to force competition. There are tons of teams that will grab the Bengals last cuts at several positions, especially OL, DL, RB, LB.

That pretty much covers it for me as well. :sure:

I'll give it the boring B. Based upon my meaningless preconceptions of the prospects I think the Bengals did well. The offensive slant is a bit more distinct that I'd have liked, but it's not something I'm going to scream about. I understand it.

Margus Hunt makes me want to give it an A. I don't know if I've ever loved a draft pick so much before he even sees a snap.

Feels like a B to me at first glance. If Eifert is used correctly and Hunt fulfills some of that promise, could easily be an A in 3 years time.

I like what they did all over all three days, and love loading up on OL late in the draft. Let the competition begin.

I'll go with A :>

1. TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame - Bit miffed at first,but then I ended up loving it.

2 TE's work great for the Patriots and they don't have AJ Green ^.^ A

2. RB Giovanni Bernard, North Carolina -Exactly what we needed at RB A+

2. DE Margus Hunt, SMU - Favorite pick of the Draft,7foot wing sping? 2.6 second sacks? hell ya A+

3. S Shawn Williams, Georgia -Bit later then I wanted see Safety hopefully he surprises. B

4. LB Sean Porter, Texas A&M -It's what we needed at LB someone who could swing and had time to learn A+

5. OT Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas-5th round is where you should find Project and Depth

6. RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska-Sad see Leonard go but Burkhead looks like a upgrade over him.

6. WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas-Please oh Please seal tates fate.

7. OT Reid Fragel, Ohio State-Depth hopefully it ends the ROllands Project if he can do that A+

7. C T.J. Johnson, South Carolina-Depth Can't complain seemed like they wasn't alot highly rated centers this year.

PS,Also Signing Andre before 2nd round selection made me a very happy camper...Now to work on Geno & Dunlap deals

Dunno, looks good on paper, as did last year's (which was ultimately a dud due to injuries and more experience needed for mid-rounders).

Can only hope Williams and Porter turn out to be good, they need them.

Eifert and Bernard/Burkhead should make the offense better and more exciting.

Margus may be the most interesting guy to watch, he's a freak.

There are a few guys here that may not make the roster. In years past that would really bug me, because we had so many holes. We simply couldn't afford to take chances with draft picks.

This year, it kind of makes me smile. You bring in late round guys like Burkhead and Hamilton in spots that we seem pretty well set in. Rather than being bothered by that, I find myself pretty excited by the prospect of more competition at each of these spots.

So, this is what depth feels like?

"B"

Not great, but better than an average "C".

My favorite pick is Bernard hands down based on what kind of an impact he will have in 2013.

Shawn Williams is another one that confuses me, but whatever.

Porter was also another solid pick in my opinion.

The rest of the late round guys are just whatever.

WR Hamilton completes the Chad Johnson trade.

Next is finishing off the UDFA class and then wait to see who gets cut.

Hopefully there is a vet safety that makes the Bengals change their minds.

"B"

My favorite pick is Bernard hands down based on what kind of an impact he will have in 2013.

What on earth is confusing about Sean Williams?

What's not to like? Best TE in the draft, most explosive RB, genetic mutant DE, SEC quality safety, and tons of athletes to force competition. There are tons of teams that will grab the Bengals last cuts at several positions, especially OL, DL, RB, LB.

At some point in Dallas, Margus had gotten little tired of ongoing questions about his athletic abilities all the time. So he just started telling people that he was born 9 months after Chernobyl nuclear disaster radioactive cloud had passed over Estonia, hinting that he got genetically mutated. He quickly stopped doing it though, because people were actually buying that.

I've graded it B, overall I'm pretty happy with this draft. Would've gone B+ if that was an option.

I was a bit miffed by signing Eifert when Andre Smith still hadn't been inked but I suppose the FO were confident'ish. Apparantly he signed just before the 2nd Round so it could've been "sign now or we'll take your replacement with the next pick and off ya go", knowing the market wasn't strong for him he may have been in a corner. Anyways, he signed which made the Eifert pick easier to take and allowed Gio Bernard to be taken.

With the O ranked 22nd overall last year I'm not surprised we slant to the O in this draft, and we desperately needed that RB option that Bernard should provide.

Defence ranked 6th overall so not too much of a problem just a wee bit of tinkering there.

Margus Hunt was in my opinion a smart pick up. Not required to be a starter straight away but will have a year in the sytem by the time some contracts come to be re-done (Dunlap, Atkins, Geathers), similar, but not identical to Andre Smiths situation, basically "here's the offer or there's your replacement". I really like this move.

I'm hoping at least one of the previously drafted Safeties that promised so much and have delivered so little will be shown the door now that we have Williams - no point in holding onto dead wood. Either produce or pack up and piss off.

I was hoping for a decent LB to be taken but with Harrisons signing it took the urgency away - we were able to take one later and develop, I'm good with that.

Burkhead and Hamilton add some depth to their spots and should provide some decent competition going forward into camps and cuts. Same as the Safety situation - "do or go !"

Marvins history with success of late round picks isn't impressive, but I don't suppose any coaches is really. However I'm hoping Fraggle Rock will be good enough to make the roster/PS and stick around .... dunno why, I just like the guy's name !!

Rob Rang, CBS Sports

Cincinnati Bengals

A year ago, I thought the Bengals had one of the NFL's top drafts and they started strong again this year with the interesting selection of Tyler Eifert, a terrific pass-catcher who'll complement A.J. Green and Andy Dalton's talent in the short to intermediate passing attack. The Bengals had been long rumored to like Giovani Bernard as a complement to Benjarvus Green-Ellis. They wasted no time in showing it, making the multi-purpose Tar Heel the first running back drafted in 2013. The Bengals re-stock the defensive line each year, and the 6-8, 277-pound Margus Hunt has the athleticism to prove a steal -- just like Michael Johnson,Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins as non-first-round picks for the Bengals. Finally, Cincinnati nabbed one of my personal favorites in Shawn Williams, a no-nonsense safety who'll bring some toughness in the secondary. I'm just as high on their third day picks. Rex Burkheadwould've been drafted much earlier a year ago but slipped after an injury plagued senior season and if Texas A&M outside linebacker Sean Porter and Kansas offensive tackleTanner Hawkinson get in the weight room, they'll surprise. Grade: A

/>http://www.cbssports...fc-north-grades

Cincinnati Bengals: Owner Mike Brown quietly has turned into one of the best drafters in the NFL. He backed up one of our favorite first-round picks in Notre Dame tight endTyler Eifert with North Carolina running back Giovani Bernard and SMU defensive end Margus Hunt in the second round. This Bengals offense needed more explosiveness; it has it with Eifert and Bernard.

Hunt is the poor man's Ziggy Ansah (drafted No. 5 overall by the Detroit Lions). Cincinnati is the perfect spot for a raw talent with immense physical skills because of coordinator Mike Zimmer. No one coaches up pass rushers better.

/>http://www.nfl.com/n...sers-from-day-2

Grade: A-

Cincinnati Bengals: Welcome to the Jungle, where the Bengals have buried their bungling, and done it with offense. See Notre Dame mismatch-creating tight end Tyler Eifert and North Carolina speed back Giovani Bernard. Andy Dalton and A.J. Green got it going in '11, and Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones were good follow-ups in '12. Eifert and Bernard are great options for Dalton to further break out of his Green dependency. They also made their defensive strength stronger, as SMU's 6-8 Estonian end Margus Hunt fits right in with their pass rush. Georgia's Shawn Williams fills free safety.

Sporting News

Kiper:

His highest grades given was an A- and he gave it to 3 teams.

Ravens, Bengals and Rams.

Cincinnati Bengals

Overall

Top needs: S, OLB, RB, CB

Summary: The Bengals somehow didn't address a pretty big need early (and they don't have many) and still really impressed me. The pick of Tyler Eifert is just a steal (I had him No. 8 on my final Big Board). You have a good QB, but a limited one -- Andy Dalton isn't going to carve teams up down the field. But with A.J. Green, Jermaine Gresham and Eifert, you have guys that don't need to be open to be thrown to. Try dealing with all three on the field in the red zone. Eifert to Cincy is a great case of a team simply pouncing when the value gets too good. Giovani Bernard gives them a new dimension in the run game, ironically because he can actually catch the ball. He was the most versatile RB on my board, and getting the first RB taken at No. 37 overall isn't bad. The Bengals D-line continues to be filled with long, athletic freaks with the addition of Margus Hunt. I know Hunt's a project, but he's a great bet at No. 53 overall. He can almost block enough kicks to justify that pick given how weirdly effective he is at it. They did get their safety in Round 3. Shawn Williams has a chance to beat out Taylor Mays. Sean Porter can back up James Harrison, who's now 35. Cobi Hamilton has a chance to stick. And Reid Fragel could be a steal in the seventh. The Bengals seem to be a groove with the draft, the only downside being the picks that came via the Carson Palmer deal are now spent. It was fun while it lasted.

Cincinnati Bengals: A

Analysis: They drafted the best athlete available when they got Eifert, the top tight end, and Hunt, an underrated defensive end. They didn’t need players at either position. They did need a runner like Bernard, the first back drafted. Porter’s undersized but a great athlete.

Rd. No. Player Pos. College

1 21 Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame

2 37 Giovani Bernard RB N. Carolina

2 53 Margus Hunt DE SMU

3 84 Shawn Williams S Georgia

4 118 Sean Porter LB Texas A&M

5 156 Tanner Hawkinson OT Kansas

6 190 Rex Burkhead RB Nebraska

6 197 Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas

7 240 Reid Fragel OT Ohio St.

7 251 T.J. Johnson C S. Carolina

/>http://blog.chron.co...c-draft-grades/

Pete Prisco:

---graded every round.

21 C Bengals select: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

This pick says enough about Jermaine Gresham as much as anything. Eifert is a much better receiver than Gresham. But what about safety?

37 A- Bengals select: Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina

I love this for the Bengals. They get an air back, which they need. This is a good pick.

53 B- Bengals select: Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist

He is a project. But it's hard to argue with the Bengals drafting defensive linemen in recent years.

84 B+ Bengals select: Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia

He is a rangy safety who will address a position of need in the back end. I like that.

118 B+ Bengals select: Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M

A quick-twitch pass rusher who can blitz and also flashes solid coverage ability. Not an ideal run LB, but from Manny Lawson to James Harrison, it's obvious Cincy values blitz ability highly in its strongside backers.

156 D Bengals select: Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas

A versatile guy who was able to get beaten up at both tackle spots for the Jayhawks, Hawkinson may kick inside at the next level but may need a lot more strength to stick anywhere.

190 C+ Bengals select: Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska

A quick and explosive player who consistently finds ways to elude defenders and make productive runs. With the addition of Giovanni Bernard its' hard to say exactly how Burkhead will fit into Cincy's 2013 backfield, but if he makes the roster he'll be a willing special teams contributor and depth piece.

197 B+ Bengals select: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas

A physical receiver who was caught up in the crossfire of Arkansas' nightmare 2012 year, Hamilton nonetheless looks to be a solid possession-receiver prospect. He may not bring anything to the table that Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones don't already, though, so he'll face a tough fight for a roster spot.

240 B+ Bengals select: Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio State

From right down the road at Ohio State, Fragel is a converted TE who started at RT for the Buckeyes and could become a homeless man's Lane Johnson down the road. He's the polar opposite of current Cincy RT Andre Smith, but maybe that's a good thing.

251 C Bengals select: T.J. Johnson, C, South Carolina

It's an aging OL corps in Cincy, and TJ will work to inject some youth.

"B"

What on earth is confusing about Sean Williams?

It's not that I don't like the kid by any stretch.

The confusion lies is what the coaches say they want and what they went after.

They say they want interchangeable and grab a specific.

I will take that specific mind you and fully trust in what Zimmer thinks he's getting.

From all accounts a very heady, leader type who gets things together in the secondary.

Sounds like a younger Crocker.

Sometimes the coaches just irritate me.

That's exactly why Williams is probably my favorite pick: he should finally put an end to the never-to-be-fulfilled blather about interchangeable safeties. Give me a good old-fashioned enforcer like Williams. I've wanted one for this team for a long time.

I think the thing I like the most about this draft is that all our picks are high-character guys. Every one seems to have been a team captain, team leader, first-on-last-off player. They've been emphasizing character for a few years now and the results are clear. The few remaining slackers and assclowns are either gone (Sims) or pulling it together (Moobs) and the occasional shot on a troubled player can be taken with a much greater chance of success (see Burfict). The "talent trumps everything" era is over and I for one am thrilled.