1st Round: Tyler Eifert

ArmyBengal

Dear wraith:

No

No, they won't need five tight ends. Smith and Quinn prob cut.

I am fine with that. Losing zero sleep over that, in fact.

---membengal

So the scenario of Gresham, Charles and Eifert adds more to the team than Gresham, Charles, Smith/Quinn AND a replacement for Andre Smith (who still hasn't inked his offer) ???? I don't believe it does

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

File Jay's comments under "lying liars who lie." They're letting Jermaine down easy. Unless Eifert is a bust and Gresham blows up this season, Gresham will be gone next year.

The idea that they drafted Eifert in the first to be a backup is absurd.

so why use the first pick THIS year to replace a guy possibly leaving NEXT year ???? I'd have much preferred an OT and stuck two fingers up to Smith or a position that can contribute this year - LB, CB, Safety, whatever.

I really really really don't get this as our first round selection

Eifert will contribute immediately. Jay is a lying liar who lies. He'll get snaps all over the field.

As for Gresh, I suspect they are looking at Dunlap, MJ and Atkins all being free agents in 2014, Green and Dalton up in 2015 and another $6 million (give or take) getting chewed up this year when they finally sign Moobs. I want all those guys more than I want Jermaine, and I think they do too. And there's no guarantee the top TE will be on the board when they pick next April, or that he would be BPA if he was.

Dear wraith:

No

No, they won't need five tight ends. Smith and Quinn prob cut.

I am fine with that. Losing zero sleep over that, in fact.

---membengal

So the scenario of Gresham, Charles and Eifert adds more to the team than Gresham, Charles, Smith/Quinn AND a replacement for Andre Smith (who still hasn't inked his offer) ???? I don't believe it does

Eifert was the best offensive player in this draft, besides O-lineman, so how is this wrong the bengals took him at 21? He was not going to last into day 2, so the bengals were smart to take him. The way it sounds the bengals wanted him all along, and he fell to them! Nothing wrong with giving Dalton more weapons, with the best offensive player on the board. Dalton can throw high, and watch this guy go up and get it, it's amazing. Who cares about Quinn or Smith, with Gresham, Eifert, Charles, that's a pretty scary bunch, also throw in AJ, Sanu, Jones, Hawkins, yep Dalton has no excuses now!

I think that they have Gresham signed for two more years but I agree that they won't go further than that, if that.

His replacement arrived just a little early.

Yup. And yes, Gresh is signed through 2014. I would not be surprised if he was trade bait about this time next year.

Even if he is not traded outright before the end of 2014, if he signs a substantial contract elsewhere in the 2015 offseason, it will enhance our comp picks allotment in 2016

Naturally, my preference would be for him to do what he can to improve himself enough to fend off Eifert as TE1, become the star Hernandez and Gronk have already become and he could have been, and remain a Bengal

Well I really wanted: Justin Hunter and we could have traded down and still have gotten him.

But the Bengals do seen to be getting good grades for the pick that they made.

And you might find it interesting to read some of the things that fans of the other teams in our division are says about it.

Scouts.com Browns Board

Scouts.com Ravens Board

Scouts.com Steelers Board

Gruden's comments are somewhat puzzling... bring him along...? What, is this kid as dumb as CHase Coffman?he went to Notre Dame, he can't be a total vegetable.

I'm guessing it's for PR reasons and Jay is probably gonna have to add some new plays to his playbook having this new toy.

Even if he is not traded outright before the end of 2014, if he signs a substantial contract elsewhere in the 2015 offseason, it will enhance our comp picks allotment in 2016

Naturally, my preference would be for him to do what he can to improve himself enough to fend off Eifert as TE1, become the star Hernandez and Gronk have already become and he could have been, and remain a Bengal

Agreed,if they can become that our Offense could get pretty scary.Because I like our Wide Receivers more then the Patriots.

Now that Smith has signed OT is not the glaring necessity that it was when Eifert was taken, so that takes the edge off of my rancour a wee bit. just a wee bit.

But if Smith or Quinn remain on the roster and/or Eifert doesn't get much quality time on the field I'll be screaming for a mountain oyster kebab of Grudens and Lewis's gonads on a very sharp stick !!

I have moved quickly through the stages and have now landed firmly in acceptance with Eifert.

I just hope Gruden gets everything out of him he says he's going to.

If he pays off in doing nothing more than boosting their redzone productivity, I will take it.

I just hope they don't try ruin him by mind set have become a blocker if you don't no play time for you.To me he is simply a 6'6 250lb Wide Receiver whos gonna make life hell for Linebackers & Safetys. Which is okay with me ^.^

Not a fan of this pick. Maybe I am biased because of the ND connection, but IMHO a TE this early doesn't seem like the best option.

Hope they use him and Gresham enough to actually justify using two high picks on TE. I will be very happy to be wrong, if he gives Dalton a solid weapon on the goal line.

Gresh is a FA in 2015, so they've got him for two more years. I agree, he could be expendable. Drafting Eifert was a wake-up call for Jermaine, who could easily find himself on the trade block next year.

That said, Kaz is right, Eifert brings WR skills to the position and can line up as a TE, slot receiver or on the outside. He has AJ Green-like ability to go up and find the ball. If you dig up Diggy's (Emory Hunt's) TE preview on youtube he attributes Eifert's lack of YAC to having to constantly locate and adjust to bad throws from ND's QB. If you're on the Andy Dalton sucks train, then Tyler is your guy.

This is a good pick.