2nd Round #1: Giovani Bernard

ArmyBengal

Stripes and I seem to be in lockstep this year. Was fine with Lacy, but also very fine with Bernard. Happy to see RB addressed in this round.

Thrilled to see the offense getting weapons. With Andre signing apparently done, bengals crossing over to having a good off-season again.

Sigh, not a fan of small Rb's with a history of durability concerns in this division. See Bernard Scott - too small for the AFC North, said on the day they drafted him as well, he will get hurt constantly. Draft these little pip squeaks later in the draft. Just my take.

That said, hope he becomes the HR/big play threat they really need from the running game, and his receiving skills will help as well obviously.

I have NO idea why they bothered to re-sign Scott and Peerman when they obviously had every intention of drafting a RB this high. Makes little sense, but the Bengals' have to be the Bengals.

When he runs his feet run a mile a minute but he is not covering much ground...lol. If you take a small back he better be quick as hell and/or elusive like Barry Sanders or blazing fast. He is neither. Could have got him in round 4. He will be caught from behind often. This team cant grade linebackers or RB's.

Shula..serious question...isn't Bernard the same basic size that Ray Rice was when he got drafted by the Ravens? I don't see size as the issue here...

I think the difference is that Rice is obviously stockier/built better (he's almost 10 pounds heavier yet 2 inches shorter than Bernard) and has never had the durability concerns Bernard has (Giovanni). Maybe Bernard puts some weight/muscle on hopefully (Bernard Scott sure hasn't).

I'm not saying it's a "bad" pick, would've just preferred a S or G or C or LB, and his size/durability concerns are an issue.

I also think the Ravens' o-line is superior to the Bengals as run blockers across the board.

Now if they just grab a S or LB with their second pick, I'll be a happy guy! As for grabbing him in round 4... I highly doubt that given that no one selected an RB in round 1.

walter's insta-grade:

37. Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina: B- Grade

We heard that the Bengals were going "all in" on Eddie Lacy, but Giovani Bernard makes more sense as a complement for BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Bernard is a speed back with return ability, which is exactly what Cincinnati needed. This is a slight reach - Bernard probably would have been around for Cincinnati's second-rounder - but he's a very good fit.

Oh yeah, right, hey Peter King, how's that "Bengals are all in on Lacy" thing workin' for ya? :lmao:/>

Great pick. Big play guy who can totally change a game with one run, catch, or return.

I'm thinking people who criticize him just didn't watch many UNC games. At he end if the year he was considered the top back in the county.

I don't think anyone's criticizing "him," the Bengals' got arguably the best RB in the draft, but, it wasn't a "huge" need (IMO) and was a bit of a reach at that spot.

Eh, hoping for the best with him, there's no doubt they need a 50/50 compliment to BJGE.

Great pick. Big play guy who can totally change a game with one run, catch, or return.

I'm thinking people who criticize him just didn't watch many UNC games. At he end if the year he was considered the top back in the county.

I don't think anyone's criticizing "him," the Bengals' got arguably the best RB in the draft, but, it wasn't a "huge" need (IMO) and was a bit of a reach at that spot.

Eh, hoping for the best with him, there's no doubt they need a 50/50 compliment to BJGE.

I'm curious, with our O struggling so much last year, what would you have considered a bigger need, OT perhaps? I know we have needs at S and LB but our defense played really well. With our run game being pretty weak, why do you consider this area not to be a huge need?

wasn't a "huge" need (IMO) and was a bit of a reach at that spot.

I think most - myself certainly included - would disagree with you on RB not being a need

I think one has to factor need and system into BPA, and this fellow was such a good fit that it isn't too much of a reach