2nd Round #2: DE Margus Hunt

ArmyBengal

Hmm, didn't really think DE was what we needed for the D to improve. I hope the do something about LB in the third round. I don't think I can take watching Rey miss tackles for much longer...

Absolutely love this pick, and think the Bengals are a perfact team for this raw measurable freak. At his size he ran a 4.62 forty and 38 reps of 225 with those long arms. He will make an impact immediately on the FG and punt block team, but this will be a redshirt year on D.

Yeah, one of MJ and Dunlap will be gone next year, but didn't we already know that?

Based on the fact that MJ did not seem interested in a long term contract, I am guessing he is the one who is gone next year

If I had to choose between MJ and Dunlap, tho, it isn't even close - MJ had one big game and some flashes at other times, whereas Dunlap made huge plays even when he wasn't getting the sack

Don't get me wrong - I like MJ - I just like Dunlap a heckuva lot more.

Well good DE rotation will be nice...Just worry this means they plan on letting MJ or Dunlap walk next year.

If MJ goes, we have a replacement. Circle of life. I like MJ, but he isn't irreplaceable.

Can't complain about this Draft though SS does worry me,Maybe Zimmer has faith in mays?

Estonia has not been a fertile scouting ground for the NFL in the past, but teams might consider going abroad more consistently if they can find talents like Hunt. His name first appeared on the international athletic scene after he won gold medals in both the shot put and discus events at the 2006 World Junior Track and Field Championships in Beijing. Hunt, who also won the 2005 European Junior discus title, was the first junior ever to pull off that double.

Hunt arrived at SMU in 2007, working with track and field coach Dave Wollman with the hopes they would revive the previously cut mens program. That didnt come through, so he decided to turn his attention to the football field. He made his name on special teams in his first year with the Mustangs, blocking seven kicks (one short of the NCAA record). Hunt had eight tackles in 13 games, including a sack against Nevada in the teams Hawaii Bowl victory. He started all 13 games as a sophomore, registering 6.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and three blocked kicks. And though he started just two of the 13 games in which he played in 2011, his three-sack effort in the BBVA Compass Bowl win over Pittsburgh made scouts take notice. He also blocked four more kicks, giving him 14 in his career - including an NCAA career record nine field goals.

Following his breakout bowl performance, Hunt earned the number one spot in Bruce Feldmans Annual Freak List, noting Hunts incredible combination of size, length, and speed. He took over a starting role at defensive end for SMU his senior year. His knack for blocking kicks continued, ending his career with 17 total, two short of the NCAA record. He accumulated 31 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and one interception on his way to earning first team All-Conference USA honors. He has displayed impressive progression through his career and figures to be heavily coveted by 3-4 teams to play defensive end.

Analysis

Strengths

Tall, thick but athletic lineman with loads of potential. Much quicker than youd expect off the snap given his size, and his long first step helps him pressure the outside shoulder of tackles when outside and win the gap at three-technique. Shows the ability to anchor from both the 3-tech and 5-tech spots. Has the speed to run the arm and beat tackles off the edge. Fast and strong hands stun his man, extends his arms to keep leverage. Uses his length very well to keep blockers off his body. Plays contain well on the edge, pops off his block and swallows backs with his strong upper body. Long strides eat a lot of grass when closing to the quarterback. Good closing speed. Will chase plays downfield. Height and length allow him to affect quarterbacks vision when unable to reach him; they also make him an ideal interior player on the field goal block team. Flashes the ability to come off the ball hard and low in short-yardage situations despite his height. Good natural strength can anchor and shed even when he loses the leverage battle. Varies the tempo of his pass rush well once the offensive line overplays his speed rush.

Weaknesses

Must be cognizant to play with bend due to his height, pops up off the snap and will stand upright during the play if tired, losing leverage. Agile for his size, but is still a linear athlete with questionable change of direction and flexibility. More mobile quarterbacks and quick running backs will elude him in the backfield. Turning the corner on his initial pass rush is a chore due to his bulk. Still learning the game, must find the ball consistently. Older than most prospects (will be 25). Doesn't bring his body when he tackles and subsequently misses a lot. Ineffective bull rush due to not playing with leverage and lacks counters when his initial move fails.

NFL Comparison

Calais Campbell

Bottom Line

Hunt initially moved to the United States from his native Estonia to further his amateur track career (he won gold medals in the shot put and discus at the 2006 World Junior Championships). Now the 25 year-old uses his elite size/athleticism combination to make an impact on defense (three sacks in the BVAA Compass Bowl against Pittsburgh to finish off 2011, a sack and two forced fumbles against Fresno in the Hawaii Bowl) and special teams (17 blocked kicks in four years). Fulfilling his potential as a starting NFL five-technique defensive end as a senior could land him in the top half of the first round in April.

Well good DE rotation will be nice...Just worry this means they plan on letting MJ or Dunlap walk next year.

If MJ goes, we have a replacement. Circle of life. I like MJ, but he isn't irreplaceable.

For sure I like MJ but I also like him for the right price,Same with Dunlap hopefully we can get em both for Geather type deals then have a strong rotation for years to come.

and it doesn't stop with his size/speed ratio

very long arms - 34in - and usually longer armed guys have a harder time getting high numbers on the 225 lifts - but this guy did 38 of them

T H I R T Y E I G H T

size + wingspan + speed + strength = scarey high potential

obviously, it remains to be seen if all these physical blessings - potential - can be translated into football production, but with Zimmer as his DC, I am VERY optimistic

I am really geeked about this pick. Its not just the measureables, I am loving that his make-up is getting such good reviews. Hard worker. Put hard work with raw talent and Zim, fascinating possibilities.

The reason I said a Geathers' replacement is that he seems to be a 3-down type who can play against the run. I also do not think MJ is worth all the $ he'll command after one great year, but if he does it again next year, then he will be, and he's much more durable than Dunlap.

Please draft a Safety (free or strong) next round, I've never seen a defense this good in such dire need of one, and a LB and C/G wouldn't be bad either.

The Robert Sands' types just aren't cutting it in the later rounds, find a solid guy you can count on, it's silly how deficient the S position is, and how important it's become.